Officer Stuns Hit-and-Run Suspect Moments Into Traffic Stop

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Read the story and watch both videos first.

Cleburne Officer Stuns Hit-and-Run Suspect Moments Into Traffic Stop | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Now the question is as a Police Officer would you have used your taser so quickly?

Keep in mind the entire department is looking for this guy for a hit and run that happened about 15 minutes ago, they officer was already at his house to see if suspect was there. After leaving the house he sees the suspect vehicle and tries to make a traffic stop and driver does not stop in a timely manner appearing to elude Police. When he does stop the suspect gets out of his truck and the Police Officer sees he is a big person. Suspect does not comply with orders and has already been suspected of hit and run and felony eluding. So at that point the Police Officer uses his taser to control the very large suspect to place him under arrest.

That is how I saw it and I support the Police Officer for many reasons. There was a recent incident in Ohio were the driver got out of his car and immediately started shooting at the Police Officers. I know that you as a Police Officer do not likes people to get out of there cars without being asked. Puts too much risk on your side for an attempt to pull a weapon on you. So I see nothing wrong with the taser being used due to the situation from the hit and run and 15 minutes trying to find the guy. If he truly wanted to report the accident, then why did he stop at a store first before going home. Or better yet stop after the accident and do what you can to call the Police if your cell phone had a dead battery, find a business to call from or passer by that may have also stopped. I just do not bu this guy tried to do the right thing, if so he would have stopped right away.

Last edited by a moderator:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
That guy sounds like such a whiny little baby. "I was so fearful and traumatized". "I want my felony charges dropped because of this!". "The officer should be punished". Well bucko, how do you think the person felt after you hit them? And then you chose to run off like a chicken sh!t. Then you decided to get out of your car on a traffic stop.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Wow You should read the comments on that link. I could not believe all of the negative comments toward the Officer. It looked like the Suspect forced the issue by not complying with the Officers orders.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
He had PC to make an arrest, so far so good. The guy is wanted for a FELONY, so far so good. The guy is fleeing from the officer by refusing to stop, so far so good. The guy refuses to obey commands to put his hands on the vehicle, so far so good. The officer warns him that he will be tased for failing to comply, so far so good. The guy gets tased and taken into custody without injury to the officer, so far so good. The guy makes res gestae statements implicating himself in the crime, so far so good. I'm not sure what the standard operating procedure in the state of Texas is, but if you hop out of your car on me during a traffic stop you are going to get an opportunity to inspect the business end of a Glock 22. I don't carry a Taser and I do not allow drivers to exit their vehicle at me during a stop. If I was in this situation I probably would have tased this guy a lot sooner. Fleeing, getting out of the car on a stop and failing to obey a command is a great combination of stupid decisions that will earn you a free trip to the ground. Good luck trying to sue, the video is going to make it hard to collect too much money...

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
I don't shed a tear over this. 1. You hit someone and left. 2. Your being pulled over and get out of your truck, thats an assine move, I don't believe they teach that in traffic school. Think back to a couple weeks ago in Ohio where the guy gets out of his car and ends up jacking rounds into the cops. 3. Your told to put your hands againist the truck just comply, the side of the road is not the place to plead your case. 4. Your running and most likely know it. You got want you deserved big boy grow up and get a pair. I see someone using I was scared lonely and not feeling good defense.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
He had it coming. Officer did the right thing all the way. Drop felonies?, I don't think so. There are consequences to your actions and choices, especially the wrong choices, and this driver apparently made many that day. Lucky for him it was just the taser. Clean bust imho.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
My opinions, alone, not the sites' or any dept.

You don't drop the felonies, that led to this. That's ridiculous. All that led to this, regardless of the validity of this encounter, those charges are what led to it, they stay. The whole "drop my charges and I'll let the video go" implication is BS plain and simple.

