Nova Preemption Upgrade?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
So our agency has the Nova (now Code 3) Microthin preemption dash light mounted in windshield (some on the dash, some on the headliner) for our slick tops and unmarked vehicles. It works... "ok" but a lot of time it mainly works right when the officer is at the intersection and not a distance before. I've altered the shrouds and pointed them slightly upward which has helped but not by much.

Is there anything I can do to make these function any better?

Our upfitter recently switched over to Tomar preemptions and are mounting the strobe heads in the grill which works fantastically! Understandably that's a big cost to switch out so I'm looking to see what I can do improve these existing strobes without spending too much money.

I've even tried connecting a bigger Tomar strobe head to the Nova power supply, but the Nova power supply isn't strong enough to project the signal at a safe distance.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It has been a while since I did much with strobes. However, if I recall correctly, you may be able to use a higher wattage strobe power supply for the anode and cathode, and use your existing Nova supply to provide just the trigger. The end result should be a greater strobe output, while still flashing at the correct Opticom rate.

Reactions: SEPD_52

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Hm... Sounds like it would work. The strobe head is fine it just needs a little more 'umph' to send the signal farther. I was DMed with a solution too. I have a Nova Preemption unit that I can test these ideas with. Thank you all for the help so far!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.