Old NYPD electronic sirens

t-bone35

Apr 5, 2012
LI, NY
Does anyone know if these things are worth anything? If so, what a fair price would be to ask. They both work and have been sitting around for years

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Not sure what they worth, but I have a question for you. I have this exact model in the non NYPD version. Do you have any info or a schematic with them? I would like to convert mine to he NYPD style if possible.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
t-bone35 said:
I am sorry, I do not. Do you know what is different? If so, maybe we can swap inside photos and figure it out.

The NYPD versions have instant on/off with use of the manual button. Non NYPD versions are not instant on/off. A Tao of the button results in about 3-4 seconds of siren sound.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
Scientifc prototypes in ny.They are out of busness since the early90s.

they are worth about 150 a piece maybe.

NYC EMS used them thats why they dont have the nypd logo. back in the 80s

Also FD used them intheir chiefs cars. then too

they made that one also with a airhorn and phaser too which was rare.

The red pushbutton was purchased from radio shak by SP

They are still used to on some nyc ambulances that work for specific hospitals.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
AerodyMANIAC said:
They are still used to on some nyc ambulances that work for specific hospitals.

NY Presbyterian

I'm told this is the 3rd bus to have this siren. It's also a van with an air horn which is cool.

Reactions: Pro-Emergencias

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
JohnMarcson said:
NY Presbyterian

I'm told this is the 3rd bus to have this siren. It's also a van with an air horn which is cool.

Long island college hospital on atlantic av and hicks street in brooklyn has a few sp's on their rigs too

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
CHIEFOPS said:
NY-Presbyterian has been phasing them out thru attrition.

Im such a "SP Whore", I even visited their factory in maspeth off metropolitan av, ithink back in 99 or so. They had a nice little operation and they were really accomodating to give me the tour. I even bought one when I was there. I think i paid 80-90 or something It was a refurb model if i recall. Dont quote me but it was a long time ago. I do remember it was the one with the airhorn on it. I used it for my collection but sold it. Then a friend of mine from BRAVO Vol Ambulance back in the early 90s gave me his NYPD model with the logo on it. He didnt know what he had.Back then everyone wanted the SVP with the phaser , it was the thing .Again that was back in the early 90s to mid wheneverone had a buffed out ex police auction car with pa 300s, lollipop grilles, dashlasers and limo tints LOLOLOL Alot of those buffed out cars were Bravo members that were EMS city workers. Those days are long gone ..old skool

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
AerodyMANIAC said:
Im such a "SP Whore", I even visited their factory in maspeth off metropolitan av, ithink back in 99 or so. They had a nice little operation and they were really accomodating to give me the tour. I even bought one when I was there. I think i paid 80-90 or something It was a refurb model if i recall. Dont quote me but it was a long time ago. I do remember it was the one with the airhorn on it. I used it for my collection but sold it. Then a friend of mine from BRAVO Vol Ambulance back in the early 90s gave me his NYPD model with the logo on it. He didnt know what he had.Back then everyone wanted the SVP with the phaser , it was the thing .Again that was back in the early 90s to mid wheneverone had a buffed out ex police auction car with pa 300s, lollipop grilles, dashlasers and limo tints LOLOLOL Alot of those buffed out cars were Bravo members that were EMS city workers. Those days are long gone ..old skool

That's where they "died"(the NYPD killed them), for years prior they were in Harlem on W 130 or 131 off Broadway, whenever my command had a defective siren, I'd bring it directly there for repair or exchange rather than officially put it out of service to Motor Transport/Electronic Section, they were very accomodating.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Is there anyone that services these still? I have one sitting in my collection that looks great, but makes some interesting tones that I'm sure the original designer didn't intend for it to make. I would like to get it back to original condition if possible.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
CHIEFOPS said:
That's where they "died"(the NYPD killed them), for years prior they were in Harlem on W 130 or 131 off Broadway, whenever my command had a defective siren, I'd bring it directly there for repair or exchange rather than officially put it out of service to Motor Transport/Electronic Section, they were very accomodating.

Yes they were pretty cool SP folks there. But i wasnt too happy with e nypd pa300. Although the horn ring instant yelp was cool but not quite the thing.

And i never really like fed sig tech support , they seemed rather curt, independant and cold.

Compared to able 2 sho me tech guys...they are sweethearts

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
PC Comms said:
Is there anyone that services these still? I have one sitting in my collection that looks great, but makes some interesting tones that I'm sure the original designer didn't intend for it to make. I would like to get it back to original condition if possible.

the only thing that comes to mind is Securly Yours in Brooklyn

They used to deal with them sp's

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
WS224 said:
Not sure what they worth, but I have a question for you. I have this exact model in the non NYPD version. Do you have any info or a schematic with them? I would like to convert mine to he NYPD style if possible.

