Painted domes

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hi!

I have been offered to buy a Streethawk lightbar, but the owner has painted (!!!!) the domes white.... =( Now, can I remove the paint with something or are the domes just trash ??

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
What is the original color of the domes? What kind of white paint is it?

In my opinion it makes no sense to remove the paint.
SH domes are still available and if the paint has damaged the surface of the dome it is useless.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
I am not sure what paint has been used but on the picture it seems that they have have been spraypainted. Original color of the domes were blue. The seller says that when the lightbar flashes it shines thru the White paint....uuh....that must look quite strange or what??

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I had to disassemble and wet sand a pair of Aerodynic domes that were spray painted black. I was able to bring them back... it just took abit of effort.

It really depends on how much effort your willing to put into this..

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Acting on a tip, I used easy-off oven cleaner to remove paint from a pair of Grote domes. It worked beautifully. In fact, the domes were in better shape underneath the paint than the part that had been exposed for years. I'm sure the variables are the type of paint used and the material the dome is made of. And perhaps the condition of the dome prior to the application of the paint.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Personally I would shy away from any sort of solvent on a dome or lense.. your just asking for damage and crazing..

But at this point.. it might be worth trying if you have nothing to lose.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Shy away from the brake fluid and solvents as mentioned. Depending on the type of paint used (enamel, lacquer, latex) will determine which agent to utilize. Most spray cans are enamel at which point you could use either the oven cleaner which is a bit harsh but will work. Otherwise my colleague swears by a product called "Super-Clean" in a purple bottle available at any home depot or lowes. He works with plastics on a semi-regular basis and deals with paint removal, occasionally using these products...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.