NFPA B6MMRAP question.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I am curious as to why the 700 series Amber linear LED in the base of this assembly does not come with a sync wire?
My Dept just replaced the 2 RB6? (Halogen rotator and halogen amber flasher) with these B6MMRAP assemblies. They are red L31 beacons on top of a polished aluminum base that houses a 700 linear LED. This is the NFPA version and both light heads (L31 & 700) have 2? patterns. I understand that part and reasoning. When the mechanic changed out the assemblies he did not hook up the sync wire (between the L31 and the 700) . There is no sync wire that goes between both sides of the truck. My intention was to set the red L31 and the amber 700 to different phases and connect the sync wire wetween the 2. That way at least the red and amber on the same side wouldn’t flash together and make a blur, it would create less off time for rear facing lightheads, etc.
So I open up the light assebly and found the L31 gray sync wire, purple low power wire, white/purple trace pattern wire and of coarse the red and black power/grounded wires. Get to the 700 light head and found only 4 wires coming out of it. Power, ground, pattern change, and low power.... No sync wire!
Can anybody tell me the reasoning behind this?
Sorry for the long post.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The 600-series, 700-series, and 900-series lightheads were not available with a sync wire until just a few years ago. The sync version of these lightheads is a relatively new introduction to the product line.

Last edited:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Hmmm... that’s interesting. Never knew that. I have never really gotten into the bigger heads. I have only worked with 400 and 500 series really. Both were linear smart heads. Trying to remember the mfg dates on them. I am guessing from mid to late 2000’s. I just figured all of their smart heads were syncable.
Thanks for the info shues.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There are essentially three types of 700-series SmartLED lightheads:
  • Two-wire steady-burn
  • Four-wire flashing with low-power
  • Four-wire flashing with sync
However, as far as I have seen only two of those three are listed in any of Whelen's price lists:
  • 70*02S*R Red, Blue, Amber or White, without Flange, Requires LED Flasher Purchased Separately
  • 70*02F*R Red, Blue, Amber or White, Includes Internal Flasher with Flash Patterns, Steady-Burn and Hi/Low Power
The current Automotive price list is here: http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/PriceLists/01_Automotive_Price_List-18.1.pdf

The price list makes it clear that the 70*02F*R is the model for the four-wire flashing with low-power variety. The four-wire flashing sync variety does not seem to have been given a model number, just a part number:

01-06864196_0 700 LINEAR TIR SYNC 12V​

I found that part number in the 700-series installation manual: https://www.whelen.com/install/139/13901.pdf

Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.