JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Last edited by a moderator:

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Very nice John, I love wobbly and tilted stuff.

I took the guts from a Code 3 oscillazer, and mounted them in a Code 3 #550 beacon for my dash light on my Dakota. It looks great... Old school small round beacon with an oscillator inside.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Great vids John, I love these types of lights... That's why I put a C3 Ocilaser in a Whelen Reaponder DXII. LoL I'd love to get a blue Pierce Alert for my 9622 Edge on my Avalanche...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Oscillating lights definitely have their place in the emergency beacon world.

Reactions: Doug

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I really like the piercealerts... it's too bad they have such a high failure rate. The wires for the bulbs run up trough the reflector and twist back and forth with each oscillation. The often snapped after a year or so.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
JohnMarcson said:
I really like the piercealerts... it's too bad they have such a high failure rate. The wires for the bulbs run up trough the reflector and twist back and forth with each oscillation. The often snapped after a year or so.

Yeah... I'm waiting for the one we have on our little rescue to crap out... It's still running strong though...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
They are a bitch to change bulbs on too... but I still like em...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'd love to get a clear dome for the oscillating whelen commander... it oscillates a lot further than the 174, It oscillates like 180 degrees! I could do red, amber, blue clear bulbs and make it so the clear only showed front and side, and the amber shows rear and side. That would be very cool.

Pimp you know the fact that this setup is even possible pretty much requires you to give me you clear commander dome.:mrgreen:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
LP6000 said:
Can't wait to get my FREE XL9000 with Stinger on my F150. Never saw an oscillating Sentry...is that basically a StreetHawk oscillator in a Sentry housing?

It's a sentry rotator with an arm and an additional gear... pretty much it's own thing

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have been trying to buy a halogen piercer II for some time now, but it seems when I say that people think I mean piercealert...... so I put together a post detailing the Piercer, Piercer II, Pierce-alert and Halogen Piercer II

Piercer
A larger single clear strobe powered by a rapid rate supply.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_piercer.jpg

Piercer II (strobe)

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec5.jpg

The Never Pictured Piercer II Advantedge Option

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piecadv.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_AdvantaEdgemiddle.jpg

Piercer II Halogen

Identical to strobe piercer II but 4x3 halogen double flash bulbs are substituted for strobes. These were seen on Ohio State Highway Patrol edges and were a special order. This is not the same thing as the halogen piercealert.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Edge_9308_OH_1.jpg

Piercealert (note the second video is mislabeled, not mine)

Theses were available with the windows in any color as well as the housing (including special order black for the housing). The early ones had no mirror, the later ones had a mini-mirror and reflective top coverings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-UpeO5sYc

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_whelen002.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec2.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec3a.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec3.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec4a.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec4.jpg

1066d1283837393-how-rare-whelen-option-0906002224.jpg

1065d1283837351-how-rare-whelen-option-0906002223.jpg

Both piercer IIs and piercealerts

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec1.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_IMG_0010.jpg

I need to install these on a flush mount edge bar like this with just corner strobes and these....

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec6.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_piec7.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
How did I know that a thread like this was coming...? LoL Again, I'm sorry for using the wrong term in the chat the other day... lol

On a serious not, great thread! Its cool to see the progression of this add-on... I personally LOVE these, in all their variations...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
TritonBoulder47 said:
How did I know that a thread like this was coming...? LoL Again, I'm sorry for using the wrong term in the chat the other day... lol

On a serious not, great thread! Its cool to see the progression of this add-on... I personally LOVE these, in all their variations...

That rant was following a 3 hour lead looking for a halogen OSHP piercealert only to find it was a piercealert....... so there were other factors involved there.... :hopeless:

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Didn't all the Ohio bars have the halogen Piercers in them????? I would think they were easy to find....maybe not without the rest of the bar though lol

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
emtanderson51 said:
Didn't all the Ohio bars have the halogen Piercers in them????? I would think they were easy to find....maybe not without the rest of the bar though lol

That's what I thought..... I was hoping to find someone with an OSHP bar with no controller that wanted to part it out.

