NYSP 88 SSP Whelen Bar 44"

venomizd93

May 6, 2014
Va
Hello I am inquiring if anyone has knowledge of the model number of the lightbar used on the 1988 SSP mustang, it was a 44" that's about all I know for sure. I also was curious what make of rear deck light those are, it looks like Whelen as well? The bar was controlled by a Unitrol 480k, so I'm thinking it wasn't an Edge 9000 that was a serial interface. Thanks in advance.
NYSP1988SSPRestored6-vi-2.jpgNYSP1988SSPRestored2-vi.jpg

Reactions: classifieds869294

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
That’s definitely an Edge lightbar, with a low pro speaker on the top. Not sure the model number though. It’s pre-serial controlled.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
the rear deck has lollipop lights, definitely not Whelen, but someone may know the brand, are you restoring a SSP?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Just going by memory..
I think the difference is the age and the power supply model (which correlates to the overall age)

I also tried to look back at the whelen vintage catalogs that @JohnMarcson had supplied ( but have been lost due to forum upgrades) to confirm my previous thought on model number but cannot due to the catalogs being lost.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Thanks shues!
I forgot how many pictures I have seen of yours on this site! You have some beauties!!!

I flipped through a few of your albums and did not see the sales (or any) literature for the early edge bars. Saw some advatedge stuff, some 80H paperwork, then saw some duplex, and the all linear style edge (with eb6 power supplies) and then some BLink literature.

venomizd93

May 6, 2014
Va
Thanks for the responses, curious if anyone could ID, to the best of their ability from the pics, the rear deck lights. Thanks

venomizd93

May 6, 2014
Va
Ford were a brake/turn signal combination and also flashed in a alternating pattern.
We’re the just wired in at the dealer? Do you have any more info/docs on it? I’m assuming they used the flashing when the trunk lit was open since it would block the lightbar on top and you could see the flashers on the rear deck between the trunk lid and trunk gap?

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
We’re the just wired in at the dealer? Do you have any more info/docs on it? I’m assuming they used the flashing when the trunk lit was open since it would block the lightbar on top and you could see the flashers on the rear deck between the trunk lid and trunk gap?
Yes that was part of the reason I know Chevy had something similar in the trunk itself. I know they worked on a flasher I believe they were a ready for road package type thing. Not sure if they came from ford that way or were a dealer installed option.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.