Ohio State Highway Police

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
They've been testing several bars for a little over a year. I know amber Raydians were being tested on several of school bus inspector vans and one communication van. Last I heard, there was no official word. I have to go with in 2 blocks of the install shop tomorrow. I'll try & swing by and see if anything is sitting outside. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Raydians, most troopers don't even bother with the upper strobes on the Vistas and just use the lower section lights..

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
They are demoing freedom's , liberties, defenders arjents, and legends. I live 2 doors down from the upfitter for ne ohio.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The upper decks on the current vistas are pointless....

Stendec

May 21, 2010
And whats with the black "speaker" section? They put in trunk flashers, but couldn't spend an extra 50 beans for a center rotator.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
they were forced to put all those lights in the rear windows. I go to the spec opening and demo vehicle display every year when they award the contracts. I have seen all kinds of things on that day go down.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
I passed a trooper that had a vista a couple of weeks ago, and you are right about the lower section being bright and I could not see the strobes if they were even on

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rick h. said:
I passed a trooper that had a vista a couple of weeks ago, and you are right about the lower section being bright and I could not see the strobes if they were even on

I can never tell if they are on until I am right up on them.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
JohnMarcson said:
I can never tell if they are on until I am right up on them.

Sad thing is that the 2 cudas to the front and flashing takedowns wash out the strobes. It does not even have to be the 800 LEDs to the rear to wash out the strobes.

I remember on the old old board (2 versions ago now) someone was looking at purchasing one, and I gave my opinion as to not buy it. Man did that piss people off thinking I did not like it because it was not Whelen. Had nothing to do with it. Somebody was saying the new (at that time) strobe supply was better than the first one put in the bars. Well, to this day, I say the strobes up top are worthless. They should have just chopped the tops off awhile ago and added a few more LEDs up front to the bar. and a pair of LEDs in the grill. Would have been a better lighting package, and probably cheaper.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I remember on the old old board (2 versions ago now) someone was looking at purchasing one, and I gave my opinion as to not buy it.

hey, I'm tring to sell the upper strobe systems as parts. :?

Quit stepping on my mo-jo :eek:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I drove by the central install shop on Alum Creek yesterday, Lots of plain white CVPIs waiting for work. Guess I'll have to stop by again in a week or 2 and see if anything's different. Also saw several new Dodge sedans in the back in various colors (too far away to tell if they are Chargers or Avengers). Maybe these are unmarked supervisor's cars?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Its not a "State Police" or "Highway Police" its the "State Highway Patrol."

All true comments about the OSHP Vista. It really sucks and all the Troopers use are the LED's mostly. They should go to LED HAW's also.

Ryan, I wasnt aware that OSHP subbed out installs. I thought everything was done in-house at Central Install here in Columbus. Of all the times I have been to Central Install, I dont think I have ever seen a completed car out front, just rows of new white ones sitting there wating their turn.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
FireEMSPolice said:

All true comments about the OSHP Vista. It really sucks and all the Troopers use are the LED's mostly. They should go to LED HAW's also.

Ryan, I wasnt aware that OSHP subbed out installs. I thought everything was done in-house at Central Install here in Columbus. Of all the times I have been to Central Install, I dont think I have ever seen a completed car out front, just rows of new white ones sitting there wating their turn.

About the subbing out, I thought the same thing. Every trooper I have known had to go to Columbus to drop off his old car and pick up the new one. Troopers living far away usually stay overnight at the academy. It was always my impression the work was done in Columbus.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I know they do have some contract repair shops "out in the boonies"...

Stendec

May 21, 2010
FireEMSPolice said:

Useless trivia: unless it was disbanded in the last couple years, there is actually an "Ohio State Police" - they wear nearly identical uniforms, the cars are almost identical, but they essentially do nothing but provide some security services at some state facilities, while Troopers provide security at others. They work year-round at the state fairgrounds. They are, or were, essentially Ohio's version of the Federal Protective Service. I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple dozen of them.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Stendec said:
Useless trivia: unless it was disbanded in the last couple years, there is actually an "Ohio State Police" - they wear nearly identical uniforms, the cars are almost identical, but they essentially do nothing but provide some security services at some state facilities, while Troopers provide security at others. They work year-round at the state fairgrounds. They are, or were, essentially Ohio's version of the Federal Protective Service. I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple dozen of them.

Yup, still around. Every great now and again, I'll see a posting on the state jobs website. Its listed in the pulldown menu at a job title to search. And, exactly right about basically being the state equivalent of FPS.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
HFD38RESQ said:
Sorry for making you mad if you dont like the tittle dont read what i posted

??? What ???

He was just adding / correcting info......

VistaClrCntrUppr.JPG

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
JohnMarcson said:
??? What ???

He was just adding / correcting info......
Does anybody else find that people are getting more touchy by the day here? It's like walking on eggs trying not to offend people when you answer a post. Lighten up! :eek: :? :)

Stendec

May 21, 2010
While the OP finds a fresh maxipad, can anyone tell me the brand/model of the directional bar in the upper rear window?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Stendec said:
While the OP finds a fresh maxipad, can anyone tell me the brand/model of the directional bar in the upper rear window?

Here is a good view of the rear lighting set up in a 2008 CVPI

aimages112.fotki.com_v173_photos_4_49373_202652_rnpca3988_vi.jpg

Its all Fed Sig stuff (Cudas) as was said.

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
They put all that money into the rear deck, but haven't done squat with the lightbar. And whats up with the 1980's radar system, most highway patrol get top of the line radar systems being thats their main job.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.