Peterbilt Oversize with Axixtech Torrent

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
I recently made the purchase of a new lightbar, after a lot of research and price shopping I made the decision on the Axixtech 54" torrent. It is all amber no alley lights and no takedowns. I had the bar built to my likes. It took a little longer then expected to get the bar but Louis at Strobesnmore.com was on top of the situation any time I asked a status. He went so far as to forward me an email between him and his contact at Brooking regarding why my bar took longer to ship then normal. The bar came packaged very well. I was impressed with the packaging and layout. The mounts I used were inside the box. The light was encased in foam holders to keep it from moving around. I did the install myself. This bar is able to be powered by 1 switched on/off positive wire. I ran an 8 gauge wire fused from the dash to the lightbar harness, programmed the bar how I wanted and finished the hookup and its an awesome bar. I noticed a few things while mounting it, the bar is an aluminum housing which most people know and the lenses of course are clear. the bolts for the bottom that the mounts bolt onto are all stainless hardware. I wish they were just a hair longer but i understand why there not. It also came with mounting hardward to mount the mounts onto the truck. I know in the past with other items, not emergency equipment, alot of companies will not spend that extra dollar for better rust resistent hardware, its whatever is cheaper to get it out the door. I know alot of people are diehard whelen and code 3 and thats fine, but with the full 5 year warranty and the support from strobesnmore, I don't think that I will have a problem. I think that it well work the extra look to consider these bars.

2012-04-26_18-20-21_569.jpg

2012-04-26_18-21-41_71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
just a friendly update to members, this bar has been on the truck since the beginning of june. I used it from june to about the 14th of august and the I had my truck off the road til october 30th.

From install to august I would use the bar many times, from sun up to sundown never shutting it off when it was in use, the bar tends to stay on powered full anywhere from 6-12 hours a day. I never had 1 single issue with the bar in the 2 months.

While the truck was torn down and off the road the lightbar sat outside attached to my cabguard laying down. The bar was open to the elements and the lenses were facing up towards the sky. We got several heavy rain storms and the bar never took on one stitch of moisture.

In October I reinstalled my cabguard with the bar on it and hooked it back up and believe it or not the bar sat dormant for 2 months with no power to it and I did not have to reprogram the bar. I powered it on and it was like it was never disconnected. I've been using the bar a lot since reinstalled and it has yet to even hiccup. Last week alone I used the bar from monday morning to thursday morning only shutting it off at night when required to shut down for the night, monday I used it about 5 hours, tuesday 10 hours, wednesday 10 hours, and thursday 3 hours.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. The bar is going strong and it is mounted solid on top of my headache rack, it takes a beating like most lightbars don't and its not phasing it one bit. I just thought I'd like to give an update. I know its not a name brand, whelen or code 3 or something like that, but I feel the quality is there and its is a great bar for anyone in the market.

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r320_judges69_2012_11_07_16_47_14_383.jpg

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r320_judges69_2012111095090228.jpg

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r320_judges69_2012111095090229.jpg

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r320_judges69_Frame_20job_2012_10_17_23_29_13_774_zps9a2fe6cf.jpg

a few shots from the highway caught in motion and a couple more of the way its installed and on what vehicle.

Reactions: OliverD

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Awesome. Now how about you paint the sleeper to go along with the rest of the truck. lol

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Good to hear, you have a nice setup. What is that, a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment on that tractor?

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Jman423 said:
Good to hear, you have a nice setup. What is that, a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment on that tractor?

Its what I always wanted since I was a kid. Love it, more space big fridge, shower and toilet, nothing like it.

As for the paint. I just invested 10k in painting the frame and a ton of other stuff. There is still a cab and engine swap before any body work or paint is done.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
The lightbar looks good. I was following your build thread on another forum, I believe. Same username there as here.

Magyar E.L.S

May 26, 2010
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
As a Axixtech dealer, and supplier id like to add my 2 cents. I Personally run a 49" Blue Loaded Torrent on my own vehicle and I will back what you have said. The product is reliable, well built, and lasts!! I'm VERY Proud of selling and installing the product.

I will agree sometimes the lead time on some of the Axixtech products is slow but, it is WORTH the wait.

Again thanks for the input and feedback.

Thanks

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Magyar E.L.S said:
As a Axixtech dealer, and supplier id like to add my 2 cents. I Personally run a 49" Blue Loaded Torrent on my own vehicle and I will back what you have said. The product is reliable, well built, and lasts!! I'm VERY Proud of selling and installing the product.

I will agree sometimes the lead time on some of the Axixtech products is slow but, it is WORTH the wait.

