PA-15 F1DS Manual needed

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
OK as the title says, I'm in need of a manual for the PA15 F1DS siren.

I've already been on the Federal Signal site and have downloaded the PA15A manual but it is not the correct one and they don't have the F1DS info I need. I'm trying to repair one I got and I have an idea as to what is bad in it but I just want to be sure it's not something more that will blow any new parts I install.

If you have one, please let me know.

Thanks

D

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The PA15 and PA15A are completely different sirens.

The early PA15A (series 1A-1D) and the late model PA15A (series 1E) are also completely different sirens.

Federal has only the PA15A series 1E manual on their web site.

Federal should have the PA15 series F1DS manual, but it's probably buried deep within their library/archives and they'd have to dig for it.

I have the PA20 E1DS manual. The PA15 and PA20 are basically the same siren except that the PA20 has a microphone preamp bias switch on the circuit board (the little black slider switch).

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Yea I looked through all of them, on the Fed Sig site, but none of them are even close.

I was hoping someone here had a set laying around that they could email me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Well after talking to Fed Sig yesterday they sent me a copy to my inbox. The copy that I got is actually the PA15 F1E and it looks to be correct and nothing like the PA15A F1E. The part numbers are old and bad but at least I've got a starting point.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
In case anyone wants to look at it, I have attached a copy. If John or any of the Mods want to add this to the archives just let me know...

PA15 FIE.PDF[/attachment:52uwmfkm]

PA15 FIE.PDF

Attachments

• PA15 FIE.PDF
    301 bytes · Views: 69

Jasonc

May 29, 2010
obx nc
Wailer said:
Federal should have the PA15 series F1DS manual, but it's probably buried deep within their library/archives and they'd have to dig for it.

Unfortunately, Federal threw away most of their documents and other related manuals/etc when they moved to their Oak Brook, IL location. They saved very little.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Shadow-D said:
Well after talking to Fed Sig yesterday they sent me a copy to my inbox. The copy that I got is actually the PA15 F1E and it looks to be correct and nothing like the PA15A F1E. The part numbers are old and bad but at least I've got a starting point.

I have a PA20 series E1C which is about the same era as your PA15, and it looks like it has been repaired a few times. Some of the capacitors are newer Asian made components with slightly different values, but they do not seem to affect the sound quality of the wail and yelp tones. My PA20 still has that deep low-pitched wail and yelp that is characteristic of 1960s Federal electronic sirens. :D

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
While we are on the subject of siren manuals, I have a Model PA-20A series 2D-D dated 8/67 and a Sireno Projector model SFD3/4 (75/125 watt) (pushbuttons) manual dated 4/66 if anybody needs a copy.

fp.png

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Henry455 said:
While we are on the subject of siren manuals, I have a Model PA-20A series 2D-D dated 8/67 and a Sireno Projector model SFD3/4 (75/125 watt) (pushbuttons) manual dated 4/66 if anybody needs a copy.

The PA20A was introduced in 1967.

Series 2A-2B c. 1967

Series 2C c. 1968

Series 2D c. 1969

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Wailer, you may be correct on the PA-20A series D but I have the original 2D manual with the chassis layout sheet and at the bottom it says, "Rev. A 8-23-67"

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Henry455 said:
Wailer, you may be correct on the PA-20A series D but I have the original 2D manual with the chassis layout sheet and at the bottom it says, "Rev. A 8-23-67"

The "Rev. A 8-23-67" is for the bottom part of the siren only (output and transformer section), not the circuit board. The bottom part is the same for 2B, 2C, and 2D.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Ok I guess I must have missed the above..

I also see that there are pictures that I need to remove from my OP because they have nothing to do with the siren in question :confused:

The problem with the siren is that it emits a steady tone in all positions except for PA and Radio. The manual says it's a bad transistor Q8 and I have been able to locate a new 2N3702 to replace it but the problem is still the same. I also replaced Q9 with the same transistor.

Before you ask, yes I did check to be sure the pins were going in the correct spots on the board, according to the schematics I have.

sirentech; could you scan the F1D-S manual and send it to me?

Thanks

D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.