NYPD Beacon Ray Lamp placement?

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello,

I couldn't find any answers or exact pics on the correct lamp placement on the NYPD beacon Ray 175-H online. I know it features three 4416 red lamps and one amber fog lamp, but in what position are they on the beacon? Are two red's angled up and down? Is one red and the amber in the horizontal position? Anybody know? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I remember the NYPD 175H to be all 4416 lamps, 2 red straight, 1 red slightly low angle and 1 amber slight up angle. GuyM should be able to confirm this.

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Black Hoe said:
I remember the NYPD 175H to be all 4416 lamps, 2 red straight, 1 red slightly low angle and 1 amber slight up angle. GuyM should be able to confirm this.

With a fleet as large as NYPD, there are bound to be variations. I have seen clear bulbs in many old 175s in addition to the reds/ambers. Placement of the beams was probably done on a "what was available" when needed basis.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Watch Serpico the movie, at the start they respond to the hospital with him in the car, there is a real good shot of the old NYPD beacon. I'm pretty sure they used a real NYPD car for that scene.

But ny04350 is correct.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The lamps were reds in the upward/downward facing lights and one red and one amber on the horizontal-beam bulbs. As said previously in this thread, this was the basic setup but the NYPD did use whatever they could on an as-needed basis.

guy m.

May 23, 2010
Honesdale, PA 18431
ERIC6913 said:
Hello,

I couldn't find any answers or exact pics on the correct lamp placement on the NYPD beacon Ray 175-H online. I know it features three 4416 red lamps and one amber fog lamp, but in what position are they on the beacon? Are two red's angled up and down? Is one red and the amber in the horizontal position? Anybody know? Thanks in advance!

The Tilted beams were usually the Red 4416-R and the Amber fog beam was in one of the straight positions "but"..... as the repair shop replaced the bulbs over the years I do remember seeing cars with all red or with a 4416-A, It all depended on what they had on hand at the time or if someone at the precinct decided to replace a bulb instead of going out to the repair shop.

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I'm thinking 4415A for a fluted 12 volt par 36 deep amber fog lamp.

Wattage: 35W, 35 Watt Watts
Voltage: 12.8V, 12.8 Volt Volts for 12V Systems
Glass: PAR36, PAR 36, 4.5" Diameter, Amber Lens-Foglamp
Base: Screw Terminals
Beam Spread: SAE Automotive Amber Fog
Filament: C-6, C6
Average Rated Life: 300 hours
Technology: Incandescent
Beam Spread: Horizontal 40° - 10 %
Beam Spread: Vertical 5° - 10 %
Max. Beam Candlepower (MBCP) (MAX) 7000
Maximum Overall Length (MOL) 2.75"/69.8mm
Bulb Diameter (DIA) 4.5"/114.3mm

Reactions: ex416

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
ex416
4415A as southpaw has told you.

The 4415A is a fog lamp with normally a horizontal spread, like a horizontal I, but the sealed beam must be mounted as in the picture of fyrboy’s lamp assembly.
You can see the specifications that southpaw have provided.

That way you will have a flash from the amber lamp together with all of the red sealed beams. A flash for the straight, a flash for the down tilted and a flash for the up tilted.

My own 175-H is configurated this way.

With a 4416A you will have the best flash for the straight red lamp and not so good flashes for the tilted ones.

Michael

Reactions: ex416

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I’ll beat Jarred to the punch in this one..lol
7 year bump..... to this historical beacon

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.