NYPD Interceptor/Fusion NEW ESCAPE

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
:drooling:I know for sure this is not mean to be a patrol car, and by no means will last but Sh*t this Car is sexy!

I am amazed at how nice it actually looks. Wish they would be a more reliable, heavy duty car for patrol but hey, it looks good right? :bonk:

Anyway waiting to get some videos of them :)

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

New Interceptors on Regular Patrol ( Non Turbo version)

image-10.jpg

Here is a terrible picture but its one on SI

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ny04350

Aug 12, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
They are meant for patrol, and they have been using Fusion hybrids for over 3 years now. They are doing surprisingly well.

They also have used Nissan Altimas and Toyota Camrys in their hybrid tests.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
ny04350 said:
They are meant for patrol, and they have been using Fusion hybrids for over 3 years now. They are doing surprisingly well.

Maybe you misunderstood me...Sorry.. These Cars are not "Suited" for patrol vehicles is what i meant by them being used for patrol.

As far as the fusion hybrids, hit about 70 75 on highway and the car started to sputter as if it was switching between engines, and then just stalled out.... Not very reliable seeing how they get beat on. Some that are less than 1 year old have had numerous problems, all the seats are ripped and the cars are in the shop alot.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
ny04350 said:

we have 2 in my cmd they are nice cars for a normal person but for patrol hell no

one of them u have to kick the passenger side floor board for the radio and heat to work and every bump it goes out.

and there is no room in there at all and the ones with the computer forget it eveytime i go to adjust the heat or a/c when it works i hit my partner in the knee with the wing bracket for the mdt

as usualy for this dept nothing is fully thought out and a waste of money

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Meh, the only place they really kinda make sense are here in Manhattan where they will rarely go above 40 MPH. Outer boroughs, anything goes, I'd like to see more of the new Interceptors.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
lotsofbars said:
Meh, the only place they really kinda make sense are here in Manhattan where they will rarely go above 40 MPH. Outer boroughs, anything goes, I'd like to see more of the new Interceptors.

Yeah, these cars are not made to go from 0-40/50 and then brake, and go and brake and go haha typical response...

But yeah the interceptors are really Nice, cant Wait to see them Marked up..Sadly only Highway is getting them :( so some of us will never see the inside of them...Regular patrol is gonna continue to run w/ Fusions, and new Imapalas. with the occasional Altima lol

theres also a shit load of new Vans that just got done about 95 of them, Plus wht ever vans they farmed out for the hurricane Sandy Details..

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Alboy29 said:
Yeah, these cars are not made to go from 0-40/50 and then brake, and go and brake and go haha typical response...

But yeah the interceptors are really Nice, cant Wait to see them Marked up..Sadly only Highway is getting them :( so some of us will never see the inside of them...Regular patrol is gonna continue to run w/ Fusions, and new Imapalas. with the occasional Altima lol

theres also a shit load of new Vans that just got done about 95 of them, Plus wht ever vans they farmed out for the hurricane Sandy Details..

I don't see why the NYPD can't just get new Interceptors for the entire patrol and use Chargers for highway. It seems like that would be the best decision.

mhchockey84

Jun 27, 2011
NJ
I understand the NYPD has a need for an array of different vehicles but in my opinion they need to standardize the what the patrol vehicle is. Personally I think it's rediculus seeing an Altima, fusion, crown Vic, and impala all on scene. LAPD has a very perfessional look with their cars and NYPD should follow.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
mhchockey84 said:
I understand the NYPD has a need for an array of different vehicles but in my opinion they need to standardize the what the patrol vehicle is. Personally I think it's rediculus seeing an Altima, fusion, crown Vic, and impala all on scene. LAPD has a very perfessional look with their cars and NYPD should follow.

The problem is, greenie liberal idiots like Mayor Bloomberg wanted these hybrids. I am sure NYPD had VERY little choice or say in the matter.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
I am surprised we still have Impalas to be honest... Knowing the City and all the Political Bs they would be phased out in a heartbeat. Problem is Hybrid technology is not what a Fleet needs, especially one that has over a thousand Cars..

