NYPD Rear Deck Lights?

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
What are they? Who makes them? They have used the Whelen Avengers and Federal Signal Vipers before but not sure what these are... Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2010
New York City
firedude said:
I'll try to find a picture but they used avengers shortly before switching to slimlighters in the CVPI.

umm no...... slimighters are mostly used by highway, and they been using them since gen 1 5mm LL slimlighters, which they were using long before the avengers came out.........

yes some pct cars have them and some unmarkeds, but its at special request, you have to write a 49 to have them installed........

but there are no avengers in the fleet ............

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
911 said:
umm no...... slimighters are mostly used by highway, and they been using them since gen 1 5mm LL slimlighters, which they were using long before the avengers came out.........

yes some pct cars have them and some unmarkeds, but its at special request, you have to write a 49 to have them installed........

+1 exactly what he said

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
911 said:

I know 100% I've seen avengers and/or talons on NYPD marked vehicles. They may have been part of a special division, i don't know, I don't look. I'll continue to look around.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
BUFFaLOT said:
Definitely a viper

Yup they are. And they are complete sh!t FYI. Sections of LEDs go out all the time. They separate from the board. Banging on them fixes it for a little bit but they always go out again. The Cuda Trioptics were the best, most reliable rear deck light the dept ever used.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
bfd740 said:
I've seen unmarked vehicles with smaller lights also, looked like two TIR3 style lights that weren't synced on each side.

Honestly what you saw was probably half of the viper. As I said above they are garbage and its not uncommon for an entire section to be out. Behind an unmarkeds tints, it probably looks like 2 smaller lights instead of 2 bigger lights with only half on each illuminating.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
firedude said:
I know 100% I've seen avengers and/or talons on NYPD marked vehicles. They may have been part of a special division, i don't know, I don't look. I'll continue to look around.

It is possible that those light were "self installed". Some people would add their own lights to cars they used on a regular basis. Especially those assigned to traffic enforcement.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
911 said:

Since you yourself are not a member of the NYPD, why would you assume anyone else outside the NYPD would know what a "49" is? Or were you waiting for someone to ask so you could impress them with your vast NYPD knowledge?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
one11sgt said:
Yup they are. And they are complete sh!t FYI. Sections of LEDs go out all the time. They separate from the board. Banging on them fixes it for a little bit but they always go out again. The Cuda Trioptics were the best, most reliable rear deck light the dept ever used.

To be honest in my entire career in public safety and installs, i have NEVER EVER heard of a Viper failing!

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
Fast LT1 said:
To be honest in my entire career in public safety and installs, i have NEVER EVER heard of a Viper failing!

they do our lights fail alll the time so,metimes half of it works sometimes there fine.nothing in our cars last very long

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I have seen the Vipers fail on a NYPD RMP. The Highway Patrol uses Whelen Slimlighters, R/W on the dash and R/B in the rear deck. I was told that they are custom made for the nypd with only one flashpattern and are sync. As we all know the sl does not come in a sync version usually.

May 22, 2010
New York City
CHIEFOPS said:
Since you yourself are not a member of the NYPD, why would you assume anyone else outside the NYPD would know what a "49" is? Or were you waiting for someone to ask so you could impress them with your vast NYPD knowledge?

if you want to run your mouth, at least get the facts straight........

i never said i was a police officer with the NYPD ,but i do have a NYPD ID CARD in my wallet ,tax #,shield,uniform, OK !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mel

Jan 20, 2012
USA NE OHIO
911 said:
i never said i was a police officer with the NYPD ,but i do have a NYPD ID CARD in my wallet ,tax #,shield,uniform, OK jerkoff !!!
He never said you were... but can I ask what a 49 is? Thats all I want to know I could couldnt care less what your job is.

