2 or more pairs of handcuffs and flex cuffs

Pens, extra ticket book

knife

traffic cone for flashlights

cellular phone charger

Tow rope

Jumper cables

First aid kit

A MAP- your computer will not always work and if you don't know the area thats a big problem

A cheap spare traffic vest, one from lowes that folds up small, that way if you have a ride along or if yours comes up missing

And in the winter time i carry a military folding shovel, so if i get stuck i can dig myself out of snow, sometimes i also carry a full size shovel if its bad that way i can help disable motorists

Thats all i can think of right now, if its your own car as in take home or you don't share it, i would also throw some other stuff in the trunk, like a wool blanket (can probably get for free at any fire dept. if you ask) and a couple bottles of water

Reactions: jprleedy4680

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Carry at least 2 sets of cuffs on your belt - then additional pairs in the bag.

Have one "go bag" in your trunk with clean underwear, socks, granola bars, trail mix, water, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, sudafed, aspirin/tylenol, baby powder, neosporin, bandaids, Q-tips, toothbrush & toothpaste, a good spare flashlight (Surefire 6P LED with spare CR123 batteries), duct tape, and things you will want if you're forced to remain on duty for longer than a normal shift. Jumper cables (not necessarily in the bag, but in the vehicle somewhere). Maybe a compact gun-cleaning kit like Otis makes in whatever caliber your handgun is. A roll of quarters and a couple $20s. Folding entrenching tool or spade, and a quality folding knife. Wool blanket or "space" blanket. 12v auto fuses of the kind your car & console use, in various amperage ratings. Pack everything in zip-top bags in case something leaks.

Up front, stuff that you'll use every day. Chargers for your cell phone, GPS unit, and other electronics. Forms that are useful but not needed daily, rain cover for your hat, evidence bags, sharps containers for needles, etc. Spare pens, a sharpie marker, spare ticket & warning books. Pocket-sized revised code books. A map of the county where you work, plus one of those red map books. Spare battery for your portable radio. Traffic cone for your flashlight. Digital camera & batteries or 12V charger for it. Traffic vest. Flat and Phillips screw drivers, a quality multi-tool, etc. Not in the bag, but your clip board should be able to hold 99%of the forms you need on a daily basis. I get along with a duty log, lockout waivers, statement forms, and one or two others. Don't worry about carrying vacation requests, sick leave forms, etc. You can do that crap at the station.

If you carry a rifle, keep a small bag with a shoulder strap containing loaded magazines next to it. If you do need the rifle, you can just grab the magazine bag and throw it on. Actually, any spare ammo you carry should be in magazines already.

Reactions: Retired1

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Evidence bags, and a dog leash to bind people's feet and shut in the door.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Station 3 said:
I carry in my duty bag Paperwork,50 extra rounds for my duty weapon, 25 extra rounds for my shotgun, duct tape, pens pencils, note pads, a good multi tool, extra flashlight, two extra pistols "Colt 1911 .45" And "Keltec PF9 9mm" and 50 rounds for each of those guns, a good knife, a box of medical gloves, alot of purell hand sanitizer, extra cash and change, snacks and drinks, a camera, cell phone charger, extra uniform, and thanks to SBPARKCOP i also carry an extra warning light just in case i need it a FLATLIGHTER Strobe.

Yes that is all inside ONE duty bag.

You say that like it would be hard to fit in one bag. Most normal people would have no problem fitting that all in one bag, but since yours is filled up 90% by the time you put all your "snacks and drinks" in, I could see how you'd have a problem fitting anything else.

:D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ok so I'm not LE but I have a "war bag" (brand name i guess thats all it says in it)

I keep a case with paperwork in it, A set of computer speakers, microphone/speaker for our radios, handheld cb radio and its 12v adapter, orange traffic gloves, power supply and antenna for the scanner in my car(in case i need to set it up at work, or anywhere else), My hand held scanner when not in use, a handkerchief, a bandana, small knife, (not allowed to carry on the job), 2d mag light, a 110 - 12v adapter for charging Cellphone, mp3 player, use of cb (which is almost never), pens and highlighters, mp3 player, maglight d ring, key ring (which i havent used in ages), and my breakfast (a bottle of sundrop and 2 biscuits, or burritos, or pancakes, depends on day of week)

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
Dont forget a stack of regular plastic cups to cover ballistic evidence (Shell casings, spent rounds etc.) so Sticky fingered Chief Joey doesnt kick around your crime scene!

