Odd siren on an ambulance

This has been bugging me for awhile. I found a video of a compilation of emergency vehicles on 9/11, there is this one ambulance that has the most odd siren I've ever heard. It makes this "pop" sound. It's extremely hard to describe. You need to listen to it to know what I'm talking about.
Anyone recognize this siren?

Also I heard a siren which is frequently heard in stock police siren audios. Here's the timestamp for it:

SurgePGH

Nov 10, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This has been bugging me for awhile. I found a video of a compilation of emergency vehicles on 9/11, there is this one ambulance that has the most odd siren I've ever heard. It makes this "pop" sound. It's extremely hard to describe. You need to listen to it to know what I'm talking about.
Anyone recognize this siren?

Also I heard a siren which is frequently heard in stock police siren audios. Here's the timestamp for it:
Out of 24 minutes of sirens.... Which one are you talking about??

SurgePGH

Nov 10, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
at 22:16 it's just the operator hitting the manual button and releasing it right away. Very common in the city.
That's odd. The link I provided automatically gives puts you at the specified timestamp.
The first one is at 22:16.
The second is at 16:07.
There is no designated Police vs. Fire vs. EMS siren. The siren used depends on customer spec. Some customers spec "Siren and Light control" No specific brand. Some states/ Municipalities will specify certain tones be "locked Out" (California is good for this) because certain tones do not meet sound pressure limits. Hyper Yelp and Phaser are good examples of this. The use of electronic airhorns is prohibited in certain jurisdictions for the same reason. Some uninformed operators believe that the use of the electronic airhorn used with the siren attracts more attention. It in fact has been proven quite the opposite for the sound pressure aspects again. This is why the Howler style siren assist devices are gaining popularity.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
It sounds like a Scientific Prototypes Mark VIII.

Trebor Cadeau

Jul 22, 2016
Colorado
22:18 is a guinea pig.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.