NYPD Aerodynic 24RMVF-2Z

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
For a long time there have been three lights I've wanted: CTS, Mars AB, and NYPD Aerodynic. A few years ago I found a CTS on CL for next to nothing, but it was in CA, and I'm not. I posted a link to the ad here, and a member got it. In any case, the other day I saw an ad on CL for a lightbar, and when I opened the ad I saw that it's what appeared to be an NYPD Aerodynic...for $120. It was going to be an almost two hour drive, so after many questions and photos, I told the seller I wanted it. I picked it up last night, and I'm very, very happy! The lenses aren't in the best shape, but they can be polished...there are no cracks. Plus, the seller gave me some additional red and amber lenses for no charge! And best of all, all functions as it should.

Reactions: FCV96

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Sorry, I was about be running late for a dentist appointment when I wrote the original post...I know, my priorities are messed up. I'll try to get some photos later.

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and Tony P

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Here are three photos (please excuse my messy den). I hooked up the light to a 20 amp power supply, but nothing. The seller did hook it up to a car battery booster for me, so I know it works. Is 20 amps not enough? I'm sure it doesn't help, but the power cable isn't really a cable...it's 12 gauge wire. IMG_20170406_210634050.jpg IMG_20170406_210722008.jpg IMG_20170406_203944858.jpg

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I just ran mine, which has 4 4464 bulbs of 60 watts. With the 4416 flashers bulbs, it takes about 19 amps.
If yours has 4416 rotator bulbs, it should take around 5 amps less.

To see if there is a problem, maybe take off some or all bulbs to reduce the amp draw and see if it at least turns.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Toon...thank you, good idea. I'm also going to change the power cable...I'm no expert when it comes to electricity, but 12 gauge seems a bit small.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Toon...thank you, good idea. I'm also going to change the power cable...I'm no expert when it comes to electricity, but 12 gauge seems a bit small.
Can you please check and see what sealed beams you have in your bar?
It would be interesting because there seems to be some different configurations.

Michael

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Glad you found one of your top prized bars. Can't wait to see it when you get done cleaning it up some and get her running like the good ole days. :)

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I don't think the Aerotwin bars ever ran the 4464 bulbs.. but regardless I would stay with 4416 bulbs for the rotators and either 4411 or 4414 for the flashers.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Can you please check and see what sealed beams you have in your bar?
It would be interesting because there seems to be some different configurations.

I will check, but it's going to be a while...many projects around the house, and I need to learn how to take the bar apart (yes, I am ashamed that I don't know how to do that already). I wouldn't count on the bulbs being correct, because somewhere along the line (probably the FD that used it on a truck) someone put all red bulbs in the rotators. The seller did give me three clear bulbs for free. Two of those bulbs are 4416 (one has a fluted lens, the other is a plain lens). The third bulb has no markings.

Glad you found one of your top prized bars. Can't wait to see it when you get done cleaning it up some and get her running like the good ole days. :)

Thank you.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The NYPD bars did indeed use 4464 bulbs in clear & red, that was the standard FedSig bulb for Aerotwin rotators. Here's the parts sheet:

Attachments

• AeroTwin Sonic-24R & 24X.pdf
    378.5 KB · Views: 9

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
NPS Ranger - thank you for the parts sheet!

Maxim2Eng - good idea, thank you. I have a number of lights that I plan on mounting on the wall in the basement someday. Do you happen to know the number of the 30W bulbs?

One other thing about this NYPD light: Why the odd length (3.5 sections of lenses on each side)?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
To remove the lenses, remove the 4 flat head screws (2 on each side) and gently slide the lenses towards the outside. It may take some elbow grease to get the lenses to move. They have rubber gaskets and often times stick to the aluminum base.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
One other thing about this NYPD light: Why the odd length (3.5 sections of lenses on each side)?

NYPD Aerotwins were mounted on 1982-1990 model year sedan RMPs, '82-'89 on the narrower width Plymouth M-Body roofs, for '90 the B-Body Chevrolets.

Also unlike most depts that mounted their lightbars centered over the B pillars, for some reason we mounted them forward of the B pillars, if we used the wider 52" bars at that position we'd be banging our heads on the lightbars entering and exiting the RMPs.