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
What I carry:

Spare mini flashlight

Spare CR123 Batteries

Spare HT1250 battery & Mic

Roll of Duct tape

Space Blanket

handful of Nitile gloves

Hand Sanitizer

Search/Non-puncture Gloves

Gun lock (chain type to go thru action and out barrel/magwell)

Gun spray lube/cleaner

Rain Jacket (trench Coat type) & Rain Cover for my Cover

Extra Pens/Pencils/Shapries

Extra Cuff Key

Spare Handcuffs (2x on duty belt already)

Large Zip ties and Flexcuffs

Pair of fleece gloves and beanie for winter

Shove Knife (great for forcible entry)

Glass Punch

Seat Belt Cutter

Multi-tool

4-in-1 Screwdriver

Door chocks

Black Ball Cap (Dept Mini patch on front, Badge # embroidered on rear)

Wallet & POV Keys

Gum

Car Charger for Cell Phone

Extra mini Pads

Extra Business Cards

Wipes (hooah & lysol)

CPR Mask

Mini First Aid Kit

Folder (containing State & County Prosecutor's Office Forms, Victim Forms, Evidence Forms, property Forms, Arrest Reports, Etc.)

Metal Clipboard (MVA Reports, Notepad, Witness State Forms)

Had an extra Radio Holder and Handcuff Case(on loan to a co-worker)

All that is in the bag which is seatbelted in the front seat to secure it. Tucked behind it is my Traffic Citation ClipBoard with 3x Traffic Summons Books (10x Summons ea.) and 2x Boro Ord/Special Citation Books (10x Summons ea.) On that I have taped a list of the Boro Ord., Court dats for year, Radio Channels for In car Radios, and Offenses that are court-required for MV and Boro Ord. And a traffic vest tucked in next to the clipboard

I have my Cover tucked in between the passenger Head rest and Cage as well. My normal Car doesn't have a shotgun in it yet, but the car I use when the car I use is OOS or used by a Full-timer, the car I use instead does have a Remington 870 with a box of extra shells in Glove box.

In the Truck I have:

Trunk Organizer containing

- 2x Boxes of Traffic Flares

- Water Rescue Rope/Toss Bag

- ABC Dry-Chem Extinguisher

- Married Couple/Irons (Halligan Bar and Flathead Axe)

- Evidence Markers

- slim Jim

- Lock-out Kit

- 5x Traffic Cones

- First Aid Grab Bag with O2

- AED

- Crime Scene Tape

- Box of Nitrile Gloves

- Garbage Bag

- hand soap

- Sterile Water

- 6x Bottles of Water

- Evidence Bags

And the Pickup has 4x boxes of Flares behind Seats (its a 89 Ranger so its got somewhat extended cab behind the front and only row of seats), and 25x Cones in Bed, Road Closed & Detour Signs, Road Barricades. Pickup is used for Traffic details almost exclusively.

Reactions: Retired1

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
Bonanno said:
What I carry:

Spare mini flashlight

Spare CR123 Batteries

Spare HT1250 battery & Mic

Roll of Duct tape

Space Blanket

handful of Nitile gloves

Hand Sanitizer

Search/Non-puncture Gloves

Gun lock (chain type to go thru action and out barrel/magwell)

Gun spray lube/cleaner

Rain Jacket (trench Coat type) & Rain Cover for my Cover

Extra Pens/Pencils/Shapries

Extra Cuff Key

Spare Handcuffs (2x on duty belt already)

Large Zip ties and Flexcuffs

Pair of fleece gloves and beanie for winter

Shove Knife (great for forcible entry)

Glass Punch

Seat Belt Cutter

Multi-tool

4-in-1 Screwdriver

Door chocks

Black Ball Cap (Dept Mini patch on front, Badge # embroidered on rear)

Wallet & POV Keys

Gum

Car Charger for Cell Phone

Extra mini Pads

Extra Business Cards

Wipes (hooah & lysol)

CPR Mask

Mini First Aid Kit

Folder (containing State & County Prosecutor's Office Forms, Victim Forms, Evidence Forms, property Forms, Arrest Reports, Etc.)

