Ohio ''Hostage lights"

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I picked up a bunch of Edge bars in Ohio a couple weeks ago & most of them had the purple-ish hostage light mounted to the rear center black sections.

I was kind of wondering if they're rare as I've only ever heard about depts. in Ohio using them?

& are they worth anything? I have probably 10 & haven't really decided what to do with them.

osp1.jpg

osp2.jpg

osp3.jpg

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I know of a guy searching for these, would you part with one? The Ohio State Highway Patrol used them to alert other officers in case they were taken hostage and couldn't call for help. They were activated by a hidden switch.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
crescentstar69 said:
I know of a guy searching for these, would you part with one? The Ohio State Highway Patrol used them to alert other officers in case they were taken hostage and couldn't call for help. They were activated by a hidden switch.

Interesting :undecided:

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
If the patrolman was ever taken hostage in his own vehicle, he could flip a hidden switch and it would illuminate letting other officers know he was being held hostage. Never heard of any other agencies using such a device.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
crescentstar69 said:
Is that you I have been talking to on Craigslist, Jman?

No. I was just acknowledging the concept as you described it. It was not at all what I was thinking... not that I had any idea to begin with.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I'd have no problem letting some go.

I think they're just a bigger (or same size?) version of those "blue dots" or whatever they're called. Usually seen in the taillights of older hot rods, etc.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazy:

As a retired Trooper, I need a few of those for my restorations.

The OSP Yankee, Jetsonic, and Whelen Edge all had these lights. Once the patrol went to the Vista's the light was incorporated right in to the LED bar.

The lights were activated by a small metal toggle switch in the drivers kick panel. When activated, it turned off the CB, LEERN and Intercity radio so the patrol could coordinate a rescue effort. They also alerted passing Troopers when they saw the blue light.

Every marked unit had one. Some vehicles that were equipped with a Vector or mini Jetstream had one stuck in one of the backup lamps.

I would be more than happy to take some of those off your hands. I saw the govdeals auction, but didn't want to buy so many lightbars just for those lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I remember passing a Trooper who had his activated. I called it in, and it made quite a stir. Turned out, he had accidentally hit the switch and all was well. They seemed to appreciate the report.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I picked 3 bars from Wauseon but these had no hostage lights. However they had the red/blue w/clear kickers on the outer strobes.

The bigger lots I bought from Clark County pretty much all had them along w/the lenses w/kickers. But some of them are just the light & the socket/bulb are missing.

I guess once the state got done using the bars, they got passed down to county / city departments?

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
OSP also used the same light to the front grill area to let them know the video was activated. I too saw OSP959R's wanted add and have been looking around, there out there. Sorta like the Vista's now plenty of them but they will get used and torn apart and eventually end up in a trash pile. If you have a spare I would be interested in one. Glad to see some one on the board won the auction. The ones with the clear kickers could have come from Park Ranger cars as they are changing over to the same Code 3 bar the OSP uses.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
crescentstar69 said:
I remember passing a Trooper who had his activated. I called it in, and it made quite a stir. Turned out, he had accidentally hit the switch and all was well. They seemed to appreciate the report.

We would usually tell each other to check the CB after we passed. If your CB was off it was a quick indicator that your light was on.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Every OSP Yankee, Jetsonic, and Edge have an engraved number starting with '76' on them. The Jetsonic is on the drivers side of the speaker (where the lens slides under), the Yankee is on the tray inside, and the Edge is on the top.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
crescentstar69 said:
The Ohio State Highway Patrol used them to alert other officers in case they were taken hostage and couldn't call for help. They were activated by a hidden switch.

Was the utilization of this device the result of an actual Hostage situation? Or just a preventative measure?

mike2459

May 22, 2010
South Glens Falls,NY
The Saratoga County Sheriffs Dept in New York had those lights on the back of the Federal Signal lightbars they ran back in the 80's. They were mounted right in the center of the lightbar, Then they switched to the jetsonics and I don't know if they were on them or not.

