Now looking for regular sized halogen grille lights

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Curious as to who still makes a fairly thin style halogen grille light. I'm wanting something that will go behind a grille, so space is kind of an issue. I'd prefer not to go for something small, for example, the Sho-me microthin style.

Long story short, if I get the "beater" vehicle I'm eye balling, I'm doing it old school and having an all halogen warning package.

*updated...now looking for regular sized halogen lights*

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Thanks for the input so far, guys. If I end up getting that vehicle (would've known tonight but seller wasn't available), I'll be able to see up close and personal the room I'll have for putting a pair HOPEFULLY behind the grille.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have used whelen grlstr AND grlhal LIGHTS , they are slightly smaller tha a 500 series and they are designed for grille use. I have some if you need them, they were also used as the "lower level " heads on the advantage series.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
May not worry about thinner style, as it looks like I'm not gonna get the GMC S-15 I was eyeballing.

But, I may go for a 94 F-150, which I think gives me a decent amount of room. I remember a set of halogen lights that Galls sold a while back, but it appears they no longer carry them. I don't know who the actual manufacture was, but the lights are also sold with clear lenses to be used as area lighting, as I've seen them on tractors, heavy duty lawnmowers, etc. I remember they came with a rubber trim that slightly "hooded" one side and were roughly the size of a Whelen 400 series lighthead (at least in lens size, they were a lot deeper).

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
whelen grille strobes fit perfectly in those grilles sections. that was the first grille light i put in my 93. they were replaced with Tir 3s which are a kinda tight squeeze

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I'm probably steering away from the thin halogen lights and going for something decent in size. Big truck=big halogen light behind the grille.

grantnet10

May 28, 2010
Westchester County, NY
Yep, I had a pair of those back when.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/forward_lighting/model_850.htm

grfd711 said:
May not worry about thinner style, as it looks like I'm not gonna get the GMC S-15 I was eyeballing.

But, I may go for a 94 F-150, which I think gives me a decent amount of room. I remember a set of halogen lights that Galls sold a while back, but it appears they no longer carry them. I don't know who the actual manufacture was, but the lights are also sold with clear lenses to be used as area lighting, as I've seen them on tractors, heavy duty lawnmowers, etc. I remember they came with a rubber trim that slightly "hooded" one side and were roughly the size of a Whelen 400 series lighthead (at least in lens size, they were a lot deeper).

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
localhero800 said:
I have a set of those with Blue LEnses. They are drilled out for strobes though.
Umm just out of curiosity, how well did those work out with the HAWS in them? I have a pair (yup same manf. in the set I picked up from Galls when they went on sale for $8.99 a pair) still in box that I haven't even looked at to install yet. Great rear deck light for low cost primary warning..

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
grfd711 said:
If you end up not using them and wanna sell 'em, holler at me. That is, if they're red.
No bueno, they're amber :)

If you're going old school BIG heads, 900 series look great - there was a member in Alaska with a pair of 900 series blue strobe heads behind the grill of his CVPI I believe quite a while ago... The videos were blinding...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
If you're going old school BIG heads, 900 series look great - there was a member in Alaska with a pair of 900 series blue strobe heads behind the grill of his CVPI I believe quite a while ago... The videos were blinding...

It's a good thing he's in Alaska and doesn't have 'cooling' issues with the temp there and those HUGE heads blocking the airflow. :shock: :mrgreen:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.