Metal Clipboard (MVA Reports, Notepad, Witness State Forms)

Had an extra Radio Holder and Handcuff Case(on loan to a co-worker)

All that is in the bag which is seatbelted in the front seat to secure it. Tucked behind it is my Traffic Citation ClipBoard with 3x Traffic Summons Books (10x Summons ea.) and 2x Boro Ord/Special Citation Books (10x Summons ea.) On that I have taped a list of the Boro Ord., Court dats for year, Radio Channels for In car Radios, and Offenses that are court-required for MV and Boro Ord. And a traffic vest tucked in next to the clipboard

I have my Cover tucked in between the passenger Head rest and Cage as well. My normal Car doesn't have a shotgun in it yet, but the car I use when the car I use is OOS or used by a Full-timer, the car I use instead does have a Remington 870 with a box of extra shells in Glove box.

In the Truck I have:

Trunk Organizer containing

- 2x Boxes of Traffic Flares

- Water Rescue Rope/Toss Bag

- ABC Dry-Chem Extinguisher

- Married Couple/Irons (Halligan Bar and Flathead Axe)

- Evidence Markers

- slim Jim

- Lock-out Kit

- 5x Traffic Cones

- First Aid Grab Bag with O2

- AED

- Crime Scene Tape

- Box of Nitrile Gloves

- Garbage Bag

- hand soap

- Sterile Water

- 6x Bottles of Water

- Evidence Bags

And the Pickup has 4x boxes of Flares behind Seats (its a 89 Ranger so its got somewhat extended cab behind the front and only row of seats), and 25x Cones in Bed, Road Closed & Detour Signs, Road Barricades. Pickup is used for Traffic details almost exclusively.

AWESOMe idea about getting a set of Irons for you car! So useful!

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
HFD eng1ine said:
AWESOMe idea about getting a set of Irons for you car! So useful!

Give that to one of my Sgts whose the fleet manager. He is also the FD Chief, and more then half of the PD are FFs either in the that town or their hometown. There's been times when for fire calls (summer weekend nights when we are running 8+ guys at the PD due to the amount of bars) that the Engine rolls with with all cops, the looks we get are priceless when we pull up.

Forgot to add we also have CBRN Escape Masks in all the cars. And we used to have MDTs but all are down and crashed.... which really sucks.

THEFLASH

May 21, 2010
ALABAMA
I use a smaller bag for the ease of transporting/transferring in and out of the unit.

2 spare pistol mags fully loaded

2 spare rifle mags loaded

an extra pistol (Glock 19)

An extra box of ammo for each weapon

Backup radio

Spare Taser cartridges

Backup Flashlight

Trench coat style reversible Blauer rain jacket

Traffic vest

Ball cap

Multi tool

Multi function screwdriver (4 bits)

Extra fuses

(thanks to ELB) Electrical tape/wire cutters/butt connectors/spool of wire

Small first aid kit

dog leash to keep those drunk feet from kicking out the window

leg irons

2 pair extra cuffs (+2 on my belt)

Extra set of keys (house, car, cuffs)

2 packs of crackers

Space blanket

Cell phone charger

Off duty holster

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Mine has always had a pack of non-scented baby wipes. Great for many kinds of clean-ups, and always handy when someone forgets to replace the TP in the crapper.

THEFLASH

May 21, 2010
ALABAMA
crescentstar69 said:
Mine has always had a pack of non-scented baby wipes. Great for many kinds of clean-ups, and always handy when someone forgets to replace the TP in the crapper.

