Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters

jatchinson

Feb 25, 2012
West Michigan
Fury said:

Update:

265140_192358694148745_4396971_n.jpg

Per Facebook Page: I officially launched: Samaritan Emergency Roadway Services-LLC in the spring of 2010 after saving many pennies to purchase a auto that was outfitted to do what I wanted to do in a more professional manner with more equipment then I have had in the past.

I also wanted to be sure that I would have a auto capable of meeting my needs for my own volunteer work with: Local SAR, NASAR, CERT and SkyWarn as well as any local or state agency or private company that may call upon myself

265140_192358690815412_8035792_n.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
fedsigMaster said:
These pictures are from our department's new 2012 F450 rescue truck. After the 'County Shop' did there thing to it I decided to look around. After rerunning the lightbar harness, stopping the radio wires from arcing when you turned the siren on, looming ALL of the the shop's wiring, and moving the mic clip so that you could put the truck in drive (yes, they mounted the mic so it obstructed the shifter). I was kinda fed up that our chief would let a brand new truck get defaced by the people who are suppose to keep the truck repaired. Then I got underneath....See attached photos. The first 2 are the wire that goes to the once auto ejecting shore line that hasn't worked in years(old rescue box now on new truck). The bottom photo is the ground for the ENTIRE emergency light system (Whelen justice bar, wig-wags, 10 code 3 45BZRH perimeter lights, and the justice's alley lights). I am no upfitter, just a firefighter with a passion for lights. This unnerving thinking that the people that did this are in charge of my life and my patients life.

Is the shop foreman named "Bubba" perchance? :crazy:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
jatchinson said:
Update:

View attachment 43589View attachment 43590

Per Facebook Page: I officially launched: Samaritan Emergency Roadway Services-LLC in the spring of 2010 after saving many pennies to purchase a auto that was outfitted to do what I wanted to do in a more professional manner with more equipment then I have had in the past.

I also wanted to be sure that I would have a auto capable of meeting my needs for my own volunteer work with: Local SAR, NASAR, CERT and SkyWarn as well as any local or state agency or private company that may call upon myself

Repost... about the 537th time I believe.... always a for sale ad. He's never going to sell that thing like that. :suicide: :suicide: :duh: :duh:

fedsigMaster

Nov 28, 2011
Augusta, Ga
stansdds said:
Is the shop foreman named "Bubba" perchance? :crazy:

Haha. Actually foreman's name is John. It wouldn't surprise me though if one of his minions held the prestigious name of "Bubba". But hey, what is one to expect from rural Georgia.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
jatchinson said:
Only seen it once in this thread, where else is it?

That atrocity has surfaced numerous times on the board in various sub-forums over the several years he's been trying to offload it.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
Jarred J. said:
if i hadnt been driving our ema van in the parade saturday i would have gotten a pic of a van blocking an intersection owned by a guy on the rescue unit.

he had his van parked blocking both lanes of a side road. his "emergency lights" were the led "stobe lights" that went on clearance 2 weeks ago after halloween. i would love to see a video of him getting out to turn them on. you know... since they are battery operated and alll..... :crazy:

Actually, I have a handful of them and installed a yellow filter over them for work. On the occassions I have to use them, they work excellently and have worked during special coverage postings where I'm working out of my vehicle. (No, I don't go driving in hot pursuit with them). They're plentiful, inexpensive, don't run down you car battery, and if they get broken, you ain't outta nothing like you would for something high dollar.

They do the job I need them to do, nothing more.

PHX_Upfitter

Jun 5, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Found a couple small pics of a truck that used to be on the local craigslist. Big ol' Whelen Edge on the roof, and five crappy Wal-Mart rotator beacons which look like they're mounted on some sort of homemade grille guard. Not sure if the guy actually sold the truck, or if he just gave up on selling it, but it hasn't been on there for a while.

ai.imgur.com_xYqjp.jpg

ai.imgur.com_D8Kyj.jpg

ast123

Oct 27, 2012
South Georgia
fedsigMaster said:
Haha. Actually foreman's name is John. It wouldn't surprise me though if one of his minions held the prestigious name of "Bubba". But hey, what is one to expect from rural Georgia.