It's very easy to dissect things after the fact, or form our own conclusions based on what ifs we don't really understand or know the factors behind. Without the video of the "felony stop" or at least the full approach that led to this it's impossible to know what the perceived threat to the officer and public were. That's a big guy who is not stopping, who has a "fake calm" attitude/tone about him. While the previous interaction between the suspect and police was described, it wasn't shown, and seeing and hearing it sets tone much more vividly. The video as it's presented shows an evasive, passive aggressive suspect and an assertive, borderline aggressive officer, so there's obviously more to this. We don't know where they are or what the risk this guy runs of hopping back in the car to mow down people. This guy is suspected of wielding a multi-thousand pound weapon and he's right next to it. You told him he's being arrested, he keeps talking and moving. He's big, you are not. You are holding your cuff and taser. It's less dangerous than a baton for both of you, and he will clearly kick you butt wrestling with cuffs. You have minutes until backup arrives possibly. Even if he complies, he may wait until you get close to fight you hand to hand. You have the option to drop back and hold him at gunpoint, telling him to surrender knowing that you will then have to decide whether to shoot an "unarmed man" when he drives off in his "weapon". When dealing with a threatening person there are different plans of attack. You have to weigh all the criteria in a few seconds, and the suspect ended up alive and in custody. The police and public went home safe this time. If the dept wants to examine the methodoloy or decision to tase vs full felony stop that's their prerogative. As a taxpayer I would not be outraged by this nor asking for such action.

I think as a culture we do a bad job of teaching our children how to behave when confronted by the police. It's the not just nice parts that officer friendly should be teaching. There are polite ways to teach people to stay in the car and keep their hands on the wheel in plain sight and follow all commands. Explain to kids that police make arrests based on many factors and there will be time to tell everyones' side later. Everyones' safety is the issue first. You will have plenty of time to argue your case later. If you are getting detained or arrested in public or from your car, it's happening. There is no use asking why before you are searched and read your rights. Just answer clearly or clearly refuse to answer. Be clear and truthful or be quiet. Cooperate with the arrest and get an attorney. The officer will not be bargaining with you. The officer will not be discussing your issues until you are secured. If you don't do what you are told and continue to move, expect to get that decision altered for you.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Part of my driver's ed class back in highschool consisted of 2 officers from the local PD coming in and acting out several different scenarios for the students in the classroom. One officer played the part of the civilian driver and the other officer was the officer. They went through everything from when/how to safely pull over to how to react to an officer to make things easier for everyone.

To this day I still remember this list of tips:

"Pull over as quickly as it is safe to do so. If there is going to be an extended time before you believe it is safe, activate the vehicle hazards and noticbly slow the vehicle to indicate that you know the officer is behind you and are making an effort."

"Once stopped, do not reach for anything within the vehicle. If it's dark out, activate the interior lights of the vehicle then place both hands on the wheel. It doesn't hurt to turn off the vehicle and place the keys on the dashboard, but it's not necessary."

"If you are carrying any kind of weapon or something that can be considered a weapon, notify the officer before making any moves. Follow his/her instructions as to what to do next."

"Inform the officer that you will be reaching for your wallet in your back pocket or registration/insurance in the glove box before doing so."

"Be polite and honest."

I've followed all these tips anytime I've been pulled and have had 2 officers comment "You were a textbook traffic stop." In all my times getting pulled over, I've only received 2 tickets. Both were 100% my fault and I told the officer as much. In doing so, the officer agreed to lessen the ticket to something that was a fine/no points instead of whatever I was really doing.

Now that I'm a CWP holder and normally carry a firearm, I've not been pulled over (it's actually been over 2 years since I was last pulled over [knock on wood]) and I'm still REALLY not looking forward to it. I know this is the south, but with how jumpy everyone is about firearms... meh.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
foxtrot5 said:
Part of my driver's ed class back in highschool consisted of 2 officers from the local PD coming in and acting out several different scenarios for the students in the classroom. One officer played the part of the civilian driver and the other officer was the officer. They went through everything from when/how to safely pull over to how to react to an officer to make things easier for everyone.

To this day I still remember this list of tips:

"Pull over as quickly as it is safe to do so. If there is going to be an extended time before you believe it is safe, activate the vehicle hazards and noticbly slow the vehicle to indicate that you know the officer is behind you and are making an effort."

"Once stopped, do not reach for anything within the vehicle. If it's dark out, activate the interior lights of the vehicle then place both hands on the wheel. It doesn't hurt to turn off the vehicle and place the keys on the dashboard, but it's not necessary."