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
Mel, a 49 is a typed report on official letterhead that is addressed to a C.O of a command and/or above. Any big event that occurs on the Pct level has to have a "49" typed up with an explanation of what happened, who responded and what the supervisor on scene did and who he notified. When a member of the police Dept. wants to do anything (ie, take a training class, order more ink for a printer, request a transfer) he has to formally do it by doing a "49". Thats the simplest way to explain it.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
iceman4122 said:
Mel, a 49 is a typed report on official letterhead that is addressed to a C.O of a command and/or above. Any big event that occurs on the Pct level has to have a "49" typed up with an explanation of what happened, who responded and what the supervisor on scene did and who he notified. When a member of the police Dept. wants to do anything (ie, take a training class, order more ink for a printer, request a transfer) he has to formally do it by doing a "49". Thats the simplest way to explain it.

Memo on letterhead...?

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
Fast LT1 said:

Ill post a video as soon as I can. I know of at least 6 units in my precinct alone that have failed.

mel

Jan 20, 2012
USA NE OHIO
iceman4122 said:

Thanks for the answer, I understand now!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
911 said:
i never said i was a police officer with the NYPD ,but i do have a NYPD ID CARD in my wallet ,tax #,shield,uniform, OK !!!

Ok, you're an NYPD civilian Traffic Agent or School Safety Agent.

Now that that's out of the way- why would you assume anyone else outside of the NYPD would know what a "49" is, especially since your usage of it, is incorrect?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
iceman4122 said:

Actually, no, but that's a common mistake.

An NYPD form UF-49 is a preliminary report of an "Unusual Occurrence", prepared by a precinct Patrol Supervisor or Desk Officer, to the Dept's Chief of Patrol, detailing an incident, for the sole purpose of "the Chief of Patrol's need to know".

An "unusual occurrence" is basically anything significantly more than an ordinary occurrence, denoted by it's news worthiness, peculiarity, potential to affect the stability of police-community relations, etc. On the other hand, it excludes certain specific incidents that have their own reporting and or investigative procedure.

A person shot in the 75 precinct (a high crime ghetto precinct) would be routine patrol, a person shot in Central Park would be an unusual occurrence.

Requests for training, equipment, etc, are really just typed requests on letterhead, a request for transfer has a dedicated form to complete.

May 22, 2010
New York City
no, you are still wrong..........

and i have written many 49's in my time.......... but who cares what i do .....or why i wrote the 49's......

but if you write a 49 to FSD they will install more lights in the rmps......

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
911 said:
no, you are still wrong..........

and i have written many 49's in my time.......... but who cares what i do .....or why i wrote the 49's......

but if you write a 49 to FSD they will install more lights in the rmps......

If you have shield, tax number and uniform, and are not a Police Officer, all thats left is School Safety Agent or Traffic Agent. Maybe Motor Vehicle Operators have shields, and I don't remember Auxiliary Police Officers having tax numbers.

Still, why would you assume anyone outside the NYPD would know what a "49" is, especially since your usage of it is actually wrong
?

mel

Jan 20, 2012
USA NE OHIO
CHIEFOPS said:
If you have shield, tax number and uniform, and are not a Police Officer, all thats left is School Safety Agent or Traffic Agent. Maybe Motor Vehicle Operators have shields, and I don't remember Auxiliary Police Officers having tax numbers.

Still, why would you assume anyone outside the NYPD would know what a "49" is, especially since your usage of it is actually wrong
?

Ok I am guessing I can still ask a question... What would fsd be? But thanks for the new answer..

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Good Lord, another thread with a legitimate question hijacked and turned into a pissing contest about who knows more about a particular law enforcement agency.

It's a good thing John didn't offer me a moderator post, or I would have locked this thread a long time ago.

Original question answered. Enough said.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
dg0223 said:
Good Lord, another thread with a legitimate question hijacked and turned into a pissing contest about who knows more about a particular law enforcement agency.

It's a good thing John didn't offer me a moderator post, or I would have locked this thread a long time ago.

Original question answered. Enough said.
Isn't the whole purpose of the internet to be able to pretend to be experts at fields we don't have any actual knowledge of? :duh:

In all seriousness, though, @CHIEFOPS, I'm going to make the assumption that 911 was being facetious when he said, "...i never said i was a police officer with the NYPD ,but i do have a NYPD ID CARD in my wallet ,tax #,shield,uniform, OK !!!" I could be wrong, though...

