Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
In the neighborhood today I noticed an old beat up Ford Ranger pulled to the side totally lit up with a bunch of clear/amber LEDs suction-cupped to the rear window. As I got close I realized it was a Pizza Hut delivery guy dropping off somebody's dinner. Had the magnetic pizza sign on the roof and various punk rock band stickers on the bumper. Tried to get pics but couldn't find digicam :-(.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Hes bitchin about some civi impala with an amber lightbar when he himself has a slimmiser in the window. Maybe there was a legitamate reason for the impala to have the lightbar, like security or something. The pot calling the kettle black

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Mike L. said:
Hes bitchin about some civi impala with an amber lightbar when he himself has a slimmiser in the window. Maybe there was a legitamate reason for the impala to have the lightbar, like security or something. The pot calling the kettle black

Looks like a radar detector to me. Not to mention it is a Corvette...

rabidjade

May 21, 2010
Iowa
ISU_Cyclone said:
Looks like a radar detector to me. Not to mention it is a Corvette...

If Mike read the owner's Youtube channel information rather than jumping to a conclusion and posting a knee-jerk reactionary defense, he might have seen that. Just checking the guy's information and other videos he talks about the devices he has in his car and what they are used for. In the video in question he stated an observation off of the information he had at hand and there is nothing wrong what he did.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
rabidjade said:
If Mike read the owner's Youtube channel information rather than jumping to a conclusion and posting a knee-jerk reactionary defense, he might have seen that. Just checking the guy's information and other videos he talks about the devices he has in his car and what they are used for. In the video in question he stated an observation off of the information he had at hand and there is nothing wrong what he did.

From my vantage point with it looked like a warning light with it mounted behind the RVM like that. And for the record I can't read you tube comments on my computer at work...so it wasn't a "knee - jerk, reactionary" statement. But I will say rabid that your comment reminds me why I can't stand you, quite frankly I was hoping you would abandon ELB and stick with you PolicePosers page.

For the record I didn't see anything wrong with the impala. Lots of civi impalas driving around and who knows maybe he had a legitamate excuse for the lights. Quite frankly, if it is illegal thats up for the LEOs to enforce, not the wannabe light police. One of the reasons the old board sucked were members trying to be the lightbar police.

rabidjade

May 21, 2010
Iowa
Mike L. said:
From my vantage point with it looked like a warning light with it mounted behind the RVM like that. And for the record I can't read you tube comments on my computer at work...so it wasn't a "knee - jerk, reactionary" statement. But I will say rabid that your comment reminds me why I can't stand you, quite frankly I was hoping you would abandon ELB and stick with you PolicePosers page.

1. So seeing only one thing gave you reason enough to jump on the video author? I've seen people called whacker over more evidence and you jump on them for not having the whole story. That seems a little hypocritical if you ask me.

2. You don't like me, get over it. Throwing childish insults doesn't result in anything other than showing the true character of someone. I don't like some people on here but I don't wish anything on them as this is a public forum owned by someone else. PM me if you have issues you want to iron out.

Mike L. said:
Quite frankly, if it is illegal thats up for the LEOs to enforce, not the wannabe light police.

Yup, if I got a nickel for every time I heard "we don't care about those types of crimes until someone is robbed, hurt, or killed", I would be rich. A vigilant, educated, and observant public is better than an obtuse and one thinking the law enforcement sector will enforce 100% of the laws 100% of the time. I don't condone vigilante justice but I don't support turning a blind eye until it affects me either.

This is my reply on this matter. Let the thread get back on topic.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Mike L. said:

For the record I didn't see anything wrong with the impala. Lots of civi impalas driving around and who knows maybe he had a legitamate excuse for the lights. Quite frankly, if it is illegal thats up for the LEOs to enforce, not the wannabe light police. One of the reasons the old board sucked were members trying to be the lightbar police.[/quote:23vacmhy]

One does not need to read anything to realize that it is a radar detector, just watch any one of the other videos he has posted. Plus a Whelen Slim Miser does not have two suction cups next to each other, there is only one on each end. So yes, you jumped to conclusions too quickly and did not do any research before you made your comment. It does not matter if you can not read the comments, it is not needed because almost all the videos are about the radar detector.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Hilarious - a guy with a radar detector complaining about a guy with a lightbar being defended by guys assuming that the guy with the lightbar might break a law and that the guy with the radar detector is cool. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that "radar detectors promote safety by telling us where the police are and reminding people to slow down" I'd have enough nickels to pay for all those radar detectors that people thought would save them from speeding tickets and didn't.

If I got a nickel for everybody who committed crimes without illegally using flashing lights I'd have a hell of a lot more nickels than the poser patrol.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Nope...not using lights for any purpose than advertising. It would be like calling Universal Studios a bunch of whackers

rabidjade

May 21, 2010
Iowa

rabidjade

May 21, 2010
Iowa

Zach C.

