Officer Jose Chavez, Hatch NM

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Last night, Officer Jose Chaves was gunned down during a "routine" traffic stop. For those of you currently working in emergency services, please remember no situation is routine.

Officer Chavez was shot last night in the small town of Hatch, NM. He was 33 and had been on the force for only two years. This is about 20 miles from where I live. This is just not supposed to happen out here in the rural areas. After shooting him, the fleeing suspects shot a civilian while carjacking him. All three suspects were captured, and two of them were already murder suspects in a case in Ohio. That's probably why they shot him. Still, this hurts when it is so close to home. Hatch is a small department of 8 people, and also the Chile capitol of the world. Please bow your heads and give this officer a moment of silence. Link to one of the news articles follows.

http://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/report-hatch-police-officer-shot-while-on-duty/4231969/

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Just an update...
A lot of people have been placing flowers and candles, both at the PD and on a decoy squad car they have downtown. I wanted to do more, so I am sacrificing the next lightbar I would have purchased. I paid for a party sub at the local Subway and arranged for them to pick it up. That way they can be assured it was not tampered with. Don't think I was being cheap by buying them a sandwich. This party sub cost me $50 plus tax. I just wanted them to know someone cared up and above the others, even though we live 20 miles away and in the next county. The dispatcher I spoke with sounded really appreciative.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.