Last edited by a moderator:

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I guess I'm one of the rare internet users who thinks you should actually speak about things you really know about, as opposed to talking out of your rear end. Then again, those who know things are the ones who usually keep their mouth shut, while those who don't know seem to always run their mouth.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
CHIEFOPS said:
Actually, no, but that's a common mistake.

An NYPD form UF-49 is a preliminary report of an "Unusual Occurrence", prepared by a precinct Patrol Supervisor or Desk Officer, to the Dept's Chief of Patrol, detailing an incident, for the sole purpose of "the Chief of Patrol's need to know".

An "unusual occurrence" is basically anything significantly more than an ordinary occurrence, denoted by it's news worthiness, peculiarity, potential to affect the stability of police-community relations, etc. On the other hand, it excludes certain specific incidents that have their own reporting and or investigative procedure.

A person shot in the 75 precinct (a high crime ghetto precinct) would be routine patrol, a person shot in Central Park would be an unusual occurrence.

Requests for training, equipment, etc, are really just typed requests on letterhead, a request for transfer has a dedicated form to complete.

I am a Police Officer. A UF-49 is the term used for any formal written interdepartmental communication. UF stands for unified form. It comes from the merger of the NYPD transit and housing police. Each had their own forms for the same thing. After the merger one standard form for each type needed became the Unified Forms and each were given a number. A 49 is simply a formal letter from one person to another. It has a specific format. From, To, Subject, Date etc.. An unusual occurrence report is from a field supervisor to the Chief of Patrol and is written in 49 format. A person shot anywhere is an unusual occurrence and would require an unusual occurrence report in 49 format.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
mel said:
Ok I am guessing I can still ask a question... What would fsd be? But thanks for the new answer..

FSD is Fleet Services Division. They are in charge of department vehicles citywide.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
one11sgt said:
I am a Police Officer. A UF-49 is the term used for any formal written interdepartmental communication. UF stands for unified form. It comes from the merger of the NYPD transit and housing police. Each had their own forms for the same thing. After the merger one standard form for each type needed became the Unified Forms and each were given a number. A 49 is simply a formal letter from one person to another. It has a specific format. From, To, Subject, Date etc.. An unusual occurrence report is from a field supervisor to the Chief of Patrol and is written in 49 format. A person shot anywhere is an unusual occurrence and would require an unusual occurrence report in 49 format.

Uhh, no.

UF is for "Uniformed Force", not unified form, it has nothing to do with the mergers. Most NYPD forms date back to when the Dept referred to itself as a Police Force, not a politically correct Police Service that it is today. The change from "force" to "service" came around 1972 or 73, when the female police officers were allowed on patrol and the rank was changed from Patrolman to the gender neutral Police Officer.

A "49" is exactly what I said it is, an unusual occurrence report to the Chief of Patrol. It's format is copied for other interdepartmental correspondence, but those are not really 49s. As for your example of the person shot, it's relative, there are precincts where poeople are shot almost daily, and by definition are not unusual occurrences, though in this age of micromanagement, some believe it is.

Now, what started me down this road is it irritates me when anyone, from anywhere, tosses around agency-specific lingo and assumes everyone else in the conversation knows what it means, or worse, does it for some juvenile attempt to impress everyone with their "inside" or priveleged knowledge.

Whenever I talk about technical stuff, I make every effort to use layman or universally recognized terminoligy so as not to confuse people.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Here is a solution: Make it a rule that you can not use your agencies codes/signals or crap like "49" since nobody else will know what it means. So, if you use said jargon your post should be flagged and deleted until you learn to use plain English that everyone understands.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
FireEMSPolice said:
Here is a solution: Make it a rule that you can not use your agencies codes/signals or crap like "49" since nobody else will know what it means. So, if you use said jargon your post should be flagged and deleted until you learn to use plain English that everyone understands.
10-5? Disregard, 10-4. :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.