Here is the part

02-0361931-00

Halogen Piercer 2 Assembly

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
While we are putting to bed some commonly misnamed items, let's do the stinger and stingray

Code 3 Stinger

Par36 sealed beam with 2 motors. One motor moves the light up and down, the other side to side. These were an option in SD and XL bars and as a standalone flush mount with square or round mounting ring.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_86_1_b.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_3b_1.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_NOSInventory020.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_cfd1.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_0b_3.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_12_3.jpg

Oscilaser

A traffic clearing light that moves a reflector and bulb vertically and horizontally. Was available in almost every halogen and strobe bar and as a stand alone unit.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.fentonfire.com/images/library/full/3721_A1046 (1).jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_elightbars_DSCN0687.jpg

Lightbars :: Osilazers video by EL1998P71 - Photobucket

Reactions: Windycity411

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Code 3 did not recommend the StingRay for the MX7000, although they would add them if you really wanted them. IIRC the MX was technically maxed out at 650 Watts total and if you added a Stingray to a loaded MX bar it would cause them to malfunction, according to them. I always wanted a MX with 2 Std rotors, 2 Fast Rotors, 3 StingRays, Intersection Lights, Alley Lights, Take Downs, and Front and Rear flashers. Never got around to it. Might make a cool project bar sometime. I sold a lot of LP 6000's with StingRays back in the day.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Back in the early 1990's Richardson Tx. Police had some heavy loaded MX7000's. The bars had 4 takedowns in the lower level, and 2 bullseye take downs in the center section, arrow, stinger to the rear in center section, and for unknown reasons both out board rotators were stingrays, that were positioned at an angle for slow sweep. When activated for rear lighting only, the rear stinger (amber) and the outer stngrays were on. The stingrays would sweep all the way to the side of the vehicle, then to come back straight out to the rear.

Plano Tx. PD ran LP6000's. With slow outer, stingray pursuit front-slow rear with cylinder filters, lp reflector td, empty speaker cover. They were set up with a v-con, 1-rear stingrays and deck par 36. 2- 4 full rotators,deck lights, 3- outer rotators, stingrays in pursuit with HLF.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
HILO said:
Back in the early 1990's Richardson Tx. Police had some heavy loaded MX7000's. The bars had .... stinger to the rear in center section.....

?? in an MX ??

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Great thread...

Didn't know you could get a Stinger in the MX. My dad's last squad car had an MX with a regular Oscillator in the center section though.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
It might have been an oscillator. Was a long time ago.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
HILO said:
It might have been an oscillator. Was a long time ago.

You mean oscilaser? That was a rear MX option.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
JohnMarcson said:
That's what I thought..... I was hoping to find someone with an OSHP bar with no controller that wanted to part it out.

Here is the part

02-0361931-00

Halogen Piercer 2 Assembly

I sold my Edge 9308 with (not-matching) PCDS-9 to rlsllc in December. I purchased it from a seller in Ohio last spring. It had a halogen Piercer II in it. Perhaps he's grown tired of trying to fix the strobes arcing at the diagnostics board and parted it out.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
JohnMarcson said:
You mean oscilaser? That was a rear MX option.

MX did have an option for stingrays from the factory. They usually went in-between the outer rotator and the inner rotator to replace the mirror. Also they did at one time have a sweep light for the upper sections that had the same sweep as a pursuit module, but went in the upper section.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jdh said:
MX did have an option for stingrays from the factory. They usually went in-between the outer rotator and the inner rotator to replace the mirror. Also they did at one time have a sweep light for the upper sections that had the same sweep as a pursuit module, but went in the upper section.

:duh: Go jeeze.... read the thread. That was already discussed. We all know that you can put sting rays in an MX it says that in the OP and it is discussed specifically as well in a reply. Since he already said there were stingrays in the bar I assume he knows what those are. He specifically called it a stinger or an oscillator.... from that I gather he means oscilaser. Which sounds like oscillator but functions closer to a stinger.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
JohnMarcson said:
:duh: Go jeeze.... read the thread. That was already discussed. We all know that you can put sting rays in an MX it says that in the OP and it is discussed specifically as well in a reply. Since he already said there were stingrays in the bar I assume he knows what those are. He specifically called it a stinger or an oscillator.... from that I gather he means oscilaser. Which sounds like oscillator but functions closer to a stinger.

