Our new hand me down charger for our volunteer unit

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
This is our newest addition to our program. One of our volunteers owns a decal shop and volunteered his time to fix it up for us.

uploadfromtaptalk1418361814521.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
We assist our PD by providing community patrol and calling in suspicious activities. We provide traffic at accident scenes. Assist motorists, assist our officers when requested. A good example is if they are arresting someone we will wait for the wrecker. We work community events and assist in the office with various admin duties. We are like an auxiliary.

We will also respond to ems and fire assists for manpower and traffic. We can also be assigned last occurred non criminal complaints to free our officers up for other calls.

Reactions: tsquale

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Citizens On Patrol

what does A C T I V E stand for?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I remember back in the 1970s, Worcester, MA had a federal grant for a Police Service Aid  (PSA) program. They did all of the above and took non-criminal complaints, accident reports etc. They were heavily used to free up sworn officers. They drove white mid sized cars, marked as Worcester Police Department PSAs, and had single blue ROTA-BEAM Model 44s on the roof, with no siren that I can recall.

They were in service for a number of years, but when the grant ran out, they went away.

Note that these were paid men and women, not volunteers.

Below is an article:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=48131

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Resized_420981_FrontQuarter.jpg.png

We have several area departments that do this. Citizen volunteers go through a basic academy, do ride alongs, and then assist officers waiting for tows, directing traffic, and other non-enforcement functions to free up officers. They have amber and red lights but no sirens, and are unarmed. I think it is a good program. Definitely not React or whackers.

Reactions: Hoff and Storm82

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
attachicon.gif
Resized_420981_FrontQuarter.jpg.png

We have several area departments that do this. Citizen volunteers go through a basic academy, do ride alongs, and then assist officers waiting for tows, directing traffic, and other non-enforcement functions to free up officers. They have amber and red lights but no sirens, and are unarmed. I think it is a good program. Definitely not React or whackers.
I was just about to post a reference to Beavercreek Citizens On Preventive Patrol, when I saw that picture, lol.

I can't seem to locate a picture of their vehicles, but Huber Heights has their Citizen Patrol division, also.

Reactions: crescentstar69
Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I was just about to post a reference to Beavercreek Citizens On Preventive Patrol, when I saw that picture, lol.

I can't seem to locate a picture of their vehicles, but Huber Heights has their Citizen Patrol division, also.

Beavercreek used to use their old patrol cars for the volunteers, but they have at least one brand new Ford Interceptor utility done up in the maroon and white. Looks sharp. Looks like they are taking their program to the next level.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Does Yellow Springs have a patrol like this?

Reactions: crescentstar69

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.