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
The things I learn every day! I have one of the OSP's low current Edge bar's I got on trade and I always wondered what that light was for...I was thinking it was to illuminate a roof unit number or something...Thanks for the education! :thumbsup:

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
ClintonPSE said:
The things I learn every day! I have one of the OSP's low current Edge bar's I got on trade and I always wondered what that light was for...I was thinking it was to illuminate a roof unit number or something...Thanks for the education! :thumbsup:

Here's an odd fact for you:

The Ohio State Patrol has (2) helicopters and (14) planes, and not a single car has the number on the roof. Yet, I see small depts with the numbers on the top of the roof or trunk.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
55326d1372794217t-ohio-hostage-lights-osp1.jpg

ChargerLighting said:
I picked up a bunch of Edge bars in Ohio a couple weeks ago & most of them had the purple-ish hostage light mounted to the rear center black sections.
I was kind of wondering if they're rare as I've only ever heard about depts. in Ohio using them?

& are they worth anything? I have probably 10 & haven't really decided what to do with them.

I didn't realize this until I received some of these from ChargerLighting, but the patrol had (2) variations of this light.

49981d1365876217-blue-gem-light-yankee-end-caps-switch-panel-hostage_light-2.jpg

Note that the light in the second photo sticks out much further than those posted by ChargerLighting. The blue lens and diameter is exact, but the ones on the Edges are more of a flush mount. It could be that the Patrol got a newer batch for the Edges that were a slightly different design and not as long. I have a Jetsonic that still had the hostage light, which tells me the Patrol sold the bars with the lights instead of transferring them to the Edges.

I believe OSP had Whelen install the blue lights in the Edge bars. The white plug on the back of the hostage lights looks to 'factory' on the Edge bars. Thinking about it, I probably found a used Jetsonic with the hostage light in it because OSP wasn't transferring them to the new Whelen Edges. The contract (bid) probably required Whelen to get some of the blue gem style lights from the manufacturer/supplier the patrol had been using, and install them in the bar for OSP.

55327d1372794217t-ohio-hostage-lights-osp2.jpg

Unfortunately, this means I'm still on the hunt for one of the older style hostage lights.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
That is neat! I always wondered what that was in the middle of the bar.

OSP959® said:
Every OSP Yankee, Jetsonic, and Edge have an engraved number starting with '76' on them. The Jetsonic is on the drivers side of the speaker (where the lens slides under), the Yankee is on the tray inside, and the Edge is on the top.

What does the 76 mean?

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
That is neat! I always wondered what that was in the middle of the bar.

What does the 76 mean?

I haven't figured that out yet. Maybe it's an agency code.

I took the light out of the Edge panel and compared it to the old style. The ones in the Edge don't have a name on them. The longer old style light says 'Dial Co NY' on it. I can find them online in green and red, but not blue.

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
This generates a new question for me at least... Since OHP went to blue for law enforcement use, do they still have the hostage lights and are they still blue?

Dennis

resQyou

eire34

I just bought a old jetsonic from the Ohio Highway patrol and have the hostage light , the bar is blue and clear. Must put photos up. I will sell this lightbar, Only just after collecting it 2 months ago. It was in a warehouse with inches of dust sitting on it. I bought 5 jetsonic and some aerodynamic light bars, all look like the 70,s 80s and 90's

Here is one of 5 vintage lights I just bought off OHP. I collected this 2 months ago and just found out about the hostage light yesterday.

Attachments

• hostage jetsonic light.jpg
    hostage jetsonic light.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 90
  • hostage light.jpg
    hostage light.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 100
  • close up view of hostage light jetsonic.jpg
    close up view of hostage light jetsonic.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: thatoneiowan

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
What is the purpose of the hostage light. I’ve never heard of that before or seen one on a lightbar.

Jeep YJ Dude

Dec 30, 2019
Illinois
The numbers after the " 76 " Could they been a cruiser number ? Radio call number ? ( District , Post / cruiser # )

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.