Over the top?!?!?!?!?

JMcManus

Jul 25, 2012
New York
This suburban belongs to the Fire District directly north of my department. IMHO its a beautiful chiefs vehicle just WAY too over the top....

You tell me...

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
the front is ok but not a fan of the back at all just to busy and come night time it must look like a big blur

also the lights in the rear when the hatch is open i dont like that prob gona blind the chif working out the back.i would rather do the lights on bottom edge of the hatch

it does seem clean over all install though

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
1:35 to get to the actual videos.

Yep, overkill. The D4's in the cargo area are pretty excessive as is everything else going on in the rear of the vehicle.

JMcManus

Jul 25, 2012
New York
carguy411 said:
the front is ok but not a fan of the back at all just to busy and come night time it must look like a big blur
also the lights in the rear when the hatch is open i dont like that prob gona blind the chif working out the back.i would rather do the lights on bottom edge of the hatch

it does seem clean over all install though

I can think of a couple instances where we pulled up behind that unit on the interstate running mutual aid, and it is really just a giant ora of reaaalllllllly bright light. Ill try to get some more pics of the interior, but this is one of the cleanest installs I have ever seen. Specialty Warning Systems in Danbury, CT has been doing some of the best work around for as long as I can remember. Check out their youtube page; SpecWarn1...hundreds more vehicles that are just as well put together as this one, minus a few lightheads here and there.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
#1 After 45 seconds I was ready to move on to something else.

#2 Someone needs to stop letting their kid make their company video productions.

#3 The thing I hate about LED's is that their size and built in flashers allow people to put them EVERYWHERE.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I liked the pictures of space.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Everytime I see a vehicle that is done by specialty warning it looks like this vehicle...lights everywhere. There are too many issues to list with the lighting on this suburban.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
theroofable said:
Its really lacking warning to the rear. They should have put another pair of m4s back there.

I was thinking a couple more Dominators, mounted to all four of the outer Edges.

Preferably all 8 head Dominators. And why does this truck not have HG2 runners? Obviously it needs them for intersection warning. :yes:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The 'over the top' thing I noticed first were the four mics hanging from the console.

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
You have to be over 40 to get this but I was waiting for a Bee Gees song and John Travolta to start dancing on top of the thing

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
bunnyfurr said:
You have to be over 40 to get this but I was waiting for a Bee Gees song and John Travolta to start dancing on top of the thing

lmao! Sad, but yes I got that, showing my age I guess...

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I get the whole wanting to been seen and then there is this. That is a major traffic hazard and I would refuse to drive something so dangerous.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
MEVS06 said:
I get the whole wanting to been seen and then there is this. That is a major traffic hazard and I would refuse to drive something so dangerous.

If i had it my way at my Agency i would be driving in a patrol unit with a Jetsonic rotator bar or Exaclibur halogen strobe led combo mix...

Until then i will still have my dreams at night :(

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I've always had an issue with Specialty Warning Systems videos, they have way to much in the beginning before even getting to the car, but that's a separate issue. As far as the car, take out one of the Dominators and the Lin6s from the grill, lose the Dominators on the sides or at least make them two head instead of 4, and change up the rear light package almost completely.

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Already being discussed: http://elightbars.org/forums/f35/fire-department-chief-suburban-2011-outer-edge-outer-edge-pillar-17842/

JMcManus said:
This suburban belongs to the Fire District directly north of my department. IMHO its a beautiful chiefs vehicle just WAY too over the top....

I'm guessing your either with Golden's Bridge or South Salem? Im from a little more down county. As for car, I love it but yeah... a tad to much lights. Could have spec'd out 2 cars with the ammount of lights in that one. However, I'm more intrested in seeing their "new" ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
If you have to ask, it's too much.

JMcManus

Jul 25, 2012
New York
firedude said:
Already being discussed: http://elightbars.org/forums/f35/fire-department-chief-suburban-2011-outer-edge-outer-edge-pillar-17842/

I'm guessing your either with Golden's Bridge or South Salem? Im from a little more down county. As for car, I love it but yeah... a tad to much lights. Could have spec'd out 2 cars with the ammount of lights in that one. However, I'm more intrested in seeing their "new" ladder.

You got it...Goldens Bridge. I am excited to see the new Ladder 67 as well, im not sure what they did with this piece but I know Croton Falls has their apparatus built by Gowans-Knight, who in my opinion does some awesome work. Not sure if GK got the contract to do the refurb, however I did hear Ladder 67 sign on this weekend. Just a little something to add to the rumor mill... South Salem is in the process of bidding/spec-ing an brand new ladder as well.... definitely no ladder in sight for GBFD, However check out our new chiefs car:

2012 Ford Police Interceptor

Outfitted by Cruisers Division

21411.jpg

21412.jpg

21413.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
beautiful truck, but over the top and i think they should've used red for the intersectors, rather than bending the rules with the blue there

graphics looks superb, and if they got rid of the linz6's and 1 of the dominators up front. and got rid of the dominator on the rear headliner and the D-post outer edge (along with all that blinding white in the rear), then i'd put it on my all-time top 5 list.

i'm not sure why some people tasked with spec-ing vehicles feel the need to have the rear of a lightbar, an interior rear warning bar, and an exterior rear warning bar all on the same vehicle; it just looks like a big blur!...i think depopulating the rear of the freedom and just having the outer edge would've been more than effective. and whoever had the idea of wasting $800+ on the 2 dominators on the sides of the command board should be shot...what a f'in waste

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I've never had a seizure, but that lighting arrangement might be what gives me one! Holy whacktastic display! :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm guessing the lighting package was nearly as much as the truck cost delivered. Glad I don't pay property taxes in that jurisdiction.

Jon

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
NFD-102 said:
Everytime I see a vehicle that is done by specialty warning it looks like this vehicle...lights everywhere. There are too many issues to list with the lighting on this suburban.

I seem to remember a crown vic at one time with a lot of lights at one time :razz:

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
efdny2003 said:
I've always had an issue with Specialty Warning Systems videos, they have way to much in the beginning before even getting to the car, but that's a separate issue. As far as the car, take out one of the Dominators and the Lin6s from the grill, lose the Dominators on the sides or at least make them two head instead of 4, and change up the rear light package almost completely.

I know the owner of Specialty - good guy, retired paid fire guy.

Customer service is about giving a customer what they ask for. Recommendations can only go so far, sometimes customers want what they want.

We have had two vehicles done by Specialty Warning and it’s not over the top at all. It’s all about what the customer wants.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
holy

hell

I mean seriously? And they dont see a problem with this?? Save some of the money they spent on lights for the lawsuits stemming from people going into seizures after encountering it on the road. Good lord..... :bonk: :duh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.