Opticom Strobe

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Updating the lighting on our donated engine. its a 82 Pierce. Has the old silver square box opticom strobe on the roof. Inside the cab has 2 switches for it, theres 3 style patterns. Question is this. Im putting a new lightbar on and since we dont use the opticom (we dont have the system in our city) its probally going to come off. What are these worth? I know someone out there with a 70s-80s truck would want this.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Depends, is this the totally "self contained in the silver box" less the switches type, or the "thirty parts and cables" type? :p

Whats the overall condition of the strobe tube, and uh.. condition?

Also, brand, model, etc... Photos would help too.

Oh, and 3 style patterns? Can you list them off? I only know of two "pre-emption" patterns.

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
yup thats the one. it has 2 of those control boxes, stracked on top of each other.

was going to pull it off but the higher ups decided its staying on engine.

dmitry103

Jun 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
thefiredogg said:
yup thats the one. it has 2 of those control boxes, stracked on top of each other.

was going to pull it off but the higher ups decided its staying on engine.

Snap a couple of shots of the engine and the unit installed. Must be a piece of history.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I saw the demonstration when these were acquired by the City of Knoxville around 1975.

There can be multiple levels of preemption:

Turn light green in direction of travel,

Lock-up all intersection lights red;

hold a stale green longer (keeps light from changing, useful for passenger buses and aerial apparatus)

determine priorities for type (weight and size) of apparatus

Also, most of these lights were filled with a fluid to dissipate heat. I don't think it was just water, and fluid that would be necessary to protect the light and strobe.

dmitry103

Jun 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
tnems7 said:
Also, most of these lights were filled with a fluid to dissipate heat. I don't think it was just water, and fluid that would be necessary to protect the light and strobe.

It was the first emitter made by 3M, Opticom model 172 ( below ). If anyone has this unit, please contact me.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_Opticom172.jpg

These were later replaced by Model 192, which is basically the circuit board, strobe, shiny reflector and aluminum casing; no fluid.

MHPD2215

May 23, 2010
Minnesota

Any idea what year the Model 192 came out? I am looking for an era-correct opticom for my 76' squad car.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Anybody have an idea on how bright these are supposed to be? My department just got an 85 Pierce Arrow with a 3M opticom like above, but it isnt bright at all. Just wondering if this is right or if something is wrong with it.

Thanks,

Dan

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Strobe tube is probably past its life cycle. Take a look at the actual bulb for black/white hazing near the ends/ along the tube, and or other defects.

They normally are bright as Snot.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Sorry to drag up an old post but I have a question. I found someone with a strobe bulb for my departments opticom, but it doesn't have the liquid in it. Can I use one that does not have liquid in an opticom that originally had liquid in the bulb?

Dan

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
SBFD-E-9 said:
Anybody have an idea on how bright these are supposed to be? My department just got an 85 Pierce Arrow with a 3M opticom like above, but it isnt bright at all. Just wondering if this is right or if something is wrong with it.

Thanks,

Dan
I've been using a portable - hand held Opticom, and it's not very bright at all, like typical strobe lights, but it sure gets the job done.

Dan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.