PAR 46 DUO R/W

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Does anybody have any experience with the Whelen DUO PAR 46 heads in R/W? I'm considering replacing the factory head in my factory Unity spotlight in my PIU, specifically the P46S2* or P46S2*3 in R/W. How does the single wire operation work? Is there any advantage of the S2* or S2*3? I'd like to wire the spotlight to my controller if possible.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
If you're looking at it for warning proposes, there are a lot better ways to get it. I've found them to be terribly ineffective. You can only tell they're on if you're dead head on. Move 15 degrees one way or another and it appears to be off.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Yes, the P46S2X ... I believe the difference is if the White light or Warning light comes on first. I say the 2R is White first, and then Red (or alternating Red/White, if you choose), but you may ask elsewhere.

On the X, which is the California model and only has California patterns, Steady of course being default and the top of the list, the Red comes on first.

Just toggle the switch quickly, and the Red goes out and the White comes on. Toggle again and you are back to Red.

If you control is quick enough you could just wire the spotlight wire to get power from your control. Any break, by turning the handle switch off and on (it would be on already in that case) or by the control switch will change the color/pattern.

At night, when you can see the beam to point it, this will move traffic over faster than anything at a greater distance, undeniably. It is at driver eye level to begin with and can be sent anywhere, like big truck mirrors, cross traffic, or at traffic lane up the hill around the blind corner.

I have 9 cars (had 10 ...) with the S2X.

It is also always there, like when a fuse blows, or all you need is a signal to get the car in front of you to move without turning on the camera.

2X - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
@Bvfa23 has one on his personal truck, and loves it. I might need to make it happen on mine as well.

as for your question there is no real advantage between the 2.

Unless your power for your spotlight is drawn through your controller(Im guessing not, since its a PIU, and Most Likely a factory Install) you wont have the ability to connect to the controller. As for using a light head with separate activation wire, you probably cannot do that either, since there is not enough room for multiple wires in the spotlight shaft

Last edited:
Reactions: Bvfa23

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
To wire to the controller I would just run my own wire up through the dash to the pillar and cut and crimp to the new wire. If I dont have it on my controller I would have to flip the spotlight switch manually each time to turn it on right?

Do the white LEDs flash in sync with the red LEDs or red warning only and white spot only? I'd prefer red only which seems to indicate that I would want the P46S2* and not the P462*3.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
To wire to the controller I would just run my own wire up through the dash to the pillar and cut and crimp to the new wire. If I dont have it on my controller I would have to flip the spotlight switch manually each time to turn it on right?
Correct Spotlight switch would have to be toggled to switch between Solid and flash.

Do the white LEDs flash in sync with the red LEDs or red warning only and white spot only? I'd prefer red only which seems to indicate that I would want the P46S2* and not the P462*3.

You SHOULD have the ability to change the flash patterns

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
So I'll chime in here,

I have had both models, the P46S2R will give you white spot and then one pattern of warn either RED only or combo red white that are synced together.

The P46S2R3 is EXACTLY the same other then it give you TWO warn patterns so you can have one with white and one without

It is only single wire so you have to toggle the power to get it on it goes in this order - SPOT/warn1/warn2, exception being only one warn for the non 3.

IF you wanted to wire it into your controller you would have to make it a seperate button and turn it on off then on again quickly to get the warn pattern to display.

LMK if you have more questions

Reactions: Doyle257

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
So I'll chime in here,

I have had both models, the P46S2R will give you white spot and then one pattern of warn either RED only or combo red white that are synced together.

The P46S2R3 is EXACTLY the same other then it give you TWO warn patterns so you can have one with white and one without

It is only single wire so you have to toggle the power to get it on it goes in this order - SPOT/warn1/warn2, exception being only one warn for the non 3.

IF you wanted to wire it into your controller you would have to make it a seperate button and turn it on off then on again quickly to get the warn pattern to display.

LMK if you have more questions

Is there any model that has the warning pattern come on first and then the spot with a second flip of the spotlight handle switch?

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
According to the literature that’s a California Steady burn Red just FYI, I’ve never played with one to know if you can change the pattern or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.