Newest Addition, Sireno Jr. about 1912-1915

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Just added my oldest siren yet to my Sireno collection. A 1912 - 1915 Sireno Junior with a short projector. These came out in 1909 with the 12 port flush cover design. It came with a long projector and a short projector. Part of the "Mile Ahead Horn", this little horn/whistle is very loud. Still hits about 112 decibels. These were not sold as sirens for alert use, they were sold as horns for ordinary vehicle use.

20181223_121209 (Small).jpg

It is just 7 inches long with the projector and has a 3-1/2" fan. At times it was advertised for motorcycle use, or for in city driving of smaller, less expensive cars.

20181223_121259 (Small).jpg

First mentioned in 1909 ads, but is is the first photo I could find so far.

1910 Sireno.jpg

Last edited:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't know why they call that horn-shaped thing a projector. The sound comes out of the sides of a mechanical siren, not the front.o_O

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
This is the funny thing with electro mechanical sirens, the air is sucked in at the front and thrown out at the sides by the wings in the rotor.
The ports in the stator opens and closes all the time that generates a sound (pressure) inside the siren.
The sound (pressure) is generates inside and not outside the stator.
I believe that the sound waves takes the easiest way out and that is the same way the air got in because the ports is closed half the time they are open.

Michael

Reactions: Skulldigger

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.