Ok I just gotten my Aerodynic EAH

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
It’s a 1987 someone required the bar so there red power orange / red for ground. All but one of the rotators light up, it needs to be greased bad. The flashers are wired to the rotators, I removed the alley’s because I could not figure out which lead went into what.
please help your help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 0B9F0D02-2925-4592-BE28-711143C1A01E.jpeg
    0B9F0D02-2925-4592-BE28-711143C1A01E.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 70DBAED9-A236-47CF-8AA8-0848F29B42B6.jpeg
    70DBAED9-A236-47CF-8AA8-0848F29B42B6.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 11C0FEF2-D932-4526-A234-ED3493462802.jpeg
    11C0FEF2-D932-4526-A234-ED3493462802.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 19
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Your best bet is going to be with a multimeter.

I don't see a ground coming off the wiring block.
Red is primary power, and should push the motor and light the rotators.
The Brown wires are for the speaker..

At this point I would quote what colors are supposed to be what, but you will need to use a meter to test continuity to determine what wire does what.

Also with a blown lamp you will need a replacement 55watt H1 lamp.
And remove the motor and gearbox from the bar before you mess with the rotators.. don't want to strip the clutch gear.

See this video, probably will answer some questions.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Reactions: Tony P
Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Timing belt seems to catch every few rotations, it looks like the brass bushings are bad set the timing for LAPD, as it skipped the timing gotten out of wack. Also replacing the timing belt. How do I remove the pins and pin roll without damaging the plastic gears. image.jpgCleaned her up and found out all but one 55W H1 needs replacing.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The picture you reference to is a factory wiring harness.
Each color performs a different function.
Red Primary power.. lights rotator bulbs and powers motor.
Black Ground
Orange and Green Alley lights
Yellow and Blue Endlamps
Brown speaker
Grey is an accessory wire.

As I mentioned earlier with you.. undo your wiring block.
Get a meter and test all the wires in the bar to determine what goes where.
Make it easier on yourself and take cabling coming into the bar out of the equation.

Reactions: Jesse J Volanti
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Confirm that your inner idlers connected by belt are bad before proceeding.
Start at the center and work your way out (gear wise) out of synch is normally because the teeth are worn on the gears.

To remove the inner gears, take the belt off, then use a punch to drive out the roll pin on the bottom. they should just then pull apart.

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Confirm that your inner idlers connected by belt are bad before proceeding.
Start at the center and work your way out (gear wise) out of synch is normally because the teeth are worn on the gears.

To remove the inner gears, take the belt off, then use a punch to drive out the roll pin on the bottom. they should just then pull apart.
Question how to remove the belt inner idler gear, remove the belt without damaging the plastic gears

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
My inner idlers there bad had the motor removed, removed both left, right idler gears, free hand the inner idler and I’d feels like it gets hung up

Jun 18, 2013
PA
My inner idlers there bad had the motor removed, removed both left, right idler gears, free hand the inner idler and I’d feels like it gets hung up

Use some white lithium or some other synthetic type grease on the shaft. Does this resolve the hang up?

Question how to remove the belt inner idler gear, remove the belt without damaging the plastic gears

Bend the mounting plate ever so slightly until you have enough slack to get the belt off.

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Thank you I’ll try that, what’s the wrench size tiki get the rotators off... where or how to grease the rotators, idler gears is there a special fitting, what’s best or what you use

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Take a look at the video I first posted. I mention grease and grease points there.
As for the type of grease I use, a white synthetic grease works.. like lithium based or similar.

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Now since it doesn’t light nor does the motor run I forgot to ground the bar did I blow the motor

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Took off this back plate to clean, remove some carbon build up, now it doesn’t work. Put on the new belt..

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Ok fixed the issue,,, plugged in another bar to ground reground if that makes no sense. I basically had to unpositive the power supplyimage.jpg

I’d love to find a new power supply cable

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I wouldn't have messed with the motor if it was working. You can reach out to @Skulldigger and he may be able to walk you through some things, but its probably best to let him or someone with motor knowledge work on it.

Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Just tried to connect the flasher it kills the barimage.jpg

I know it’s not the power supply because
Just plugged in my sealed beam xl and it works fine.. maybe it’s the flasher, I’ve seen your video on the correct unit a cam flasher

Where may I purchase a cam flasher that has the X pattern

Jun 18, 2013
PA
It might also be your bar is drawing too many amps for the power supply to handle.

There is no X pattern flasher.. just a standard flasher that is wired to flash 2 lamps and 2 lamps.
This goes back to what I said about getting a multimeter and testing continuity.

This will tell you what wire connects to what lamp.

Your typical flasher will have 3 marks on it.. X which connects to power.
and L and P which connect to the loads.. in this instance the lamps.

Since you have 4 lamps you want to flash you would connect 2 wires to L and 2 wires to P.

Attachments

• Flasher Diagram.jpg
    Flasher Diagram.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1
Sep 21, 2016
Florida
Ok thank you, do you have a bulkhead, what are your prices for the domes.. figures out what was the cause. Wasn’t grounded properly. Rewired so there wasn’t any shorts. I’m using a 55 watt powermax converter. image.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Just tried to connect the flasher it kills the barView attachment 221694

I know it’s not the power supply because
Just plugged in my sealed beam xl and it works fine.. maybe it’s the flasher, I’ve seen your video on the correct unit a cam flasher

Where may I purchase a cam flasher that has the X pattern

It appears you have a switchmode power supply. Like many automotive battery chargers, many switchmode power supplies cause havoc with electronic flashers like your Tridon EL13.

You may consider using a small sealed lead acid battery in parallel if you must use a switchmode power supply instead of a linear power supply.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
A cheap Harbor Freight jump pack with a proper inline fuse does the job as well.
I've used one of those on almost every video I have ever done..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.