Officers Shot, Deputy Killed In Clark Co. Ohio

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
sorry wrong post.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
That news crew that was on the scene got some gripping footage. RIP deputy. You didn't deserve what you got. Fortunately the perp got what he deserved. I don't care how it happened, dead is dead.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Not the first time the suspect had done something like this:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/03/8/state-county-investigators-probe-ohio-shootout-ar-348410/

Apparently, the Morgan County sheriff's office received a complaint in 2001 (exact date undetermined) about Ferryman shooting at other campers who were taking firewood from a community pile.

When officers responded, Ferryman fired a weapon in the direction of the officers. The officers retreated to a safe area and called for additional units. The area was secured and negotiations began. During the next 26 hours, Ferryman fired several times in the direction of officers. Ferryman surrendered, was taken into custody and was charged with felonious assault on police officers.

He was incarcerated and later was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 2003.

He was committed to a mental health facility.

He was granted conditional release in 2005, and he was evaluated by that mental-health facility in 2008

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Funeral Info:

Visiting hours for Deputy Suzanne Hopper are scheduled for Thursday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at First Christian Church. The church is located at 3638 Middle Urbana Road in Springfield.

Hopper's funeral is set to be held at First Christian Church, as well, starting at 11 a.m.

This information is supplied by Littleton and Rue Funeral Home, located at 830 N. Limestone Street in Springfield. Contact the business at 937-323-6439 for more information.

http://littletonandrue.com/_mgxroot/pag ... ?id=878489

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
rwo978 said:
So, why does he even have a gun again?

Probably a family member, neighbor, or something along those lines... there's no way he legitimately purchased one (or at least I'd hope not). The douche bag got what he deserved.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
This incident has everyone shaken up around here. (I live about 10 minutes away) If you are a loser skeezbag with no life, why not just shoot yourself? They always want to take someone else with them.

Several friends of mine knew Deputy Hopper well. Although I never had the privilege of meeting her, it sounds like she was one of the best, and will be missed.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
This is why I hate "not guilty by reason of insanity".

You are dangerously insane? Then sit in jail.
As I know it, you get that as a disposition, you sit in a rubber room for a while. Why is this guy out again? With the last incident and the 'mentally insane', who dropped the ball?

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Gov Taft slashed and cut all our State mental health hospitals. Instead of being institutionalized where they can be treated and monitored by health professionals, they are tossed into society, with no supervision. They end up in a revolving door with the justice system.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ParkPiggy said:
Gov Taft slashed and cut all our State mental health hospitals. Instead of being institutionalized where they can be treated and monitored by health professionals, they are tossed into society, with no supervision. They end up in a revolving door with the justice system.

Well, that's obviously working out great for them.... :roll:

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Deputy Hopper's funeral was today. An estimated 800 cruisers in the procession, with officers from as far away as Canada, Chicago, and Los Angeles. The graveside service featured the traditional 21 gun salute and a 3 helicopter fly-over. A fitting tribute to a fallen sister.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I haven't followed much of the coverage.... where was Deputy Hopper wounded? I know one of the clips I saw of the shootout blurred a portion between the trailer and the officers. I assumed that was Deputy Hopper's body. Not trying to be gruesome or disrespectful - just didn't know what the nature of her injuries were or how they came about.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
The blurred area was her. She was checking the area for shots fired, and everyone thought the suspect was long gone, or the shot had been from a distance. She had started taking EV photos, when the suspect opened a trailer door and shot her at close distance in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun. She never had a chance to react, and her gun was still holstered. It was a blatant execution.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
crescentstar69 said:
The blurred area was her. She was checking the area for shots fired, and everyone thought the suspect was long gone, or the shot had been from a distance. She had started taking EV photos, when the suspect opened a trailer door and shot her at close distance in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun. She never had a chance to react, and her gun was still holstered. It was a blatant execution.

Jesus Christ....

What a horrific way to go. I can only imagine the pain that her family and fellow officers are feeling. Hopefully they have some well placed Crisis Intervention for those guys. They're gonna need some care for a long time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.