Older Chevy Suburban Build

VILLAGE IDIOT

Jan 2, 2011
MASS USA
Its a 1999. I have a bunch of goodies I removed from my previous truck. Here is what I plan on doing so far.

Liberty 50" or 51" (can't remember exactly) Lightbar.
I have a few Feniex cannon 360's laying around I'll put in tail lights, marker lights etc.
Maybe Taillight flasher.
Maybe Headlight flasher.
Feniex 4200 system running everything.

Questions:
Has anyone done a lightbar install on the luggage rack on one of these vehicles?
Are the high beams ground side? (Would determine which flasher to use).
Also, I would like to do something with the 3rd brake light on the rear of the roof. Any ideas on that?

Would like to see your builds!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Sounds like a good start. I'd leave the 3rd brake light be. Not much room in the housing. Not to mention they are plastic and will melt pretty easy if any heads you put in get hot. If you are doing a TLF then it should flash along with the other tails.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I had an old 99 suburban that I had lights in. 8 strobes running off a whelen isp188. 2 in each taillight flashing one side and then the other (really effective) and 4 strobes in the headlights... think the movie US Marshalls... just like their Surburban. Worked great. Plenty of options with that truck. I'd try to stay relatively period correct if possible. Maybe do a mini Liberty on the back end of the surburban like some NYPD Riggs?

Looking forward to what you do with it.

PS: Also was about to put a train horn on the beast:)

VILLAGE IDIOT

Jan 2, 2011
MASS USA
Thanks shues. That helps a lot.

C17LVFD, thank you also. Not sure about the HAW strobes though. Just so many cables to deal with. Especially if I do 8 tubes.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
True lots of cables to run but was AWESOME! And on this forum it's doesn't seem to matter how many wires you have to run... it's all about the finished product:)

Good luck!!

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
As far as the 3rd. brake light that's an inspection issue and should never be messed with. Unless MA doesn't inspect it.
But I'd go with period correct lighting if that's what you're looking for.

OVERKILL

Jan 27, 2012
hamilton ontario canada
Do some haws 4 in rear 4 in front and some strobe deck lights in rear window and a dual in the windshield. Would look sweet. After all the US marshalls movie is what got me hooked on lights in the first place

Reactions: C17LVFD

VILLAGE IDIOT

Jan 2, 2011
MASS USA
As far as the 3rd. brake light that's an inspection issue and should never be messed with. Unless MA doesn't inspect it.
But I'd go with period correct lighting if that's what you're looking for.

I was thinking of some sort of dual mode brake/warning light assembly that would look good in place of the OEM.

VILLAGE IDIOT

Jan 2, 2011
MASS USA
Some good ideas. I think I will have watch the movie US Marshals again for the added inspiration. Maybe I'll do the strobes. I have a Whelen 8 outlet power supply laying around and several tubes.

Reactions: C17LVFD

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I was thinking of some sort of dual mode brake/warning light assembly that would look good in place of the OEM.
Has I said check with local and state laws regarding that third brake light.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Personally, I'd like to see more era-appropriate lighting on that 'burban:

Edge strobe bar or MX7K with fast rotators
HLF
2 HAWs up front, 4 HAWs rear
And there's plenty of MX's out there cheap.

VILLAGE IDIOT

Jan 2, 2011
MASS USA
Nice. Thank you. But it looks like I'm not gonna be doing the build after all. Probably gonna sell it. I'm looking to get a Chevy Tahoe PPV. So I will start looking at install ideas for those vehicles.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfgl17

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.