Again thanks for the input and feedback.

Thanks

The lead time on mine was a little longer then it was supposed to be but I worked with the time frame. It seems when I bought mine brooking was struggling to keep up with demand and had to rob peter to pay paul when they built mine. I encourage others the see it to buy it as well. for the money you can't beat it and I get comments ALL the time about how bright it is and the flash patterns. the bar was simple to install and it seems very well built. I would put it against any name brand bar any day of the week.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
thejudges69 said:
I'm accepting donations,
Haha, I'll get right on that. But with my previous statement about the paint I'm halfly joking and halfly serious because I know how much the trucks cost to run and keep going, especially if your a O/O.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
lafd55 said:
Haha, I'll get right on that. But with my previous statement about the paint I'm halfly joking and halfly serious because I know how much the trucks cost to run and keep going, especially if your a O/O.

I mentioned previously in the thread that I thought that I saw his truck build in another forum...it is the same truck. He has done an extreme amount of work on it to get it to where he wants it...paint is the last step. It'll be show quality by the time it's done.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
looks great! I think axixtech has a pretty solid reputation here, so I'm not surprised to hear that it's holding up well and pretty bright.

BTW, is that an old united van lines body there? the paint scheme looks familiar lol

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
BigWil said:
I mentioned previously in the thread that I thought that I saw his truck build in another forum...it is the same truck. He has done an extreme amount of work on it to get it to where he wants it...paint is the last step. It'll be show quality by the time it's done.

Which forum? I'd like to see it.

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
hey guys sorry for the later reply, i never get email notifications for posts to my topics, I am an owner op, so yes its difficult to operate it and build it, the bar is still going awesome, just loaded in erie, pa 2 days ago, ran it all day yesterday and all day today, never blinked an eye. I'm trying to talk another driver into the same bar.

I still have another cab and another engine to build before the truck goes to paint, and yes it is an old united van lines bunk, the original owners bought a new one so I bought there old one.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
can we see a new video of the bar in action? it looks great up there. id like to see a pair of M7s in the rear and and pair of M7s in the front. Great looking rig so far

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
its one of whelens new bigger surface mount light heads. VERY BRIGHT

m7a.jpg

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
update! a couple months ago I had a module that went out, I contacted brooking and they explained it was a loose connection on the module because only 1 was out and not 2 and they're wired in a series. by the time I got to fix it it started working so I left it. well tonight I noticed another one out so I figured it was time to pull it apart. let me tell you, this bar takes about 30 minutes to get apart and all the seals were super tight, the inside was immaculate. like the day it was built. I checked connections on all the plugs. the one that was out a couple months ago was just a little loose so I pushed it in and heard it snap into place. I still have 1 out, I found a broken wire on the plug going into the module. an easy fix but need a wire end which I'll order tomorrow. now, if your thinking the broken wire is just the beginning your wrong. I think this was a result of the bar mounting setup. when I got the bar there was no cushions to put under the bar so I just solid mounted it with no isolator. so up until a week ago this bar was mounted solid, now it has a rubber bushing under it since Spencer brooking told me it should have one. I think this is acceptable for being solid mounted and getting road vibration for the last almost year. I still stress, I will highly recommend this bar to any, I spoke to Spencer brooking directly and he is a super guy and was 100% helpful. for the price you almost can't walk away for what you get and the quality is second to none. I'm going to try to post a pic of the inside of the bar hopefully it works.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
\ said:
update! a couple months ago I had a module that went out' date=' I contacted brooking and they explained it was a loose connection on the module because only 1 was out and not 2 and they're wired in a series. by the time I got to fix it it started working so I left it. well tonight I noticed another one out so I figured it was time to pull it apart. let me tell you, this bar takes about 30 minutes to get apart and all the seals were super tight, the inside was immaculate. like the day it was built. I checked connections on all the plugs. the one that was out a couple months ago was just a little loose so I pushed it in and heard it snap into place. I still have 1 out, I found a broken wire on the plug going into the module. an easy fix but need a wire end which I'll order tomorrow. now, if your thinking the broken wire is just the beginning your wrong. I think this was a result of the bar mounting setup. when I got the bar there was no cushions to put under the bar so I just solid mounted it with no isolator. so up until a week ago this bar was mounted solid, now it has a rubber bushing under it since Spencer brooking told me it should have one. I think this is acceptable for being solid mounted and getting road vibration for the last almost year. I still stress, I will highly recommend this bar to any, I spoke to Spencer brooking directly and he is a super guy and was 100% helpful. for the price you almost can't walk away for what you get and the quality is second to none. I'm going to try to post a pic of the inside of the bar hopefully it works.[/quote']

I met Spencer Brooking at IACP a few years ago, he is a nice guy.