"If you are carrying any kind of weapon or something that can be considered a weapon, notify the officer before making any moves. Follow his/her instructions as to what to do next."

"Inform the officer that you will be reaching for your wallet in your back pocket or registration/insurance in the glove box before doing so."

"Be polite and honest."

I've followed all these tips anytime I've been pulled and have had 2 officers comment "You were a textbook traffic stop." In all my times getting pulled over, I've only received 2 tickets. Both were 100% my fault and I told the officer as much. In doing so, the officer agreed to lessen the ticket to something that was a fine/no points instead of whatever I was really doing.

Now that I'm a CWP holder and normally carry a firearm, I've not been pulled over (it's actually been over 2 years since I was last pulled over [knock on wood]) and I'm still REALLY not looking forward to it. I know this is the south, but with how jumpy everyone is about firearms... meh.

Well put. Exactly how I plan to beat this into any potential offspring.

Your drivers ed was far better than mine. Mine was a monotone man reading traffic laws and an older guy telling stories.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JohnMarcson said:
Well put. Exactly how I plan to beat this into any potential offspring.

Your drivers ed was far better than mine. Mine was a monotone man reading traffic laws and an older guy telling stories.

Sadly it was probably the best/most informative class offered in my high school. We also had a very cooperative local PD and the Chief and senior officers were very community oriented which trickled down to all the other officers.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
"In doing so, the officer agreed to lessen the ticket to something that was a fine/no points instead of whatever I was really doing."

I have often wondered about having infractions reduced on scene because of exemplary actions by the defendant. Without looking into a gift horses mouth.. I ask here is not what the officer did falsifying a document? John Doe was doing 76 in a 55 but because he was nice and did everything right I (cop) am only writing ticket for 64 mph. I mean, has this ever backfired? Is not that ticket ripe with false information? I have never fought a ticket like this and I may have had one or two in my forty years + of driving (legally). I was just wondering if it could' be beat in court because it's untrue and 2, if the higher actual speed would then be the default or throw it all out? Any opinions/experiences out there or is it all on a case by case and/or the judge's whimsy. I have seen some pretty whimsical judges here in the South and usually not in a good whimsy way.

:nono:

Last edited by a moderator:

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
To answer your question, the officer should only be charging them with a crime they committed. In your example the driver was traveling at 76 mph in a 55 and was cited for going 64. In order to reach 76 mph, the offender had to hit 64 mph at some point, and in order to come to a stop from 76 mph, the offender had to hit 64 mph in the view of the officer. Therefore the officer is not "falsifying any records or documents" because the driver had to have been driving at 64 mph for some point in time, no matter how long or short a period of time.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Oops, had a second part to that post that I forgot about cause my wife was talking to me... Generally if someone is decent and has committed a more expensive infraction (running a stop sign) and also isn't wearing their seatbelt I usually give them a warning for the stop sign ($90 and 1 point ticket) and give them a ticket for seatbelt ($25 or 35 and 0 points). If someone is doing 76 mph in a 55 while wearing a seatbelt and the officer writes for the seatbelt (even though the guy was wearing it) to cut the guy a break, that is EASILY beaten in court and can besmirch the officers reputation... and the officer has no recourse at that point.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Thanks^^ All very good points you have offered. Didn't think of that first one. Always learning something from this group! Awesome. :)

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Officer did a great job in my honest opinion. The subject was a Felon he could of done a FELONY TRAFFIC STOP on him if he wanted.. He also gave the guy several warnings which is enough to Taze or mace the guy. He also attempted to elude the officer by not stoping quickly which is another felony here in Texas. If someone exits the car before i get my ass out of mine you better beleave that my Glock will be aming at you. I had a bad experince once where a guy exited the car while i wrote a citation and walked over to me i had to pull out my gun on him while i was still sitting down while i exited the car. After that incident I dont allow anyone to exit the vehicle and when im writing citations i MAKE THEM get out of the car and stand infront of my hood after i made sure they did not have any weapons while i write the citation or i stand on the passenger side of my unit while i write the citation and they stay seated inside there car. My greatest fear is to be shot and killed while im sitting in my patrol car.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.