You take your bag to the crapper? :D

MikeD

Jul 3, 2010
Richmond, MI
I won't duplicate all the stuff previously listed, but I carry a few other items I didnt see:

- basic tools - flat & phillps screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, adjustable wrench

- a couple bungee cords of varying sizes (great for securing your trunk when transporting a bike or large item)

- bug spray

- sunblock

- CPR mask

- basic OTC meds (motrin, decongestants, antacids)

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So...I just received my latest check for "gas reimbursement" from my VFD (47 runs for this period, not too shabby). I really need to pay some bills, but I am going to let myself buy ONE tool that I don't have and I probably need.

Right now I'm leaning towards a helmet light. A Pelican to be specific. Although all our trucks have Survivors hard-mounted for all the occupants to use, I can't stand them. I'm thinking a Pelican because I can also use it for dive calls too.

awww.thefirestore.com_store_products_20030902115928_Photo2.jpg

BUT, I'm open to suggestions. I'm not signed off for interior firefighting yet, so that rules out a bunch of tools that I don't need at this time.

What do you think?

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
vonirkinshtine said:
It's hard for me to justify a $120 flashlight though, lol.
Once you get it and use it the first time, you won't have to worry about justifying it. It's probably the best light out there right now as far as helmet lights go. And I would recommend not using your light for multiple things. If you need a dive light, buy one to use for that and that only.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I have had good luck with my stream light 4 double A led flash light. Ditch the cheap mount though and get a black jack holder. I recently did just that and couldn't be happeir with that mount.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
Surefire is the best I ever had, even used it to hold my car up when I changed a tire, The jack didn't fit, and I had to stand the car on something, wooden board and the surefire.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
The surefire thang i would of never thought of that...But now back on topic are whole dept has the foxfury commander series 20 helmet light and let me tell you this light kicks ass....No bolts just a rubber strap and a battery pack with a red indicater light for people behind you can see...Ive owned it for two yrs now and it hasnt failed me yet....

Reactions: delcofirecop
May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I carry webbing and a Streamlight 2AA single LED light in my left coat pocket, Super gloves in my right pocket, a Channellock 87 tool and extrication gloves in my right bunker pocket and I leave the left bunker pocket for personal things like my cell phone and keys, plus my PASS device key goes there when its activated.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
kinnelonfire75 said:
I carry webbing and a Streamlight 2AA single LED light in my left coat pocket, Super gloves in my right pocket, a Channellock 87 tool and extrication gloves in my right bunker pocket and I leave the left bunker pocket for personal things like my cell phone and keys, plus my PASS device key goes there when its activated.

Thanks for the info! I've never really known how to utilize my coat pockets. I don't always wear my coat depending on what's going on at the time, but I always have my turnout pants on.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
I beg you to get the vantage. I promise ones you use it you will never regret spending your money. during overhaul, if u have some ceiling fall on you that pelican bracket will be bent. Now, the vantage's 1/4 inch aluminum bracket all mounted really close to the light will not bend no matter what and looks great mounted under the brim of a helmet. Plus you have that blue light so you can be seen from behind on the vantage. Honestly, find someone who has one and check it out!!!!

KP

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
kinnelonfire75 said:

Wait.....u put your cell phone in your gear pockets? Into fires? And your have never had it get wet ot damaged from the heat...? Wouldnt it just be easier to leave it on your belt or in your normal pants pocket? That what I did and everyone else i know does. Theres REALLY no need to have a cellphone in reach at a fire. If you ABSOLUTLY had to use it it will only take an extra second to reach into your pant pocket under your gear.

KP

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
heres a picture of my dads vantage mounted..he never had a problem with it and its just insanly bright. And very adjustable for all leather helmets.

0831091300d.jpg

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
Hoser said:
One of the best flashlights Ive ever owned is the Nebo Redline. Would have loved to have had one during my years with the FD. It can be bought for around $25.

