NYPD McDermott refurb

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
Picked up this McDermott bar years ago and just got around to fixing it up. The bar was in pretty rough shape all around. All the bulbs were burnt out,spotlights missing, and the arms and frame were bent. Someone also decided to spray paint it with some crappy yellow tinted white paint.

Being that I am only 20 minutes away from McDermott, I took a ride there to see if I could score some parts that I needed for the refurb. Ended up making friends with the owner Vernon Mcdermott and he gave me a tour of the facilities. It was a pretty cool experience seeing all of the testing,fabrication and assembly stations in action. Even though he has shied away from vehicle lighting in favor of marine lighting in recent years he had about 25 of these highrise bars sitting on a shelf waiting to go(looked like they have been sitting there for at least 15 years). Ended up getting all of the stuff I needed (spotlights,bulbs,placards,hardware) for a decent price.

Still Have some odds & ends to do but here are some before/after pics and a video.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y183_hurley0509_025_1.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y183_hurley0509_IMG_1946.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y183_hurley0509_IMG_1945.jpg

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y183_hurley0509_th_MVI_1950.jpg

Oct 26, 2012
Los Angeles, Ca
That is a beautiful piece... I am envious.

HIJACK:

I recently purchased one of the 'McDermott' flashlights, a very unusual style... which was basically their can light with a cast aluminum base - to which attached a large battery. It was designed for being stored/utilized on fire trucks [similar to the 'Carpenter' lights]. A really cool design, as far as I'm concerned ['Well, you ain't got one of these...'].

I did not think much about it when I purchased it [sometimes life is too busy], then noticed almost a month later I had not received it... hmmm. The seller had the correct shipping address, but the shipper delivered it to the wrong address. Of course in my neighborhood we live amongst scum and borderline morons.

'Hey, what is this, it must be a gift from God!' 'Even if I don't know what it is I will keep it.' Yep, a neighbor has it, ain't giving it up, and I'm still wanting for my weird, heavy-duty, flashlight.

SORRY, HIJACK OVER...

Again, very nice setup...

Have you decided if you'll mount it, and what vehicle might it be mounted on?

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
nice bar. it seems like they moved into the marine market probally a smart move for them seeing how the vehicle market went nuts.

you bring the bar back completed to show them

lb101

Jul 16, 2013
new york
I am looking to build one of these bars and I was wondering what type of lift system is there in means of actuator to lift the arms?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.