What you both have were built by Smith and Wesson. While I don't think they're still made, S/W might give you info on them. They were never high-priced commercially, and probably much lower on the package deals they gave NYC.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
crescentstar69 said:
I don't think S&W is still around to give any information. They haven't been around for years.

You're right about that. They haven't built the sirens in many years, but S&W's parent corp. is still around. They might still have info on the sirens they built. I've still want one of their Sonic Sirens (another S&W co. out of NJ). Had one on an ambulance many years ago, and it was something else, with its slow wail and deep-throated hi-lo sound. And they weren't expensive. Paid $150 new in 1986.

spddare65

May 24, 2010
Garnerville. NY
I know this conversation is old but I have some info. I have the manual for these units, and aside from the markings they are identical. One of the joys of that unit was except for the newer models being able to vary the tones, they never changed. Scientific Prototype used to make these for Signal Stat and then under their own name (SP). The company that made them is now called Itech and they are, as of a year or two ago, located at 557 So. Fulton Ave. Mount Vernon NY. They no longer make the siren, but as of about two years ago, if you bring it to them they will try to repair it.

If anyone needs the manual let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
spddare65 said:
I know this conversation is old but I have some info. I have the manual for these units, and aside from the markings they are identical. One of the joys of that unit was except for the newer models being able to vary the tones, they never changed. Scientific Prototype used to make these for Signal Stat and then under their own name (SP). The company that made them is now called Itech and they are, as of a year or two ago, located at 557 So. Fulton Ave. Mount Vernon NY. They no longer make the siren, but as of about two years ago, if you bring it to them they will try to repair it.

If you haven't seen it, there's one of the old NYPD sirens on Ebay at the moment, but the price is waaaaay too high!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Black Hoe said:
Actually that is the normal price range they go for although, that particular siren is not in the best of condition.

That's the bad thing about Ebay. People seem to think that it's a forum for legalized theft! Just like the little Federal "O" siren you see on Ebay frequently. They sold for $30 new....period! No way on earth are they worth much more than that now regardless of condition, but look what they go for on Ebay. I've seen them go for nearly $300. And there's a guy who has an old Model D industrial siren that sold for less than $100 and his starting price is $1000. Ludicrous!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Black Hoe said:
Agreed however it's all about supply and demand. Equipment that is no longer manufactured but are desirable by collectors will demand the money.

Oh....that much I understand, all right. It's just ridiculous that someone is greedy enough to want $300 for a siren that only sold for $30 (the Federal "O", for instance), whether it's been restored or not. I can understand someone like Joe Dorgan getting a good price for his sirens, since they've been totally restored and have a warranty. But even that has gotten out of sight lately. I'll repeat myself! Ludicrous! Demand or not.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Skip Goulet said:
Oh....that much I understand, all right. It's just ridiculous that someone is greedy enough to want $300 for a siren that only sold for $30 (the Federal "O", for instance), whether it's been restored or not. I can understand someone like Joe Dorgan getting a good price for his sirens, since they've been totally restored and have a warranty. But even that has gotten out of sight lately. I'll repeat myself! Ludicrous! Demand or not.

So you won't be paying $17.59 for a Twinkie?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
AerodyMANIAC said:

NYC EMS used them thats why they dont have the nypd logo. back in the 80s

Also FD used them in their chiefs cars then too....

Not exactly. The NYPD logo and "property of..." marking on the rear appeared in the last few years of production. Prior to that they just bore SP, and before that, Signal-Stat.

To put it another way, the upper model was 99% just as likely to be an NYPD model.

Last edited by a moderator:

limotrip

May 1, 2013
Long Island, NY
spddare65 said:

Hi, I'd LOVE that emailed to me!!

Limotrip@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The SP Mark VII yelp tone sounds okay, but the wail tone sounds kind of funny.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The Signal-Stat/Scientific Prototype Mark 7/Vll wail and yelp tones were iconic NYC sounds for 12 or 13 years

RadioTech

May 22, 2010
NY
I have a few of these. All of the sp models can be modified from 3sec hold to (nypd) momentary yelp by cutting a small Mylar cap.

Itech was located in mount Vernon NY up to a few years ago before they closed up shop. The owners name was Joe.

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Skip Goulet said:
No....but I might pay $17.50 for a Ding-Dong! They're gone, too! :p

That's what she said.

RadioTech

May 22, 2010
NY
The NYPD logo mark7 is about as rare as a pink unicorn. I sent one back to Itech several years ago for repair never to be seen again.

HPD84 said:
I may be interested in one that says "NYPD". Any link or leads?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.