Agreed with him. I have a red line on my Helmet useing the stream light blackjack flashlight bracket for my helmet. Best investment I have made.

ffemt88

Jun 13, 2010
N/A
If you don't have them ...

ai1132.photobucket.com_albums_m563_kiwibagpiper_cc10.jpg

The most basic, but most important thing to have in your pockets. I can live in the dark, or without a radio, but I couldn't live without these. Plus, they're only about $13 bucks.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
HFD eng1ine said:
Wait.....u put your cell phone in your gear pockets? Into fires? And your have never had it get wet ot damaged from the heat...? Wouldnt it just be easier to leave it on your belt or in your normal pants pocket? That what I did and everyone else i know does. Theres REALLY no need to have a cellphone in reach at a fire. If you ABSOLUTLY had to use it it will only take an extra second to reach into your pant pocket under your gear.

KP

Google Image Result for http://www.cnet.com/i/bto/20091119/g%27zone_rock_270x449.jpg

Its indestructible. I have tried time and time again to damage it. Don't worry, and yes, I have found a cell phone useful inside before.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
ffemt88 said:
The most basic, but most important thing to have in your pockets. I can live in the dark, or without a radio, but I couldn't live without these. Plus, they're only about $13 bucks.

Not a FF but curious. They're cable cutters, you use them to cut ???

ffemt88

Jun 13, 2010
N/A
36TruckK said:
Cables..of all things..LOL

One of the biggest hazards facing FF's these days interior in structures is entanglement. As technology advances, so does the amount of cables that are being tossed into walls and drop ceilings. The more and more items you carry on the outside of your gear & helmet, the greater your chance for being caught up [Helmet and handlights, door chocks, glove holders, radio straps, even PASS alarms - If its not something I use on absolutely every call its either in a pocket or left hanging in my locker]. This is just a short video of some guys going through a small prop to simulate these hazards

Those cutters, will do just about anything. The tracks from a drop ceiling, to CAT 5, to phone cables. If you can fit it in the tool, it will cut it.

36TruckK

Jul 16, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
Great explanation!

I actually have a design in mind for a pair of cutters that can be used with one gloved hand, in zero visibilty. I just need to figure out how to get them made..

ffemt88

Jun 13, 2010
N/A
36TruckK said:
Great explanation!

I actually have a design in mind for a pair of cutters that can be used with one gloved hand, in zero visibilty. I just need to figure out how to get them made..

Someone already beat you to it!

ai1132.photobucket.com_albums_m563_kiwibagpiper_springcutters2.jpg

ai1132.photobucket.com_albums_m563_kiwibagpiper_springcutters1.jpg

As seen on vententersearch.com

If I recall correctly he used a clothespin spring and welded it to the cutters. Patent it before he does!

36TruckK

Jul 16, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
ffemt88 said:
Someone already beat you to it!

ai1132.photobucket.com_albums_m563_kiwibagpiper_springcutters2.jpg

ai1132.photobucket.com_albums_m563_kiwibagpiper_springcutters1.jpg

As seen on vententersearch.com

If I recall correctly he used a clothespin spring and welded it to the cutters. Patent it before he does!

Similar, in fact his was the inspiration for my design...I just fine tuned it.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
I have a Streamlight 4AA on my helmet, works awesome. Been thinking of a Streamlight Vantage as my buddy as one and loves it.

Also have a pair of cable cutters, a Mutli Tool, 5-in-1 screwdriver, shove knife, folding spanner wrench, lockblade knife, 5-in-1 rescue tool (glass punch, pry, seat belt cutter, gas shutoff), 20ft webbing, 35ft nomex rope, 2 caribiners, extrication gloves, ems shears, nitrile gloves,

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
Jacket left pocket: Left mechanics glove for extrication and a couple wedges.

Jacket right pocket: Right mechanics glove and my hood.

Right pants pocket: 25' Webbing loop, 2 carabiners, right structural glove.

Left Pants Pocket: Cable Cutters (just like ffemt88), folding spanner wrench, utility knife and my left structural glove.

I have a Streamlight Vantage helmet light... I don't like it.

We're issued Bright Star Responder flashlights for our coats which aren't bad.

In my radio pocket I've got, well, my radio and a shove knife.

I also carry a Bright Star Light Hawk lantern light... I love that thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.