Noob 4200 Mini Question

Knight Rider

Jun 15, 2021
Canada
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 4200 Mini controller & got it installed successfully a few weeks ago.
My install is a work in progress, but prior to purchasing anything, I made myself a document that outlines my entire install.

Button 1: 2 grill T3s
Button 2: 2 side facing T3s (1 on each side of the back rack for side lighting)
Button 3: Dash light (or visor light)
Button 4: Rear lighting (2 T3s on headache & a Fusion 600 Single Color Lightstick in rear window)
Button 5: Left Arrow function
Button 6: Right Arrow function

(Grill T3s & rear T3s are completed as of this post.)

Now that my general plan is outlined, I have a question.
I emailed Feniex & a 3rd party distributor for Feniex & they both advised that to have the Fusion 600's brown (Mode 1) wire, connected to Button 4 with my 2 rear T3s, I would be over the 3.5A max per output on the mini & to utilize a relay instead to safely do this. Per my details above, it's not possible to wire the brown wire to its own output entirely.

I've done a bit of research on relays & determined that a 4 pin relay will likely suit my needs.
I've never had to use a relay before though, so my question is, in using a relay (as suggested by Feniex) wired to the brown wire of the Fusion 600, will I still be under the 3.5A max?
-> Asking because I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on how many amps it would take to "trigger" the relay, & therefore turn on the Fusion 600. I'm assuming it's a relatively low number.

I did search the forums prior to posting, & could not seem to find a previous post that seemed to closely match my plans & my question, hence me making this post.
Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to help.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It will take quite a bit more power to engage the relay than it will to keep the relay engaged. You can expect a higher current requirement for a small fraction of a second when engaging the relay. However, in practice, this is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The coil of a common automotive relay requires far less than one amp to remain engaged. If you pick one up from the parts store, you can use a multimeter to confirm this for yourself.

Knight Rider

Jun 15, 2021
Canada
The relay I plan to use (since it's available at my local store without ordering online) is a 40 amp one, which is definitely more then enough. (Pilot Automotive 40 Amp Relay)
I'm just concerned with how much it will need to engage it, mainly because the planned output already has the 2 T3s which makes a 1.5 Amp load on it already & can only handle another 1.5A. I'm assuming it won't need that much to engage it, even if it's only for a fraction of a second.

The 4200 Mini's manual doesn't say what happens if you go over the max 3.5A (I imagine it'd just turn that output off like if one goes over the max 12A output for the entire controller, the entire thing shuts off), but I'd rather not find out if that's not the case.

I asked this question way ahead of time, so I haven't ordered the Fusion 600 or purchased a relay yet, but I will soon & see what happens. I'll do my best to report back on the end result

Thank you for the polite response & information.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
FWIW....I run my vehicle in zones off of 2 4200 minis. No relays,
Mini 1 is warning, 4 zones (frt, rear, d side, p side), pattern change, one blank for expansion.
Mini 2 is flood/scene same 4 zones as above plus power to d side and p side for floods.
Full libby, 4 grilles, side sticks, 4 widelux and 2 fusions rear.
Only time I have an issue is when I run ALL the scenes at once...I can run 3 sides but not 4. And they just shut off if i try to do so.

Knight Rider

Jun 15, 2021
Canada
The mode wire for the Fusion 600 is a low current trigger. You shouldn’t need a relay.
That’s what I thought too, especially after I watched a video on wiring the fusion light sticks in general (video had a 600 in it but it applies to all lightsticks).
The video specifically said the red wire going to the battery carries the entire amp load (4A I believe).
However, I emailed Feniex & Ultra Bright Lightz (they made the wiring video) & outlined my intended plan & asked if I’d be going over other that 3.5A max or if I’d be under it.

Feniex rep said “The current can vary depending on how many of the wires are active at once since some of the wires can override others.” & recommended using a relay to safely accomplish my plan.

UBL straight up said “You would be over the 3.5 amps limit.” & recommended wiring it to another output entirely (which per my planned setup wouldn’t be possible).

The relay recommendation from Feniex & UBL straight up saying that I’d be over the limit is what I based making this topic off of.

The low current comment being said, I can still try without a relay, but does anyone know exactly what happens if it did end up being over the 3.5A max on one output?
(I’m assuming it would just shut off that output as I said in Post #3)

I have yet to order the Fusion 600, but that will hopefully be soon, along with purchasing that above linked relay at the local store (can be returned if it’s not needed).

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I do read each response even if I don’t respond to this topic right away (or at all). I will make sure to try update what route I ended up taking once things are ordered & purchased & have been installed.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I don't believe UBL does installs. They are reading spec sheets and the spec sheet would make you think that. Practical installer knowledge suggest otherwise. I still don't see it being an issue. You would have issues with the output not working if it overloaded it.

If it was me.... I'd send it.

Reactions: squints

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.