May 22, 2010
Southeast, USA
pdx911 said:
Sigh... he wasn't even that badly cut off, I wouldn't have worried about it. Just lookin' for an excuse to show off in his vid.

:shock: :shock: If I had a penny for everytime I got "cut off" like he did in Chattanooga I would be rich. I will be talking to one of my friends up there to keep a watch on him.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
SireLite said:
Was just sent this by some guy in china. Look at the power cable running down the front window. :lol:
xinsrc_0608013120306251294214.jpg[/attachment:3mznocyr]
Actually quite common to be honest.. Even thou it looks like shit.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
rabidjade said:
It is actually this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kgowen4444

He was also in the old whacker thread and the "Install hall of shame" threads on the older boards.

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of keeping sex offenders away from kids, but on Halloween nights this is the kind of pain in the ass stuff I don't have time for. I mean if a concerned parent calls in that is one thing, but this big tub o lard calling in just to get his jollies is another. As a parent I would be more concerned with this whack job cruising up and down the street.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
SireLite said:
Was just sent this by some guy in china. Look at the power cable running down the front window on this police car. :lol:

That's actually a fairly common way to install lightbars. There are several agencies in Iowa that I can think of that do that. Saves drilling holes in the roof, they say. To me, if you're gonna drill 3 holes for antennas you might as well drill one for the lightbar cable too, but oh well.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The CVPI that my friend (triton911bj) and I are re-doing for a officer buddy of ours... It was a cruiser from a neighboring police agency and I think all their wiring was done in-house by the township road crews...

Click for larger image...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_B_20and_20B_20Lig4922ed60a7aafe8d0c48a7617a9fe8e4.jpg ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_B_20and_20B_20Lig76f4883c57bf318b43339bc946e77376.jpg ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_B_20and_20B_20Lig1a3f6b88601ec80e9891d869ccbaefcd.jpg

It can also be seen HERE

I don't have a pic if it, but the wires were run from the engine bay, through the fender an into the car via the door grommet... LoL We are in the process of re-doing about 90% of this car...

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
Stendec said:
Hilarious - a guy with a radar detector complaining about a guy with a lightbar being defended by guys assuming that the guy with the lightbar might break a law and that the guy with the radar detector is cool. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that "radar detectors promote safety by telling us where the police are and reminding people to slow down" I'd have enough nickels to pay for all those radar detectors that people thought would save them from speeding tickets and didn't.

If I got a nickel for everybody who committed crimes without illegally using flashing lights I'd have a hell of a lot more nickels than the poser patrol.
i just love how when you stop somebody for speeding or what not they always say well my radar detector never went off. And i add well i hate to tell you but we use lidar not radar. Always funny to see there reaction. :D :D

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Lt. Dino said:
No no... to give the Charger credibility... THIS is a burnout. You know you've done it right when the FD shows up.

FAIL.

That's something that used to be a Charger with $30K+ of crap. Would have been really funny if he got a vid of it fully involved, considering all the smoke coming out of the cockpit and trunk. However, I chuckle enough with the $1k worth of tires he just burned thru being 'cool.' :roll:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Lt. Dino said:
No no... to give the Charger credibility... THIS is a burnout. You know you've done it right when the FD shows up.

I was at walmart and these highschoolers were doing burnouts in their old hick trucks so i had to show em how its done in my ss, and someone called the county fire dept, and the cops wrote me a $90 ticket but it was well worth it, i probably covered the entire parking lot with smoke! :lol:

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Forty-five years ago when I was first driving and driving my parents car, burning rubber seemed the cool thing to do. A few years later when I got a job, purchased my own car and now had to buy my own tires, it no longer seemed to be fun any longer.

Reactions: firemanemt89

JLazz1524

May 27, 2010
North FL
Just browsing around youtube and stumbled across this gem:

My favorite part of that video is the blue line decal.....no wait, it's definitely the siren and the random blue light.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I had these "gems" presented on the old ELB whacker thread....because they really don't belong in this particular task (only in the minds of their owners) and degrade the car's integrity.

Presenting the top 3 CVPI "storm chaser" cars...:roll: (that I've found at least):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2dCOHDuLro

Do they really need a retired patrol car to chase tornadoes in :|? A perfectly good beater truck that's mechanically sound can do that job, because they will run into hail and flying debris (if they are crazy enough...) eventually. Those cars ARE going to get the piss beat out of them.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
CrownVic97 said:
I had these "gems" presented on the old ELB whacker thread....because they really don't belong in this particular task (only in the minds of their owners) and degrade the car's integrity.

I like the mini lightbar in the back window of the one car, with no blackout to keep the light from completely blinding the driver while he's supposed to be checking for weather formations...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.