NOS Code 3 Stinger in housing like Mars 888.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I just picked this NOS Code 3 flush mount Stinger in cast housing in a large lot of other NOS stuff.

I know it was intended to be mounted on the front cab of an engine and was a to be like a Mars 888.

It is in perfect condition and works awesome. It has a halogen bulb in it now and is extremely bright. I would guess you could put in a red bulb or any color you want. Clear gives the best pop though.

Does anyone know what this actually was called? It has marked on it the original price of $360 and looks like a model number 600X.

NOS Inventory 020.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Simply called "Stinger, flush mount, square chrome bezel". They were also listed with a round bezel, which I have been looking for since the late 90s. Chicago used these as one of only 5 lights on the front of their Collins ambulances in the 90s. I love these, the 2 non-synchronized motors makes a really random pattern. I wish they still made these, I'd use them on the front everything I could.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_23_1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRhIEEVEthk

Part way down this post there are pics showing it on Chicago rigs.

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/showthread.php?9072-My-collection-down-to-mostly-whelen

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
We still have two old engines with these lights in the front grill. I am waiting for these older engines to get taken out of service in hopes that I can grab one or both of them. I would love to have one.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
JohnMarcson said:

Very interesting how they mounted them on their rigs. I saw the one in your collection in the housing, wondered how they were mounted. I have a lot of older Code 3 catalogs, but they are buried at the moment. I do recall now that page scan you posted with the XL bar and other accessories.

It is a pretty cool piece.

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
Here is some literature that I have.

At the bottom is some NOS faceplates that I have for these lights. They use the square housing and just change the bezel to make it round.

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_aa92a0e4.jpg

P1160286.jpg

P1160287.jpg

P1120046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
Here is some more...

Nevermind...i've spent 35 minutes trying to post more but I keep getting an error saying the file is too large. I've resized twice and no love so.... Sorry

:bonk:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
lite-em-up said:
Here is some more...

Nevermind...i've spent 35 minutes trying to post more but I keep getting an error saying the file is too large. I've resized twice and no love so.... Sorry

:bonk:

e-mail me the pics at elightbars@woh.rr.com and I'll post them.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Never seen a pic of the round style before... I've wanted to see an example for some time. Thanks!

They also have the option for "beacon mount" was it n a 550..... or does this just mean in a mini-XL?

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
The Chicago FD ambulances that had them were Wheeled coach. Back in the 80's the private ambulance had same box with the areo front end. It was the same rig as the CFD but we had a Force 4 XL mounted on the front of the box

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Respondcode3 said:
The Chicago FD ambulances that had them were Wheeled coach. Back in the 80's the private ambulance had same box with the areo front end. It was the same rig as the CFD but we had a Force 4 XL mounted on the front of the box

Wheeled coach and collins merged, in transition at that point...... so they may have actually been wheeled coaches at the point they sold to CFD. Collins had the rotators built directly into the front of their fiberglass housings as an option too. Eventually when wheeled coach took over fully the phased out the big fiberglass fronts of all types.

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
JohnMarcson said:
Never seen a pic of the round style before... I've wanted to see an example for some time. Thanks!

They also have the option for "beacon mount" was it n a 550..... or does this just mean in a mini-XL?

It was a mini XL or SD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
lite-em-up said:
It was a mini XL or SD
Thanks... Code 3 did call mini-lightbars beacons....

I was hoping for an actual stinger standalone beacon.... :cry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.