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I understand that the city has been using the nissan & ford hybrids more often as RMP's over the past few years, but I personally am not a fan of using these for patrol. I wish they were not going with hybrids replace their CVPI's...they just don't have the handling, power, safety options (i.e. optional ballistic panels), etc. Another example of stupid city admin. people (that know absolutely nothing about the needs of the officers) making decisions

If I were a normal patrol officer, I'd request to be transferred to Highway Patrol or another unit in which I could have a real police car; I'd feel a lot safer driving in a Charger, Police Interceptor, etc. while driving Code 3, and if I were following a suspect vehicle, I would feel very inadequate in a tiny hybrid.

PS, as for the message boards, I've hated them since day one....you can hardly read them unless you and the RMP are stationary, most people are idiots and probably don't bother reading them, & a T/A is so much more useful

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
mhchockey84 said:

OH NO! They're not all matchy-matchy! :haha:

I can't think of a time in the past 30+ years when the NYPD has had a completely uniform fleet - not to mention the transitions from green & white, to blue & white, to white, and the repainted Transit and Housing cars in the 80s. The brief K-Car experiment was the only time I really wanted to gouge my eyes out.

LAPD is just boring. :)

Reactions: NVFD612

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Wow !! Very nice !! :salivate:

We are supposed to get it over this side of the pond as well as the 2014 Mondeo... Very promising !

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
As promised i dug up my pics of the interceptors for NYPD today...

Here is what i found, gotta look for the rest (got a new Phone)

IMG_1598.jpg

Interceptor Also has a Valor on it, w/ a FEDERAL SIGNAL message board Mounted above it...

Some new stuff they are all playing with around here to see haha

IMG_1075.jpg NYPD is using The Valors as a Test have been for a while, since they werent happy with some SLR failures...

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
Very nice! A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a whole lot of white Interceptors recently. It was the same lot that previously housed a bunch of pre-NYPD Fusion hybrids. Wonder if the NYPD's already got a bunch of these on order.

I also spotted a new ESU truck on the Clearview expressway the other day. Was a new F-550(?) cab with the typical ESU chassis, the only difference was this one was a crew cab. Seems like the NYPD is taking notes from the FDNY's recent ambulance purchases.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I think the message boards they added are stupid and a waste, just use a traffic advisor.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Interceptors with Valors? NOW we're talking!!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I personally love the SLR's and am upset that they're trying out other bars. But whatever, at least they're sticking with Federal.

May 27, 2013
NY
lafd55 said:
I think the message boards they added are stupid and a waste, just use a traffic advisor.

+1!!!! At least they should have used amber in the message boards, because with the blue, you cannot even tell that you're looking at words... It looks like a big blue blur until you're right up on the car. Stupid

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
cgb said:
Very nice! A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a whole lot of white Interceptors recently. It was the same lot that previously housed a bunch of pre-NYPD Fusion hybrids. Wonder if the NYPD's already got a bunch of these on order.

I also spotted a new ESU truck on the Clearview expressway the other day. Was a new F-550(?) cab with the typical ESU chassis, the only difference was this one was a crew cab. Seems like the NYPD is taking notes from the FDNY's recent ambulance purchases.

Late 80s/early 90s ESU used 4dr crew cab (?GMC?) REPs.

Oh, when referring to NYPD ESU vehicles, the term "truck" signifies one of the big heavy rescue trucks, while the smaller units such as what you saw is an REP(Radio Emergency Patrol car) or "car".

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Alboy29 said:
As promised i dug up my pics of the interceptors for NYPD today...

Here is what i found, gotta look for the rest (got a new Phone)

View attachment 54371

Interceptor Also has a Valor on it, w/ a FEDERAL SIGNAL message board Mounted above it...

Some new stuff they are all playing with around here to see haha

View attachment 54372 NYPD is using The Valors as a Test have been for a while, since they werent happy with some SLR failures...

I'm in LOVE!!! The NYPD blue/white scheme back on a REAL police vehicle looks fantastic (and the return to the black rims is just a bonus!). I'm glad to see they're experimenting with the valor, but I wish they would just F'in scrap those dumb message boards...ppl aren't going to read those as an RMP is zoomin by (plus, I'm sure the valor will drown anything else out at night anyways!)

