ODDBALL NYPD AERO

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
OK, got a bit of a rare bird and I am trying to find some info on this. I know for a fact that it is an NYPD bar because I know the person who I got it off of and where it came from, but it has a 6Z designation instead of the normal 2Z on the end of the model number. I know the Z means a custom build, but the 6 is the oddity. I was told this may have been from a NYPD Marine unit. I saw a post from back in 2011 about a 6Z, but haven't seen anything else either here or on any other site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail.jpg

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Found out yesterday that it is definitely NOT a marine unit light. I was told it would have been blue and not had the speaker grill. Ryan thinks it may be because the flashers go front to back instead of left to right.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Maybe it's those suction cup mounting feet, otherwise I don't know why they'd order that flasher setup rather than modify an existing bar for evaluation, they'd been hooked on the off-center alternating flash pattern since 1973.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Is the lighting arrangement the same as other NYPD Aerodynic light bars?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Looking at this bar's current configuration there are amber bulbs in place of the red bulbs in the rotators but other than that & the suction cup feet it shakes out as an NYPD bar.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
It is definitely an NYPD bar. I was told that the 6 may mean that the flashers go from front to back instead of alternating. I will be working on the bar this evening and replacing the amber bulbs with the correct clear ones and will see if the flasher configuration is different. I will let everyone know.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
It is definitely an NYPD bar. I was told that the 6 may mean that the flashers go from front to back instead of alternating. I....will see if the flasher configuration is different. I will let everyone know.

Then by description it would not be an "NYPD bar" as that was not the NYPD flasher configuration. In theory it could have been a custom-order bar for evaluation and that could explain the '6'.

Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
It should be quite easy to move the cables on the connector strip to have the bar flash alternately instead of simultanious.
I do not know if the NYPD bars was delivered with a flasher or if it was installed after delivery and I have also not get to know if they used internal or external flashers.
Any one that really know?

Michael

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
They were shipped with 537 flashers installed alternating the stationary lights left-right.
The OP suspects this bar is wired to alternately flash the stationary lights front-rear which could explain the '6' in the bar model ID. I'm skeptical the NYPD would order a bar this way because they could easily modify an existing bar to flash this way, so if the '6' denotes this flash configuration I doubt the NYPD was the customer who ordered it.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Just to clarify, I didn't say that this bar flashed from front to rear. It was suggested to me by someone else who has a 6Z bar that this MAY be an explanation. After testing the bar, it does in fact have alternating flashers with a 537 flasher.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.