NYPD Aerodynic?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
So the rotating lights were red and clear. Did the colors hit at the same time or were they opposite/alternating? I have seen both ways online but no discussion/confirmation.

I thought the flashers were simultaneous but the videos online seem to have them alternate. Any info there?

I picked one up and want to make a video. I know if the basics are not rite I will catch a lot of grief for it.

FS shipped TwinSonics/AeroTwinSonics with the lamp holders aligned to flash simultaneously to produce wha they called the “Hand-clap” visual effect directly to the front. Some agencies (or individuals) would loosen the bulb holders on one side to produce an alternating effect comparable to the model 11 Twin BeaconRay. A peculiarity of the TS beacons was that when viewed from an off axis (~45*), the flashes appeared to alternate due to the counter rotation of the bulb holders ( drivers side counter clockwise/pass side clockwise).

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So the rotating lights were red and clear. Did the colors hit at the same time or were they opposite/alternating? I have seen both ways online but no discussion/confirmation.

I thought the flashers were simultaneous but the videos online seem to have them alternate. Any info there?

I picked one up and want to make a video. I know if the basics are not rite I will catch a lot of grief for it.
If we are talking about colors, I usually see them flash at the same time, so Reds both hit the viewer at the same time. Instead of what I chose to do, which was R/C hit the viewer at the same time.

Your call.. outside of elb nobody is gonna care.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
FS shipped TwinSonics/AeroTwinSonics with the lamp holders aligned to flash simultaneously to produce wha they called the “Hand-clap” visual effect directly to the front. Some agencies (or individuals) would loosen the bulb holders on one side to produce an alternating effect comparable to the model 11 Twin BeaconRay. A peculiarity of the TS beacons was that when viewed from an off axis (~45*), the flashes appeared to alternate due to the counter rotation of the bulb holders ( drivers side counter clockwise/pass side clockwise).
Thanks. I was inquiring if the colors hit at the same time vs the orientation of the heads.

@Stampeed Valkyrie I personally like them opposing. Plenty of people out there that look for the smallest details. I am wanting to make a short video and trying to avoid issues because of inaccuracies. Maybe I'll just put in a disclaimer as I have seen both (and all clear too). Thanks for the reply

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thanks. I was inquiring if the colors hit at the same time vs the orientation of the heads.

@Stampeed Valkyrie I personally like them opposing. Plenty of people out there that look for the smallest details. I am wanting to make a short video and trying to avoid issues because of inaccuracies. Maybe I'll just put in a disclaimer as I have seen both (and all clear too). Thanks for the reply
I have seen both in the field. I watched several hours of old NYC EMS footage and the RMP cars usually had the clears hit at the same time and the reds hit at the same time, but I saw several exceptions. I believe the official setup was alternating flashers and like color rotating bulbs flashing together. With as many units in the field as NYPD there were variations especially since it was as simple as a bulb change.

This channel has quite a few

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.