Old, but still in Service O.O

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I was at a Wildfire Fighting class at my Fire Dept today. Other departments were invited, and some came from Monticello-Placitas Volunteer Fire Dept. I thought we were running some pretty old rigs, but their firefighters showed up in the beauty pictured below. I would call that a Federal Twinsonic on there, wouldn't you? Yes, this vehicle is still in service. :)
20170211_090531.jpeg 20170211_090624.jpeg

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Diets omnichief or cheetah bar. Def. it a twin. I know a guy whose really into twins and he said nope.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Reactions: OliverD

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Whatever it is, I like it. That truck has to be 40 years old too, I am guessing. I am not really a chevy guy though.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Whatever it is, I like it. That truck has to be 40 years old too, I am guessing. I am not really a chevy guy though.

the pickup is a 68 to 71 Chev based on the grill. And its great that they keep a period correct lightbar on the truck. Definitely a Sireno Condor. Sweet old truck, but I know there are grants out there for a newer vehicle, I just got one for our County Dept.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
If it ain't broke, why fix it? That may very well be the original bar put on that truck when both were new. Did anyone catch that siren on the fender? :D

Reactions: CrownVic97

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
The bar, the siren, and the truck are just really cool! It's a blast from the past and it's great to see it still in service and looking really good. That says a lot about that department right there.

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
We still have this in front line service. Not period correct lighting on it though.

1975 Dodge/Pierce W-300 Mini-Pumper

Attachments

• IMG_20170123_144221_790.jpg
    IMG_20170123_144221_790.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 42

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
That bumper looks like a toy car I had as a kid. You'd roll it into the wall, and it would pop into 5 pieces.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
As other members have suggested it is a Sireno Condor.
It is easy to spot.
More or less straight sided lenses in comparation with the TwinSonic that have slightly sloped sides.
The lenses are higher than on the TwinSonic.
Independent rotators in black plastic that rotate in the same direction in comparation to the TwinSonic that has synchronized rotators in metal that counter rotate.
Both lightbars has similar stepped mirrors that make them look similar in flash effect except that the Condor is independant and do not have the inboard to outboard flash effect because of the rotation in the same direction.
All this was probably because of the Federal patent of the TwinSonic.
Sireno could most probably change the polarity of the motor to have the lightbar counter rotate at a later date when the TwinSonic patent had run out.
I have never seen that but I have a four sealed beam Sireno beacon that have insulators on the motor so the polarity is changed on the motor that makes the light rotate in the opposit direction than original.
It looks factory installed and not home made so I think it might have been a possibility from Sireno if ordered.

Michael

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Doyle's old engine looks like a FS model 16 beacon. A tow company in the 70s had the Sireno Condor with front cascade mirrors and rear PAR 46 alternating sealed beams with Amber domes. Very bright

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Independent rotators in black plastic that rotate in the same direction in comparation to the TwinSonic that has synchronized rotators in metal that counter rotate.

The one thing that these Sireno Condors and later TwinSonics had in common was that the same Type 3 motor used in AeroDynics, JetSonics, and TwinSonics was also used with Sireno's independent rotator modules. That's about it for similarities of the two companies.

Last edited:

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Doyle's old engine looks like a FS model 16 beacon. A tow company in the 70s had the Sireno Condor with front cascade mirrors and rear PAR 46 alternating sealed beams with Amber domes. Very bright
It is a FS beacon...but along the last 40 years or so, some genius stripped the original internals out, and replaced them with a teardrop base and rotator. Still irritated by that.
Also, on the officer side, there is a Sterling Sirenlite model 30. Glass lens is cracked, in case anyone has a line on a replacement...

JFRD10925

May 15, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
We still have this in front line service. Not period correct lighting on it though.

1975 Dodge/Pierce W-300 Mini-

Pumper

What make/model are the "A" post double-side spotlights. Had these on Modulance Ambulance Corp. (Grand Prarie,TX) in '75.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
What make/model are the "A" post double-side spotlights. Had these on Modulance Ambulance Corp. (Grand Prarie,TX) in '75.

We were actually approved to replace that truck about a month after I posted that so we don't have it anymore. I'm not sure what make those spotlights were but they didn't work very well.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add on here. I took this old girl out for a spin today. 1980 Ford F700. 496cid gas, 5sp trans, 2sp rear-end. I am not good with Whelen models, but it's a Whelen strobe bar on the roof. The red/blue wig-wags on the front bumper look identical to the ones on the truck I started this thread with. (Same station.) There are a pair of par 36s in red on the back that flash simultaneously. I am gonna have to get in there and either wig-wag them or put in a second flasher so the rear can be more attention getting. Some of the wiring for the roof bar got damaged so I am gonna have to go in and fix it too. Still, while she may be old and tired, she is still in service. None of the in-service trucks I post are parade only or anything like that. They are all subject to dispatch 24/7.
Resized_20171112_095407.jpeg

Reactions: jph2 and Tony P

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I guess I should mention that, since the original thread started, I have joined this department. I am still with the other one...just doing both now.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I was just over in NJ this weekend near Netcong/Budd Lake.. one of the local VFD units still runs a 1978 GMC 6500(?) It's still Active 24/7. Apparently it had a 184 Powerlight on it until just recently and they just did an LED upgrade package to it.. so no it's not going out of service anytime soon!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.