NOS Aurora Borealis on ebay

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
Wow! an NOS Aurora Borealis is up on ebay now for a wopping $2,300.00 buy it now price. Check this gem out y'all! :eek:

Any links to it appreciated thanks! The look up is at (vintage whelen lights on ebay)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Holy crap-balls!!!! Somebody WILL want that really badly, if they got the cash to pony up for it...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
" The only flaw is the slight crack in the clear plexi-glass dome (see last photograph)."

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Too bad the Aurora Borealis light bars are so rare. Of all the light bars I've seen that one is my favourite. If they were more common and could be had more cheaply I'd get one.

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
Not to poop in anyone's Post Toasties but the condition says "used" and the description says "ready to go back in service", so I'm assuming it's used?

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
FedSigFan said:
Not to poop in anyone's Post Toasties but the condition says "used" and the description says "ready to go back in service", so I'm assuming it's used?
Looks like it was in service long ago probably for like 2 days lol! :mrgreen: Whats really cool is if you

go back and forth with the mouse on the lit pics, it shows the function, pretty cool!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Respondcode3 said:
Its amazing that they are so rare. Alot of the fire trucks in the Chicago area from the mid 60's to the late 70's had them. They all had to go somewhere..

Chicago used to smash them and then throw them in the dumpster from what I have been told.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Actually, the powers that be in Chicago ordered all surplus lights from CFD and CPD to be cut up or smashed and destroyed after they left service, including the Aurora Borealis and the famous Mars crossbars from Chicago PD. That's why these lights are so rare and in demand. They were very few of them that slipped out the back door unscathed and guys who worked at CFD and CPD couldn't even get them.

One time, they buried the remains and paved a parking lot over them. Seriously, I'm not kidding, and I got that info firsthand from someone at the shop that saw it done.

I believe Greg Reynolds, the expert on all things Chicago and a frequent contributor to copcar.com, is a member here on elightbars and can verify or add more to this info. Hopefully, he will........

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Yes chicago PD did sell the bars for scrap, after they were destroyed. There is no parking lot with them buried in it. The were sold to a scrap dealer. The FD did not destroy they mostly went with the rigs or over time were in such bad shape they were disposed of anyway. Also most suburban FD's also had Mars lights at one time so there is more out there than just Chicago that used Mars. When fire trucks are sold they usualy dont remove the lights .

No Greg is not a member here.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Does anyone have $2325 I can borrow, ok, have? :D Or we could put our $ together and do a light share program. :twisted: :lol:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.