As for the lighthead issues, I've had a similar problem with the internal connectors on many of my Axixtech lights. I've fixed many of them, but I've since replace all of my Axixtech stuff with other brands. I'm surprised this is STILL happening. How about fixing the problem in production. If you've had this problem twice in one, fairly new bar, you'll most likely have more failures. Axixtech/Brooking seems to have fallen into the shadows lately.

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Jman423 said:
I met Spencer Brooking at IACP a few years ago, he is a nice guy.

As for the lighthead issues, I've had a similar problem with the internal connectors on many of my Axixtech lights. I've fixed many of them, but I've since replace all of my Axixtech stuff with other brands. I'm surprised this is STILL happening. How about fixing the problem in production. If you've had this problem twice in one, fairly new bar, you'll most likely have more failures. Axixtech/Brooking seems to have fallen into the shadows lately.

this is the first issue with this bar, for what this bar goes through I'm not bitchin 1 bit. I think they make awesome products everyone that sees the bar function ask about it. the one light that was out was just a loose plug. Spencer told me it happens on occasion they just don't get pushed all the way in. the thing that got me the most was that I called brooking he asked when and where I bought it and never asked another question he asked what was wrong and told me how to fix it. I've called other lighting manufacturing companies and the was the model number, serial number, who ya bought it from and when, sometimes want to see the receipt. Spencer stressed that they strive on a no hassle warranty. for a solid mounted bar 13 feet in the air getting hit with everything from wind, water. branches, and anything else you can imagine I think its doing just fine. I just like to update every once in a while for people to know how happy I am. axixtech gets a bad rap on this site because its foreign made and american assembled. I try to give all positive reports and be honest for other potential buyers that maybe in the market for a top quality led bar.

also, the one reason I didn't buy some of the popular bars was warranty issues, I needed to make sure that if the bar fails and it don't fail at home that they will let me fix it myself without voiding the warranty. Spencer has offered to repair my bar if I don't want to but I don't see its necessary.

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
hey everyone, just wanted to update again. it has been on the truck a full year and still going strong. this has been a hectic year with work and the wife an I had our first child so the bar hasn't seen a ton of use since maybe mayish. but when I do use it, it fires right up and goes without any incidents. I had the one issue with a broken wire. I fixed that and its still going strong. no issues since. again I know there are a lot of mixed feelings regarding axixtech but with the day to day road vibration and abuse this bar is put through, I'm blown away at how its holding up. I feel as though just in the last year its paid for itself. my Whelen had a fair bit of issues and cost me down time to repair but this bar just keeps on ticking. I can't stress enough if your in the market, don't count out axixtech and brooking industries.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
Looks good bro ,

I used to drive truck for a little while and gave it up Mostly cause my kids but the prime reason is truck stop showers and how some of them are NASTY!!!!

If I ever drive again it would have to be with one of those sleepers behind me.

Keep the greasy side down!

Dan

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Hello again everyone. Just wanted to give another update. For some reason I find almost no feedback on these bars online so I feel I need to keep people posted. It will be 2 years in june I've had the bar. I have only had a couple minor issues, I just recently fixed 2 wires inside the bar to the modules and found another one questionable so I fixed it as well. The inside of the bar looks as clean as the day it was built. I've very impressed with the dryness of the bar. My old Whelen used to look like a rusted out old car inside whenever I took it apart, this ones nothing like that. I'm of course not bashing Whelen so please, not looking to get into a pissing match. My whelen was a good bar, I just had it overbuilt for my use and kept melting it down. ANYWAYS, 2 years and the bar is going great, I have zero complaints about the bar at all. I know there was a comment earlier about breaking wires and being a constant problem. Well, majority of the bars in use probably don't see 20-30k a year, this ones about to roll 200K of hard highway miles, being hit with hail, snow, sleet, tree limbs and so on, I really don't think the few broken wires I've had is a big deal for what it goes through. I honestly see no comparison to what I'm doing vs an emergency vehicle as far as usage. I did 7 loads winter from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, back to back routed miles was right at 300, flip the bar on and never turn it off til the jobs done or the days over, it never missed a beat. I still highly recommend these bars, They are the best bang for the buck, I certainly recommend them to lots of people including local law enforcement in my town. Hope this helps someone make a decision. I know when I bought this I was really skeptical about it being it was not a big name like whelen or code 3 but it is by far in the same boat as them as far as quality, craftsmanship and reliability. At a far less price as well.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Welcome back. Good to hear about the bar holding up! Its also a welcome site that you have been giving long term updates, which you rarly see nowadays.

