NFPA standard for brush truck

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Since FS is no longer making the Arjent I can't find the NFPA for it.

We are in the process of configuiring a new brush truck.

And I thought I could save some money on it by use the 53'' Arjent I built which has red cudas all the way around it with a 6 lamp TA.

Can be seen in custom lightbar page 15 and to post 450 for all pictures.

Any help would be helpful.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
a brush rig would have a different standard than an engine, were getting a new bruch truck and just went through all this, a brush truck is not required to have the rear chevrons, or a data recorder. I cant recall the specs tho.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Shawn L said:
a brush rig would have a different standard than an engine, were getting a new bruch truck and just went through all this, a brush truck is not required to have the rear chevrons, or a data recorder. I cant recall the specs tho.

I found out it's not a brush truck persay but an Urban Interface truck.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
All of our brush trucks are simple. Some kind of bar on top ( usually an Edge, since they're cheaper to fix if hit by low hanging branches and stuff) with HAWS in all four corners, and a couple have grill/ brush guard strobes. The City FD has a kick ass Humvee that was purchased from the Air Force about 10 years ago, I believe.

afarm4.staticflickr.com_3639_3492442299_e5f9921ff0.jpg

Frankfort FD by columind99, on Flickr

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Have a look at the Small Apparatus requirements of NFPA 1901. There you'll find the specific light meter requirements.

It's probably fair to say that a fully-loaded modern full-size LED lightbar should blow those requirements out of the water. The more research you do into NFPA packages offered by the major players, the more rather sparsely populated bars you'll see. Generally speaking, it only takes a handful of LED lightheads to meet NFPA 1901.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
shues said:
Have a look at the Small Apparatus requirements of NFPA 1901. There you'll find the specific light meter requirements.

It's probably fair to say that a fully-loaded modern full-size LED lightbar should blow those requirements out of the water. The more research you do into NFPA packages offered by the major players, the more rather sparsely populated bars you'll see. Generally speaking, it only takes a handful of LED lightheads to meet NFPA 1901.

There is a big discussion about nfpa 1901 vs 1906 as far as utility, qav, brush rigs ect. Most 3/4 ton trucks would fall under 1906 due to weight ability. Now that said since it's just lighting it would be the same requirements as any other nfpa approved vic. 360 degree from 500 ft away iirc (maybe it's 50 I don't remember with out looking it up)

A full sized lightbar will be ok. Add a few m5s on the back and you'll be set.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
NFPA has 2 standards for emergency lighting on fire trucks; large vehicle and small vehicle.

Large apparatus = vehicles over 25' long OR if the lightbar is 8' off the road or more.

Small vehicle = < 25' long AND lightbar is < 8' off the road

If your vehicle is a 'small vehicle', then you only need an NFPA compliant bar, front grille lights, and a light on each front corner facing sideways (there is no standard that the grille and corner lights have to meet, but best to use SAE Class 1). This also assumes you can see the bar from 360 degrees around the vehicle. For example, if you have an equipment box on the back that blocks the lightbar to the rear, then clearly you'd need to add lights to the rear as traffic approaching from the rear of the vehicle couldn't see the bar.

In the "small vehicle" class there is no requirement for any additional lighting, but keep in mind that NFPA is a minimum standard.

The Hummer pictured above would be NFPA compliant assuming the bar is < 8' off the road surface.

Pretty much any loaded bar will meet NFPA, especially if it has a couple whites flashing in it facing forward. If you built up a bar, FedSig won't be able to certify it - they can only do that with bars that they have built and tested. However, given your description of the bar, I think it'd exceed NFPA requirements.

See Technical Guides for Compliance with NFPA and other standards | Federal Signal .

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
leftcoastmark said:
NFPA has 2 standards for emergency lighting on fire trucks; large vehicle and small vehicle.

Large apparatus = vehicles over 25' long OR if the lightbar is 8' off the road or more.

Small vehicle = < 25' long AND lightbar is < 8' off the road

If your vehicle is a 'small vehicle', then you only need an NFPA compliant bar, front grille lights, and a light on each front corner facing sideways (there is no standard that the grille and corner lights have to meet, but best to use SAE Class 1). This also assumes you can see the bar from 360 degrees around the vehicle. For example, if you have an equipment box on the back that blocks the lightbar to the rear, then clearly you'd need to add lights to the rear as traffic approaching from the rear of the vehicle couldn't see the bar.

In the "small vehicle" class there is no requirement for any additional lighting, but keep in mind that NFPA is a minimum standard.

The Hummer pictured above would be NFPA compliant assuming the bar is < 8' off the road surface.

Pretty much any loaded bar will meet NFPA, especially if it has a couple whites flashing in it facing forward. If you built up a bar, FedSig won't be able to certify it - they can only do that with bars that they have built and tested. However, given your description of the bar, I think it'd exceed NFPA requirements.

See Technical Guides for Compliance with NFPA and other standards | Federal Signal .

