Old School Park Kill

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Howdy, folks.

I am installing a 58" MX7000 on a 1997 F-250. I'd like to wire up a park kill circuit so the clear flashing lights cut out when the truck is in park.

I don't have an issue wiring up a relay but I don't know what to use for the trigger. How was this done in the 90's?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
There might be a park signal in the steering column, otherwise there might be something on the transmission. Maybe you could tap the neutral safety switch?

Reactions: Dave F

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
That's a good thought, but I wasn't sure which wire to tap into on the transmission. I looked at E4OD wiring schematics and there doesn't seem to be a "neutral" wire. Good call on the column, I will need to poke around in there. The system must have a way of "knowing" that the truck is in neutral...?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
That's a good thought, but I wasn't sure which wire to tap into on the transmission. I looked at E4OD wiring schematics and there doesn't seem to be a "neutral" wire. Good call on the column, I will need to poke around in there. The system must have a way of "knowing" that the truck is in neutral...?

Somewhere it has to know, otherwise you would be able to start it in gear. Im assuming that it is an automatic? I haven’t had to find it on that old of a model, so I can’t say for sure where. It’s possible that its all data, but I bet that there is a signal somewhere. Ill look into some wiring schematics if I get time later today to see if I can find it.

Edit: I think the neutral safety switch is on the transmission on those trucks. You could probably grab the signal down there, or try to trace the wire into the cab.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Yes, it is an automatic. The neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmission but the wiring schematic doesn’t explicitly show a “neutral” wire. I have access to all of the schematics and I think the best option is just start testing wires to see what I can tap into. I’ll also look into the mercury switch.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Yes, it is an automatic. The neutral safety switch is on the side of the transmission but the wiring schematic doesn’t explicitly show a “neutral” wire. I have access to all of the schematics and I think the best option is just start testing wires to see what I can tap into. I’ll also look into the mercury switch.
That’s probably where I would start. Id use a volt meter and just start testing wires in park and drive. Be sure to check it both for 12v+ and -.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.