I'd love the setup to be

-a valor R/C up front and R/B to the rear (with rear amber TA override)

-2 R/B dual vipers on the rear deck (on that wigwag pattern that they've been using with vipers and cudas for years)

-pair of R impaxx in grill

That'd be simple & effective. (However, Unfortunately, knowing NYPD, I'm sure they'll waste money on poorly-placed LAWs)

May 27, 2013
NY
CHIEFOPS said:
Oh, when referring to NYPD ESU vehicles, the term "truck" signifies one of the big heavy rescue trucks, while the smaller units such as what you saw is an REP(Radio Emergency Patrol car) or "car".

What are the ESU Crown Vics referred to as?

May 27, 2013
NY
TheGatekeeper said:
RMPs ? :no:

Well, regular patrol cars are RMPs.... But there are also crown vics, etc. that are ESU and say ESU on the side.... I know when I get on the radio and want pd on scene, I request an RMP... So considering that, if ESU cars were referred to as RMPs they could dispatch an ESU car if an RMP is requested right? There must be a separate designation.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
FollowingNFront said:
What are the ESU Crown Vics referred to as?

Simply- RMP.

Until a few years ago each unit was assigned one RMP with a McDermott 10 spotlight Riser lightbar designated as the "HELP" (high intensity emergency light program) car. That RMP was multi-purposed, typically used as the fly car (when an officer "flys" from his assigned unit to another unit to fill a vacancy during the tour), or the unit's Lieut or Sgt is functioning as one of the citywide supervisors- ESU 3 or ESU 4. Nowadays the HELP car tends to be a Suburban or equivalent suv.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
FollowingNFront said:
Well, regular patrol cars are RMPs.... But there are also crown vics, etc. that are ESU and say ESU on the side.... I know when I get on the radio and want pd on scene, I request an RMP... So considering that, if ESU cars were referred to as RMPs they could dispatch an ESU car if an RMP is requested right? There must be a separate designation.

RadioMotorPatrol is what the NYPD calls a marked patrol car, regardless of command. In the context of your example(I'm guessing you are FDNY/voluntary hospital/volunteer EMS), when someone in or outside the NYPD requests an "RMP" to respond, they mean a precinct sector car.

May 27, 2013
NY
CHIEFOPS said:
RadioMotorPatrol is what the NYPD calls a marked patrol car, regardless of command. In the context of your example(I'm guessing you are FDNY/voluntary hospital/volunteer EMS), when someone in or outside the NYPD requests an "RMP" to respond, they mean a precinct sector car.

Yes I am an EMS MOS... Thank you for explaining that for me. Now I understand how it works from the PD side of things. I knew RMP meant Radio Motor Patrol but I didnt fully understand what that exactly meant. I understand it a little better now

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
CHIEFOPS said:

Thank you for clarifying. I was fairly certain I was gonna confuse someone out there by referring to it as a "truck", but quite honestly I couldn't think of another appropriate name for it at the time.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Because I really need a scrolling message board on a police car with it's lights on to say "Police Emergency"...... Lol.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
hoj1192 said:
Hopefully if they start using the valor they wont keep that stupidass message board on top that just looks stupid

Sadly they are staying. Even with the Valor.... Or the SLR's. They are not using Whelens anymore, now new Fed Sig ones..... But they are just such a waste of $$$$$... (Typical NYC.no surprise)

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality of the pciture, but this is the first Interceptor to go into Usage for NYPD.

It is the Twin turbo 3.5 I believe, USing the SLR, Highway Riser, Fed Sig Message board, Slim-lighter in the Front (Dash board) Usual NYPD setup. Also from what i have been told these interceptors also Have the HLF wired/Setup from Ford.

Will try to get more pics, something is better than nothing! haha

May 27, 2013
NY
Is it just me or does that lightbar on that Ford look f**king HIGH up off the roof? Like waay too much space between the roof and lightbar?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.