Where exactly in rural Georgia are we talkin?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Turbocharger said:
Found a couple small pics of a truck that used to be on the local craigslist. Big ol' Whelen Edge on the roof, and five crappy Wal-Mart rotator beacons which look like they're mounted on some sort of homemade grille guard. Not sure if the guy actually sold the truck, or if he just gave up on selling it, but it hasn't been on there for a while.

ai.imgur.com_D8Kyj.jpg
Wow. I think the Edge would have been more than sufficient. This is not only whacktastic, it's also craptacular. :crazy:

I would've thought the need for blocking roads due to fallen trees/power lines was already fulfilled by the trees/lines themselves...

I hear some banjos dueling whilst deciphering the rest of that...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That gets a whacktastic award! I find stuff like that to be less effective as warning devices and more of a distraction to drivers. It's great in a parade, but that's all.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Looks like an over abundance of Tow Truck LEDs' marker lights to me.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
seriously one of the dumbest installs i have ever seen.

Wife: "you took out a third mortgage on our house why????"

then again, someone with a rig like this probably isnt married :haha:

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
ok, got on FB tonight and noticed this. Guy set this as his Profile pic....he runs with on or 2 of the area depts in the county

omg.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
triton911bj said:
ok, got on FB tonight and noticed this. Guy set this as his Profile pic....he runs with on or 2 of the area depts in the county

A mini-bar and a dash light is not a bad set up for a volly, but is the bar mounted at an angle? :undecided: Is that for improved intersection warning? :rolleyes: I can't imagine that car going fast enough to make the mini-bar move. :haha:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
triton911bj said:
Gotta be one of those alphabet-agency undercover unit... Damn they are good... :cool:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
stansdds said:
A mini-bar and a dash light is not a bad set up for a volly, but is the bar mounted at an angle? :undecided: Is that for improved intersection warning? :rolleyes: I can't imagine that car going fast enough to make the mini-bar move. :haha:

looks like the bar is mounted inline with the vehicle instead of across the roof... not great for a POV, especially if responding to the station. I've seen a pic (probably on here) of a Fire Police vehicle, I think it was an older Suburban, with a "normal" mounted bar and another full bar running lengthwise down the back half with a TA on both sides of the bar for blocking traffic... that makes sense. This guy doesn't.

Now, turn that mini-bar the right way and take the custom plates out of the window and he's got a good setup.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Saw this at the local tire shop.

P1040156_50.jpg

Not sure if this guy's a whacker or not, based on the trunk and roof mount antennae, but there are no warning lights to the front or sides and the plate is a commercial/pickup truck series, not a municipal plate. Wish I'd taken a closer look to see if the lower stick is just sitting on the rear shelf or really mounted in place.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
jph2 said:
View attachment 43949

Not sure if this guy's a whacker or not, based on the trunk and roof mount antennae, but there are no warning lights to the front or sides and the plate is a commercial/pickup truck series, not a municipal plate. Wish I'd taken a closer look to see if the lower stick is just sitting on the rear shelf or really mounted in place.

Looks as though that upper bar is pointing down pretty bad.

jatchinson

Feb 25, 2012
West Michigan
jph2 said:
View attachment 43949

Passed that on the highway outside GR one night, wondered the same thing about it, I would like to know.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Respondcode3 said:
Ive seen worse.. Nothing a few pattern changes cant fix

I concur, needs some pattern work.

The whacker in me liked this setup. A little excessive, yes (4-head Dominators in each pass. window) but other than that I'd say it kinda rocks!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
jph2 said:
View attachment 43949

Looks to have a light above the RVM, slimlighter perhaps?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
strobecrazy said:
Not enough lights. :suicide:
Holy freaking light show! Not so much effective as it is distracting. ~cough, whacker, whacker, cough, cough~ :bonk:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
EVT said:
Looks as though that upper bar is pointing down pretty bad.
I thought the same thing.

jatchinson said:
Passed that on the highway outside GR one night, wondered the same thing about it, I would like to know.
Interesting. I saw it in Royal Oak (southeast Michigan vs. Grand Rapids in west central). Leads me to believe it's definitely not local and I suspect not governmental at all...

irsa76 said:
Looks to have a light above the RVM, slimlighter perhaps?
You could be right. There was nothing on the outside mirrors or in the front grill or driver/passenger headliner areas. I might not have eyeballed the RVM area so well, not expecting anything there if there was nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
hawkspringsfire said:
What do Control Officers do?

I know this is ressurrecting a dead thread, but Houston Pioneer Control Officers had a bad incident here over the weekend. They have a video out on You Tube as to what they do. Just look up the name of the company.

If you choose to watch the video...I strongly advise not to be drinking anything or having to go to the can anywhere near your computer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.