There are no front facing white lights it.

From what you said I need to put at least 2 in correct?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
chief1565 said:
Since FS is no longer making the Arjent I can't find the NFPA for it.
We are in the process of configuiring a new brush truck.

And I thought I could save some money on it by use the 53'' Arjent I built which has red cudas all the way around it with a 6 lamp TA.

Can be seen in custom lightbar page 15 and to post 450 for all pictures.

Any help would be helpful.

What exactly is the question here...are you asking for what NFPA recommends for the lightbar (so that you can configure the custom arjent as close as possible to that), or are you asking for help with an overall package?

As far as the Arjent goes, any clear modules that you add will have to have a park kill. As far as custom-built lightbars, they technically wouldn't meet the standard b/c that particular custom bar's output/config wouldn't have been tested. The only way I'd go about modifying the custom project bar is buying spare Solaris inboards & mounting them in a config mimic-ing some of the formerly-released arjent NFPA-compliant configurations

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well thanks for everybodies input.

I think I might withdraw my because It will probably be rejected by the manufacturer of the new truck.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
chief1565 said:
There are no front facing white lights it.
From what you said I need to put at least 2 in correct?

For what it's worth, white lightheads are not required. White is allowed in Zone A (the front of the apparatus) during Calling for the Right of Way, but must automatically shut off during Blocking the Right of Way.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
shues said:
For what it's worth, white lightheads are not required. White is allowed in Zone A (the front of the apparatus) during Calling for the Right of Way, but must automatically shut off during Blocking the Right of Way.

I wouldn't know how to set that up in the bar never done it. Unless I wire the whites into the pursuit switch on the code3 3892L6. But then the driver need to be remember to scale back the switch one position. Also does it need to flash or can it be steady burn. Can always change the frt.works to that or flash.

This idea of saving the dept. money is getting worse by the post.

Wish I had a video of the bar in action for all to see.

I also looked at some other manufacturers trucks and I don't think the built in TA going to work.

And not be able to put one on the back either.

Boy trying to save dept. money seems more of a pain the it's worth in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
chief1565 said:
Well thanks for everybodies input.
I think I might withdraw my because It will probably be rejected by the manufacturer of the new truck.

Who's building the truck...Are you going with someone local (ie Priority Fire for the full unit, or having Admiral do the blinkies)?

It honestly is sometimes just easier to start with new equipment & save yourself the hassle of extra work. Personally, I don't know of many manufacturers that will take old products from the customer to install on new builds (since they depend on revenue from the sale of the lighting equipment), let alone put a project bar on a build that they're working on. I'm not saying that they're not manufacturers/upfitters out there that won't, but (aside from smaller businesses that do POV & smaller dept installs) most won't. Personally, if I was the manufacturer building a brand new 1901-compliant truck for a customer, I'd only use brand new, unaltered lights; on the other hand, if it's an older truck, there's more freedom of upgrading lighting since the current 1901 standards apply to new trucks.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I guess you're all right.

I was just thinking of saving a few dolllers here.

But I think I will with draw the offer at our next committee meeting. I'll just see if I can sell it here on the board.

It's going to be built from the tires up so I guess I'll let them decide what do do. It will be an all around use vehicle. The one we have niow was the only vehicle that could get down to a couple of places and not get stuck and small enough. (4x4) a must.

But with being on here for the past 3 years I've learned alot about lighting so I can at least put a good .50 worth of thought on the table when it does com to the lighting part of the build.

I've looked at a few different manufactures. And we are talking about possiable rear panel and a booster reel somewhere in there. And talk was suggested about a TA and I don't see how with the way they want it made and from what I've looked at.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I wouldn't worry about the TA; it's too much of a PITA on brush trucks IMO. LEF beacons are the way to go b/c they can be mounted on top of the unit & provide both side & rear warning

Have u considered a removable skid unit? If I recall correctly, Dryden's skid unit on 542 is removable so that they can use it for a utility/multi-purpose vehicle in the off-season. Since there aren't tons of brush fires in Tompkins, i personally don't think it's necessary just to have a dedicated brush unit (unless there are plans to have 1.5-2.5" discharges for attack lines on long driveways that other apparatus can't reach)

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
pdk9 said:
I wouldn't worry about the TA; it's too much of a PITA on brush trucks IMO. LEF beacons are the way to go b/c they can be mounted on top of the unit & provide both side & rear warning

Have u considered a removable skid unit? If I recall correctly, Dryden's skid unit on 542 is removable so that they can use it for a utility/multi-purpose vehicle in the off-season. Since there aren't tons of brush fires in Tompkins, i personally don't think it's necessary just to have a dedicated brush unit (unless there are plans to have 1.5-2.5" discharges for attack lines on long driveways that other apparatus can't reach)
That's the idea after one of the fires we had we were the only truck able to get to the fire.

It was like a foot path to place.

Uh but you're wrong about the brush fires we get alot around here.

And we have alot of homes that are not very accessable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.