Federal Signal NOS/NIB Federal Sign & Signal model 17 Beacon Ray

Totally awesome to have a NOS/NIB Beacon Ray!! I would display the box and “accessories” right next to it…wowsers!

I don’t think those instructions ever changed—they were the same ones I saw in the early 70s! FedSig always included accessories with their lights, and outfitting an emergency vehicle was a lot simpler then. The switch is a push/pull type with a plastic knob that would be at home on the dash of any 40s-50s vehicle. 175/176 beacons came with a two position push/pull switch…pull out to first click and the red bulbs would light up—pull all the way out and all 4 bulbs would light up.

Cool…so cool!

Hi,

Back in the 70s and 80s, I worked on several apparatus from the 50s and only one had a push/pull switch. The rest had fat toggles. Both the 6v and the 12v trucks. These Beacon Rays were on most of them but a couple had the Hill variant.

Very cool to have found one still in it's box like that!

Stan

I would display the box and “accessories” right next to it…wowsers!
That is the plan! I need to re-arrange the collection a bit first. I'm considering putting the paper documents in a frame to keep them from degrading further. I have also thought about putting the accessories and their envelope in a shadow box to display those... Ultimately it will come down to how much room I can make as the collection room is getting a bit full.

When I was a kid I was hanging out in the back room of the town police station and came across a box exactly like that, a NOS model 173 still with the cardboard packing, gasket unused, instructions and all. The box was open, box and light were covered with dust so I asked if I could take it home and "clean it up" for them. The Lt. said sure, just be sure to bring it back! So I got to take it home and take it apart, learned what the insides looked like, jumped it to a car battery so it would light up, everything a kid could want. Eventually I washed the dome and skirt in the kitchen sink, Mom was not pleased, dried and reassembled it and took it back the next day. If only I had been smart enough to make them an offer for it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
URHUCKLEBERRY208