Last edited:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
801 & CHIEFOPS - thank you both for the information. Just curious - did other departments use bars that were 3.5 sections of lenses per side, or was this unique to NYPD?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I'm sure many non famous PD used 3.5 sections aerodynics but what comes to mind is San Diego PD, who used 3.5 sections reflector aerodynics.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Tristar.
24RMVF was a standard Federal product.
24 = AeroDynic housing
R = TwinSonic mechanics
M = medium size
V = V-mirrors
F = flashing lamps
2Z as on your bar is a Federal number for special orders.
NYPD used both 24RMVF and 24RMVF-2Z.
The standard AeroTwinSonic (24R & 24X) used 4464/60W sealed beams as the original TwinSonic did.
The 24RMVF used 4416/30W and 4414/18W.
If you search the forum for these models you will find several topics about this.
No one seems to know exactly what was in these two versions of the AeroTwinSonic that NYPD used but you will have a hint.
My personal guess is that the 2Z version had 4464 as rotating and 4416 as flashing.
The standard version had 4416 and 4414 and that NYPD reequipped the existing bars with 4464 to increase light output.
This is my personal guess at the moment.

By the way: Mars model 500 Aurora Borealis used 4416 as standard.

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Michael - thank you very much for the great information! Why would Federal used lower output bulbs in the 24RMVF vs. the standard AeroTwinSonic & Twinsonic?

Matthew

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I'm sure many non famous PD used 3.5 sections aerodynics but what comes to mind is San Diego PD, who used 3.5 sections reflector aerodynics.

toon, I think your thinking of SDSO. SDSO bought hundreds of the 3.5 panel AeroDynic's and installed them on almost every vehicle that had wheels (expect motors and their ambulances). SDPD actually never used AeroDynic's. SDPD went from the CTS to the LP6000, they did have a very limited number of Jets about the same time that CHP was using the Jets.

Reactions: denko3

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Michael - thank you very much for the great information! Why would Federal used lower output bulbs in the 24RMVF vs. the standard AeroTwinSonic & Twinsonic?

Matthew
I do not know but I think it might have been intended to be like the TwinSonic 12E/12EV/12EF was. These bars was a little cheaper and was using the 4416 instead of 4464.
NYPD used the 12EF, for your information.
I can tell you that I have a 24RMVF with the same lenses as the NYPD bar. I bought it directly from Federal and it was delivered as it was from stock. That is, it was not any special order, so I can verify that it had the 4416 and 4414 as original.

Michael

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC

Matthew
My guess- because our Aerotwins were wired to the battery so lower output bulbs taxed the battery/alternator that much less, especially if the engine wasn't running.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Thank you both for the info and history lesson. Chief - I'm not sure when you were on the job...I have a very vivid memory from when I was in my teens (mid '70s I think), as well as a black & white photo I took, of an ESU Adam, Boy, or Charlie "car" running red accross 34th street. The vehicle was not like today's...it looked more similar to the famous Squad 51 type of vehicle I think. In any case, it had a Mars AB on the roof of the cab, and I was fascinated with how attention getting it was. That was the only time I saw an AB on an NYPD vehicle. Was it an experiment?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
You probably saw one of the IH "low boy" style REPs ESU tried out mid 70s. The Mars AB was probably a field test/pilot they tried out that didn't pan out for the long term. I recall the REP lightbar iterations tended to be the same as the sedan RMP lightbars.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
The truck wasn't an International Harvester...it had a much more squarish shape to it. For what it's worth, it was during the era of the almost all blue vehicles, with a little white. Very nice colors! Much nicer than today's colors (I know...cost savings). I do recall the days of the white/dark green/black or gray(?) vehicles. I remember seeing IH Travelalls used by ESU with that color scheme (late '60s maybe). Regarding the ESU with the AB on it...I'll see if I can find the print of it. I'm sure I have the negative somewhere, but no darkroom currently. Funny...I bet many of the younger members here have no idea what a darkroom is. I guess I'm getting old.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
There's a photo of the the REP I think we're both referring to in another thread, one of only a few that ever gets published. To the best of my memory rescue squad style REPs didn't begin use until after the changeover from green to blue in 73, in the 60s they used Suburbans and or station wagons.

Here's the REP I'm thinking of,
scroll down to the bottom of the page:
http://www.policeny.com/esdreps1.html

Last edited:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
My favorite NYPD vehicle was the RMI van used back in the 80's, a Chevy van with a little red teardrop mounted forward of the windshield on the hood. Can't find a picture of it now, but it looked so low-budget that it always reminded me of the NYC fiscal crisis of the 1970's.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
There's a photo of the the REP I think we're both referring to in another thread, one of only a few that ever gets published. To the best of my memory rescue squad style REPs didn't begin use until after the changeover from green to blue in 73, in the 60s they used Suburbans and or station wagons.

