NYPD Strobes? (2001)

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
I recently came across this video:
And i noticed that the unmarked unit had a strobe light in the front windshield. What kind of/brand strobe was that, and was it common on unmarked NYPD vehicle’s?

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
@Peanutman
Hard to tell with the frame rate, but are you talking about a strobe that is up near the rear view mirror?
If so, it’s probably a federal signal viper. Federal was their primary brand for a long time.
Yes I mean the strobe near the rear view mirror, i forgot to mention it.
But I didn’t know that the NYPD already used LED’s in 2001. Or was there also a halogen version of the fedsig viper?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I could be (more like probably am) wrong with the model number.
I am more a Whelen guy than a Federal Signal guy.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What kind of agency is it then?
One of more than 250. This is NYC, anything from NYPD to FDNY to Hatzalah (probably not enough lights for Hatzalah) to State police to FBI to the DEA to some random Mayor's aid. It has a NY plate but that doesn't mean much. There was an article in 2004 called "Mayor yanking sirens and lights from...255 city officials".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.