Park Kill and Current Model Chargers

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
We've run into an issue with the Park Kill function of our Cencoms (Gold and Sapphire). Apparently, the output from the factory connector is not enough to trigger the park kill function. Our install tech has called Whelen and they didn't have any insight. Right now our install guy is using a very small board with some transistors to bump the output up but I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.

Any ideas?

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Will the Whelen Park Kill Module do the job? I thought he had tried it without results. IIRC, the output current is 20 miliamps - not much to work with except to trigger a relay.

We ran into the same problem with the backlight on the Cencom. I like the backlight tied to the headlight circuit and the 20 miliamps isn't enough to illuminate the back light on the Cencom.

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
theres a member here that will have your solution. I believe his username is evmodules

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
John Hearne said:
Just ordered five. I'm still annoyed that Dodge can't design anything better than their current solution.

Also, FYI, I have yet to be able to connect the Vehicle Speed Sense from our radars to any Charger - with or without the modules. MY2006-2012 and none of them have worked right. We use Kustom Golden Eagles. Not sure if other brands will work.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Andy L. said:
Also, FYI, I have yet to be able to connect the Vehicle Speed Sense from our radars to any Charger - with or without the modules. MY2006-2012 and none of them have worked right. We use Kustom Golden Eagles. Not sure if other brands will work.

The VSS seems to work OK with Stalker products but they plug into the diagnostic port. No problems with our Digital Ally 500 Plus's picking up the VSS signal either.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
John Hearne said:
The VSS seems to work OK with Stalker products but they plug into the diagnostic port. No problems with our Digital Ally 500 Plus's picking up the VSS signal either.

Good to know. On my 2011 I get some very odd speed displays to say the least. We also run ICOP cameras :explode:and the Kustom's have a hard time connecting with them....must be more of a Kustom issue than a Dodge. Looking forward to seeing some more NPS cars posted here. :thumbsup:

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
It's not just the park sense, but horn sense, etc. Dodge upfitter guide indicates these are 12v circuits, but when checked they are not. Lots of problems with these cars. I add a relay at the horns, post factory-relay, to bypass their crappy PTIM tie-in for horn ring use. I just don't bother with park-kill. The w/w & rear flash seem to work fine.

Why won't Dodge just make it work "normally?" I asked at the PFE in August but got the most useless, confusing answer. I basically asked, "why are the input/output signals from the PTIM not all just standard 12v, 250mA signals?" Their reply was, "Yes, they are low voltage signals." I then asked why the upfit guide indicated they were 12v but testing indicated everything from 4v to 9v, to which they replied the signals were digital. I asked why the upfit guide didn't provide information useful for tying-in to the circuits they provide and advertise for use by upfitters. They had no information about "that problem."

Whatever. Thanks for nothing. Thanks for giving us a useless console mounting plate, too.

At least they now provide mating connectors for the PTIM interface with the car.

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
Andy L. said:

We use MPH Rangers and had a problem with the VSS in our chargers. I checked the connections and determined that the splice was not providing a good connection. I stripped the wire, wrapped the radar VSS wire and soldered. It works like a charm now.

I see the upfit plugs becoming the norm with all manufactures. I'm an advocate to minimize or eliminate any cutting of factory wires. I've seen too many problems with car computers that can be traced to an upfit modification.

I've found ways around tapping into wires for park kill. I've used micro switches that contact shift levers or mounted under the driver seat near a spring. As for horn rings, I revert to the old fashion relay at the horn. Never had problems with that modification.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
Keith K. said:
We use MPH Rangers and had a problem with the VSS in our chargers. I checked the connections and determined that the splice was not providing a good connection. I stripped the wire, wrapped the radar VSS wire and soldered. It works like a charm now.

What problems were you having? Non-functional, or sporatic/inaccurate speeds displayed in Target/Fastest/Patrol windows?

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
Andy L. said:
What problems were you having? Non-functional, or sporatic/inaccurate speeds displayed in Target/Fastest/Patrol windows?

Our 2011 Chargers were not sensing when the vehicle came to a stop or started rolling.

Our 2008 Chargers gave false patrol speeds.

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
you could use a relay to kill a signal going to the flasher when headlights are on. the computer on the car barely works as it is

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
bkn74 said:
you could use a relay to kill a signal going to the flasher when headlights are on. the computer on the car barely works as it is

Thats what I do as here in Virginia alternating headlights at night are illegal. So I have to use a SPDT relay to kill the signal whenever the headlights or parking lights come on, depending on which circuit I tap into. Same way on the new Caprice's that come with the flasher already installed.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
For whatever reason, the Whelen sirens do not appreciate the in-Park signal from the Charger. Good news is the Code3 Z3 doesn't have any problem with it. Well it's good news for me, not you Whelen suckers, lmao. I'm kidding. Not really.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.