Painting yellowed Liberty LED boards

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I had some LED conversions done and everything is great but had never done any of the 2011 and newer Whelen Liberty LIN6 heads (which are White boards instead of the previous Black)and when I received them they were yellowed from the conversion process. I was told that I could paint (with water based paint) them back White so they dont show thru the reflector/lens when theyre put back in the bar. I dont want them to stick out like a sore thumb and my bars are really nice and want to keep them that way. I would also like to know what types of paint would be best to use being the heads are static sensitive, to be sure nothing hurts the circuitry and that wont peel/fade, etc. I dont know why Whelen had to change to the White boards instead of keeping the black they used to be. I picked this paint yp at Walmart earlier- will it work or what should I use.... Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-19-17-21-44.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-17-21-44.png
    595.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190119_215303.jpg
    20190119_215303.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190119_215655.jpg
    20190119_215655.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I'm not a paint expert but I think you'd want to use something that can stand up to some heat. I don't think a craft acrylic paint (what you show in your pic) is the way to go. Perhaps something like an automotive touch-up paint could work (sold in small bottles at auto parts stores)? Would just want to make sure it's safe for plastics etc.

Reactions: Tony P

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
What about the Old Tried and True Testors Paint... been using them for plastic models and Car Lettering Repaints for older cars for ages...
Otherwise maybe VHT automotive paint?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.