Yes, that's the same type of vehicle I was talking about. I don't remember it being an IH, but I'm probably wrong. Tell me...how are different lightbars evaluated? It's got to be very difficult to quantify test results. One person could say the light worked great, another could say it was useless. No two scenarios will be the same.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I can't say for sure how bars were/are tested.
When the NYPD was gearing up for the color changeover in 1973 from green/black/white to blue/white the Twinsonic had just debuted as the first enclosed lightbar and I know a few were field-tested, as far as I know they were all red.
Ultimately we went with the Signal-Stat dual beacon/dual can-light configuration for 5 vehicle model years, before switching to the Signal-Stat DualComm for 2 or 3 model years, then the actual Twinsonic for 2 or 3 years before settling on the AeroTwin concurrent with the introduction of the M-Body Plymouth Gran Fury in 1982. These enclosed lightbars all featured 1 KISS trait- single switch activation for the entire bar.
During the the AeroTwin era, 1982-'90, I do remember several different lightbars being field-tested, usually mounted on 1 or 2 Patrol Borough Task Force RMPs in each Patrol Borough (we have 10) and maybe a handful of Highway Patrol RMPS. I specifically remember the Code 3 MX7000 and the FedSig Streethawk among them.
It's important to note that while we were using the Aerotwins, around 1986 the NYC Housing Authority Police began using all red Streethawks with rear amber flashers, while the NYC Transit Authority Police at the time were using 52" candystriped Aerodynics (I think without the flashing endlamps) on their small fleet of RMPs- mostly Suburbans with a scattering of leftover 1980 or '81 R-Body Gran Furys. During that era Transit Police practice was to run their cars into the ground, I can vividly remember in approx 1988 a Transit PD Suburban rolling up to a Police Officer Needs Assistance call at the 96th St and Broadway station and when the passenger officer slammed his door shut it fell off the truck like the Blues Mobile in Daley Plaza, they opened the rear barn doors, shoved the door inside, closed it up and headed downstairs!
I do remember once asking a Motor Transport mechanic how lightbars were chosen and he claimed one of the criteria was they compared different lightbars mounted on RMPs parked side by side on the far end of our driver training runway at Floyd Bennett Field for naked eye visibility.
I don't know if the Vision/Premium Vision lightbars were tested in advance of their selection, but I imagine their selling points were the versatility of 3 different operator-selectable rotating patterns and adjustable takedown and alley lights.

Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Ultimately we went with the Signal-Stat beacon/can light configuration (DualComm?) for 5 vehicle model years, before switching to the Signal-Stat Twinsonic clone (somebody help me, I forget the model name) for 2 or 3 model years, then the actual Twinsonic for 2 or 3 years before settling on the AeroTwin concurrent with the introduction of the M-Body Plymouth Gran Fury in 1982.
The Signal-Stat cross bar with two Signal-Stat 374 and two Trio Sales T-2 did not have any name but the enclosed Signal-Stat roof bar was infact the Dual-Comm and I assume that the Federal TwinSonic you mention was the 12EF, which is the only one I ever have seen.

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: lotsofbars

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Thank you both for all the great info! Chief - I got a good chuckle when I read your mention of the Blues Brothers movie; thanks. Regarding the Housing Authority Police using all red Streethawks...NYSP used them for a while (all red, with flashers). During the day they were absolutely useless (other than the flashers). To this day I wonder why it would have been chosen, especially in all red.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
These enclosed lightbars all featured 1 KISS trait- single switch activation for the entire bar.
CHIEFOPS,
Could you please explain what this "KISS trait- single switch" is?

I assume you remember and are familiar with the Federal 175H that NYPD was using until 1972?
Do you remember if the lights had single lamp circuits or double lamp circuits in the light heads?
The 175H had as the standard 175 a double lamp circuit so the tilted lamps could be turned off and the straight lamps only was lighted.
There was also a single lamp circuit version where all lamps was turned on at the same time without the option to cut off the tilted lamps.
Do you remember what version NYPD used?
If they used the double lamp circuit version did they have the option to turn off the tilted lamps or did they us them with a single switch as on the roof bars you mentioned?
Personally I have never seen any 175H on a NYPD car with the tilted red lamps turned off.
The straight lamps was the red and amber ones.

Michael

Last edited:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
KISS- keep it simple stupid.
The green/black/white RMPs and their equipment pre-date me, in that regard I rely on older friends for info on that stuff unless I clearly remember stuff while growing up.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
KISS- keep it simple stupid.
The green/black/white RMPs and their equipment pre-date me, in that regard I rely on older friends for info on that stuff unless I clearly remember stuff while growing up.
Thank you for your reply.
I had never heard that expression before.
If you of some reason are able to ask your old friends about the 175H, please come back and inform me.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.