Strobe Craft

Jul 23, 2011
IL
thejudges69 said:
Hello again everyone. Just wanted to give another update. For some reason I find almost no feedback on these bars online so I feel I need to keep people posted. It will be 2 years in june I've had the bar. I have only had a couple minor issues, I just recently fixed 2 wires inside the bar to the modules and found another one questionable so I fixed it as well. The inside of the bar looks as clean as the day it was built. I've very impressed with the dryness of the bar. My old Whelen used to look like a rusted out old car inside whenever I took it apart, this ones nothing like that. I'm of course not bashing Whelen so please, not looking to get into a pissing match. My whelen was a good bar, I just had it overbuilt for my use and kept melting it down. ANYWAYS, 2 years and the bar is going great, I have zero complaints about the bar at all. I know there was a comment earlier about breaking wires and being a constant problem. Well, majority of the bars in use probably don't see 20-30k a year, this ones about to roll 200K of hard highway miles, being hit with hail, snow, sleet, tree limbs and so on, I really don't think the few broken wires I've had is a big deal for what it goes through. I honestly see no comparison to what I'm doing vs an emergency vehicle as far as usage. I did 7 loads winter from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, back to back routed miles was right at 300, flip the bar on and never turn it off til the jobs done or the days over, it never missed a beat. I still highly recommend these bars, They are the best bang for the buck, I certainly recommend them to lots of people including local law enforcement in my town. Hope this helps someone make a decision. I know when I bought this I was really skeptical about it being it was not a big name like whelen or code 3 but it is by far in the same boat as them as far as quality, craftsmanship and reliability. At a far less price as well.

Fantastic! Glad to hear. Thanks again for the updates!

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
strobecrazy said:
Welcome back. Good to hear about the bar holding up! Its also a welcome site that you have been giving long term updates, which you rarly see nowadays.

That's why I continue to update, I know a majority of people are familiar with the big name companies and don't know anything about these bars so I figured I would assist and keep people updated of problems and anything else that has gone wrong with the bar. So far it has been all positive except the couple broken wires.

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Hello board, it has been well over a year since my last update. The bar is working great and has been since my last update. I have had a couple minor issues, at one point I thought the processor went bad, all our testing indicated that it has and then I found a broken ground wire on the vehicle itself and the bar came right back to life. Brooking did send me a new processor and being that it was not the problem I went ahead and sent it back. I also noticed about 2 months ago that I have a module that is partially not working, I spoke to Spencer Brooking yesterday and he went ahead and put it in the mail to me no questions asked. He is also sending me a couple extra terminal ends. I have a corner module that's not working at all so I'm assuming it is a broken wire. Spencer was questioning why I have all the broken wires and that he has never heard of these issues. I explained to him as I will to all the members, This bar is only 3 years old and has probably close to 250,000 miles on it of hard road beatings from all over the country. I have stressed before that this is not your standard sitting on top of a nice riding crown vic mounting situation. My bar has rubber pads under the mounts but the bar is mounted to my headache rack and solid mounted to the frame of the truck so its getting more abuse then most bars in most applications. For what I paid for this bar and the service I have gotten from Brooking I still highly recommend this product to anyone.

Reactions: strobecrazy

thejudges69

May 31, 2010
youngstown, ohio
Hey board. I'd like to give an update. This bar is now 5 years old, probably has 400k on it of hard interstate road beatings. Lot of use and tons of good and bad weather. It's still mounted high above my cab, and still takes a beating like none other. I pulled the lenses and top off today. Spencer Brooking sent me replacement modules a couple years ago for a corner and 1 front module. I finally took the time to replace them. He also sent me a wiring harness, which at this time I'm not going to install. The wiring inside is beautiful, I do have a couple modules that lose contact once in a while, but they typically come right on after a little time. But while it's apart, I'm going to squeeze some terminals to get a good connection again. Since my last post in 2015, the bar have given zero issues. Powers up like it did the day I got it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I highly recommend this bar and company, I won't lie though. I've had some struggles getting some answers in the past, but once I get them answered, things have gone smoothly. Don't overlook the axixtech brand, or Brooking industries. I'm going to try to upload a picture I just took today when I lifter the top off. I'm going to polish the lenses while they are off and keep on trucking with it.

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
You sir are dedicated to updating your posts! Great job, I wish you many more safe happy miles! At this point you deserve a sponsorship or at least a few more lights to test out and report back ;-)

Reactions: Silentknight2112

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.