No-Sho

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I'm not sure how many remember this, but here goes...
Back in the late 80's & early 90's, there was a line of products known as No-Sho. They were primarily made for unmarked squads and I believe they were a sister or co-branded line put out by Sho-Me. They were lights that were pretty standard/civilian looking until they were turned on. Two items I remember best were the fog lights and high-beams (back when high-beams were replaceable glass rectangles). They looked kinda like normal glass, but a tad darker. You could tell up close, but not so much in traffic. I'm pretty sure that the practice of putting colored strobes inside the vehicle's factory light housings pretty much replaced them. Anyway, am I the only one that remembers these? I never see any No-Sho items anywhere on the web so I am assuming most departments pitched them, especially since the end of this era also marked the beginning of the aerodynamic squad era which killed the rectangle glass headlights. What do you know and remember about this product line and its scarcity today?

I put this in "Other" rather than "Sho-Me" because it deals with an obsolete vintage line of product and because I am not entirely sure if they were owned by Sho-Me. If the mods think it should be under Sho-Me instead, well work your magic. :)

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
Yes, the strobe headlights were manufactured by Able2. They were expensive, maybe $300-$400 for a pair, with a weird power supply. They were effective on truly unmarked cars that had very limited lighting options, like surveillence cars and warrant units. They had halogen colored models too! Overall, they were probably better than a regular wig-wag, but were expensive to replace if the car was wrecked.

On these cars, we also used to put the antennae on the inside rear deck... and changed bumper stickers pretty often!

This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABLE2-SHO-M...ash=item2ef2f9082e:g:XfgAAOSwawpXrktn&vxp=mtr. I dont remember ever using the blue filter.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
....On these cars, we also used to put the antennae on the inside rear deck....
I had forgotten about that until now. There were also some red/blue wig-wags that had a motorized lid that went well on the rear deck. When off, the lid closed and they kinda looked like speakers.
I remember the halogen version of them.
Yeah that's the kind I remember. The strobes I mentioned in the OP are what I believe made No-Sho become a thing of the past.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
There were also some red/blue wig-wags that had a motorized lid that went well on the rear deck. When off, the lid closed and they kinda looked like speakers.

Yeah, I had forgotten about those too, the mechanical cover would always get stuck or break. We used them as grille lights and driving lights. We spent a lot of time trying to stay covert. But, one of my chiefs drove a Taurus wagon with red.blue colored PAR36 heads hanging below the front bumper... and most people never noticed them until he pulled someone over.

Reactions: Wolfie

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.