OK collectors, here's a unique Whelen 8000 short bar!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Would it be too much to ask for pictures?

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
What the heck, I'm bidding on it. :)

If I win it, I'll can pick it up, as I will be at Maple Grove for the NHRA drag races on Oct.8,9,10.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
I intentionally didn't post pics or a direct referral to try to ward off snoops that rat to a certain online site. I was hoping the numerical info would give seasoned members a hint of how to find it without too much fanfare on the board. Now that the beans are spilled, at least we have the seller's name to contact offline and try to work a deal.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
I would love to have that thing in all amber to put on my work truck.

Those old sealed beam strobes were awesome and bright as could be.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Wailer said:
The covers look green. And the bar even has a speaker in it! :)

I think green lenses were rather rare back in those days, at least they were somewhat available.

The lenses look like they were blue to me. I know lots of the older blue whelen domes and lenses would fade over time and begin to look green.

My county SO had the old double flash 9000 bars years ago, and after a few years in the beach weather and sun the lenses would fade and when the strobes were on, they would look more like a greenish color than blue. I always thought that was funny.

I once got a set of 9000 lenses that were red and after 3 years they started to look pink..

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Those are definitely faded blue domes. Faded blue domes turn aqua green after sunlight exposure over long periods of time.

Here's a true green Whelen 8000 dome; and the only one that I've ever seen:

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_collection_2009collection_IMG_2614.jpg

Here's a faded blue one:

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_collection_Whelen80_DSC09887.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Pimp said:
Those are definitely faded blue domes. Faded blue domes turn aqua green after sunlight exposure over long periods of time.
Whelen seems to be particularly prone to fading. Compare the blue stripe to the blue lights.

ai460.photobucket.com_albums_qq330_nerdlydood_foe_toez_DSC00453_1.jpg

ai460.photobucket.com_albums_qq330_nerdlydood_foe_toez_DSC00451_1.jpg

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
The older Whelen domes and lenses were the ones that faded badly but the newer style seem to hold up much better, plus they have a truer blue color when new. The newer reds also show a true red when used over a strobe and not pink like the older red lenses did. Maybe they figured out what to add to the dyes to keep them decent looking longer.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That and/or a different formulation in the make up of the plastic dome. My Whelen Corporal has a blue dome, not very faded at all, but still has a slightly green tint.

I remember the old 8000 strobe bars and even the 6000 bars. The pink hue created by the strobes under the old, red domes was really noticeable.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I won the bar, thanks to whoever cancelled their high/winning bid!

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
John, I also noticed the high bidder had canceled his bid, as he had originally bid over $1000 for it. Good score on that shorty, glad you got it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It arrived yesterday (intact too). Here are some pics, speaker is after market (speco makes burglar alarms)... cool bar though. It has two power supplies, one for the 360s and one for the PAR46s... they can be used together.

8000short4.jpg

8000short3.jpg

8000short2.jpg

8000short1.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That speaker looks like it was really crammed in there. :shock:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
stansdds said:
That speaker looks like it was really crammed in there. :shock:
Yeah it was... it's a car alarm speaker actually... I wonder what, if anything, was meant to be in there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.