Well dammit.

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
My first lightbar I ever actually "ran" on my '96 exploder was an Lp6000.. Rotor/stingray/fast rotor/stingray/fast rotor/stingray/rotor. I had it set up with outer domes blue with dual bullet cutouts for the alleys and takedowns and rear bullets in amber for the outer rays. The center was clear with a blue half filter in the rear.

Slide 1: rear amber sweep

Slide 2: everything in rotor mode

Slide 3: rotors on and stingerays facing forward with HFL on

Switch 1: center ray would revert to rear sweep for when I needed a lil blue to the rear

Switch 2: takedowns

Switch 3: Left Alley

Switch 4: Right alley

Loved that bar. Wish I would have never parted with it now. I may have to do a project bar with all clear lenses now that I think about it. :)

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
On our BLS rig, we had an all red Edge bar with a clear Pierce-Alert in the middle. Very basic bar. I'm thinking jusr 4 corner strobes. When we took it on transfers to a larger area, if the alert was on, it would trip the opticom system. Took me a couple runs to figure out why the system kept tripping.

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
shues said:
I sold my Edge 9308 with (not-matching) PCDS-9 to rlsllc in December. I purchased it from a seller in Ohio last spring. It had a halogen Piercer II in it. Perhaps he's grown tired of trying to fix the strobes arcing at the diagnostics board and parted it out.

@ Shues:

IMG_8998800x600.jpg

The Piercer II is on my 9438 Edge, I did gut the 9308 and I am in the process of rebuilding it as a high current bar. I'll get a vid of it when it is done, you'll LOL.

@John:

Just wondering if the strobe version has the studs in the housing to mount the halogen lights...I replaced the lamps in my Piercer II with the nice alley lights from the 9438; and used 400 series housings in 9M endcaps in their place.

Just a thought, although I know a Pierce Alert does not have the studs in it, I have not had a strobe Piercer apart (yet).

I have always liked the Piercers and Pierce Alerts; I so hope you build a bar with several of them on it. It would be the Aurora Borealis of Edge bars, well with the Pierce Alerts anyway. It would be pure awesomeness.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rlsllc said:
@ Shues:

View attachment 25395

The Piercer II is on my 9438 Edge, I did gut the 9308 and I am in the process of rebuilding it as a high current bar. I'll get a vid of it when it is done, you'll LOL.

@John:

Just wondering if the strobe version has the studs in the housing to mount the halogen lights...I replaced the lamps in my Piercer II with the nice alley lights from the 9438; and used 400 series housings in 9M endcaps in their place.

Just a thought, although I know a Pierce Alert does not have the studs in it, I have not had a strobe Piercer apart (yet).

I have always liked the Piercers and Pierce Alerts; I so hope you build a bar with several of them on it. It would be the Aurora Borealis of Edge bars, well with the Pierce Alerts anyway. It would be pure awesomeness.

This is how they look...

DSCF2103.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
To confuse the issue more.... there were actually 4 oscillating style option in the XL series.... the "sweeps" out of the first generation code 3 flush mount bars were also available.

xl5000options.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rlsllc said:

It's in the works.... Only thing I haven't figured out is what to put at the corners.....

edgebor.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
lotsofbars said:
Red strobes maybe?

That was my first thought. I had also considered spreading the items out more and doing only the piercers and pierce-alerts with blacked out end caps. I had also though of doing clear strobes on a rapid rate high watt supply and make it a "traffic clearing bar". I also have the ability to make it a "wrap around" bar by adding some edgecap strobes.... the problem there is the bar is somewhat short to be a wrap around.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
JohnMarcson said:
That was my first thought. I had also considered spreading the items out more and doing only the piercers and pierce-alerts with blacked out end caps. I had also though of doing clear strobes on a rapid rate high watt supply and make it a "traffic clearing bar". I also have the ability to make it a "wrap around" bar by adding some edgecap strobes.... the problem there is the bar is somewhat short to be a wrap around.

I'm thinking all the clear strobes would mute the Pierce-Alerts. Adding something colored on the ends would be the way to go, in my opinion. And maybe some color elsewhere, too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.