Photos: new Ohio State Patrol light bars

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
odugoose said:
where is that yard? i've allways herd rumors of it but never knew where.

Do you mean the install yard? It's on the west side of Alum Creek Drive, Just north of the nursing home at 1599 Alum Creek Drive.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
RL1 said:
I saw a GSP car with a Code 3 bar for the first time the other day and it wasn't bad. The car, a Charger, is the first 2010 I've seen with GSP and is set up differently than most. Instead of blue and gray, it was all gray but still with the orange lettering. It also had a regular push bumper instead of the wrap around that Chargers usually get. As for lights, the old set up was a Liberty, 2 2 head dominators in the grill, 2 angle lin 3's on the PB for intersection warning, a 6 head dominator on the rear deck, and OEM HLF/TLF all ran off a Whelen switch box and Motorola siren. This car had a Code 3 with clear lenses (as bright was a liberty but didn't seem to hurt my eyes as bad up close), Code 3 par 36 LEDs in the fog lights (pretty bright, but wasn't too impressed since one was filled halfway with water and went from flashing to an extremely dim steady burn), a Code 3 2 head tir 6 dash light on the rear deck in teal blue (not impressive) and OEM HLF/TLF. The siren speaker was mounted on the push bumper used the middle bar and flush with the passenger side vertical pole. It didn't look the best but has to be louder than what the older Chargers had. For a control box, it looked like a V-Con with a pursuit switch. It was also the first time I've seen a GSP car with a Stalker Dual Radar, which I am very jealous of.

Overall, I believe Code has stepped up their game and, if they are cheaper then Whelen, can definitely see why OHP, GSP, and others are switching. I am sure, now that the big guys have switched, a lot of smaller departments will start shopping Code 3.

Those cars a re contract overruns from another state agency, purchased by GSP.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
11b101abn said:
Those cars a re contract overruns from another state agency, purchased by GSP.

Ahh. I wish my dept could get something like that...

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
most of the cars I have seen have the red light above the rear view miror

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dustymedic said:
Do you mean the install yard? It's on the west side of Alum Creek Drive, Just north of the nursing home at 1599 Alum Creek Drive.

Yep. Its got a big sign that says "CENTRAL INSTALL," "TAILOR SHOP" and something else I cant recall.

trooper1465

Sep 29, 2011
USA
I was with the OSHP when we changed over from the Whelen strobe bar to the Vista bar. That was a drastic change considering all the extra lighting they added. It was okay for a while then became a maintenance nightmare.

I am really happy with the new look and choice of equipment. The all blue LED bar really punches through even the brightest daylight and gets noticed!! The auto dimming feature is very nice also.

As far as the single red light in the rear glass and the two behind the grille, that's a compliance effort with the Ohio Revised Code on the color of police vehicle lighting.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I found this gem today... Thought I would share. I know it's not much but I was excited to get it on here!!! :)

ai94.photobucket.com_albums_l115_Derendall_312606_227653803956975419eb0e8039bea666bc48e0fa8889.jpg

P.S. - I think it's freakin sick!! :)

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I don't know what stage this is in so it might be comming. It was on a trooper buddy of mines FB page. :)

EDIT: I think the bar was just sat on top of the charger to see what it looks like. I put it as my desktop at work and saw a large amount of cable still on the roof and no straps. So I am assuming this is not a complete car. :) But still going to be SICK none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Fluffy126577 said:
I found this gem today... Thought I would share. I know it's not much but I was excited to get it on here!!! :)

ai94.photobucket.com_albums_l115_Derendall_312606_227653803956975419eb0e8039bea666bc48e0fa8889.jpg

The tires and grill almost make it look like a civi model.

Johnny_Law

Sep 6, 2011
Grove City, Ohio
Fluffy126577 said:

This is the color that's been chosen by OSP..... However, this particular Charger was bought off of the showroom floor just to be temporarily decaled and have a new lightbar put on top to get the general idea of what the new cars will look like. Also, they wanted to give the techs at CI a chance to form a plan as to how they will go about the installations and building of cars once the Chargers show up.

If I'm not mistaking, this particular Charger will ultimately end up as a Liquor Enforcement vehicle. OSP's won't have the sporty rims that you see here, but this is the color that I was talking about in my earlier post.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
To the Ohio people, I am told there is a place in Dublin where OSP builds their cars. If so, where is it at in Dublin? It was my understanding that all builds are done at Central Install.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Johnny_Law said:
This is the color that's been chosen by OSP..... However, this particular Charger was bought off of the showroom floor just to be temporarily decaled and have a new lightbar put on top to get the general idea of what the new cars will look like. Also, they wanted to give the techs at CI a chance to form a plan as to how they will go about the installations and building of cars once the Chargers show up.

If I'm not mistaking, this particular Charger will ultimately end up as a Liquor Enforcement vehicle. OSP's won't have the sporty rims that you see here, but this is the color that I was talking about in my earlier post.

That would explain the lack of the spotlight on this unit. When I spoke to a Radio tech from OSP he told me that the Installs are basically plug and play. Bought wiring harnesses that are made up for the model car. Be it the crown vics that are getting updated or the new tahoes and chargers. Said it makes it very nice to do them. As everything is numbered and pre-engineered and makes it nice for them to install and wire up and he units will all be the same. Unlike in the past where you had different techs doing it their own way and a hodge podge of installs. After all the Chargers aren't new to the OSP as they have had some out there. Was also told the drivers seats are made to accommodate a officer wearing a gun belt, and are very comfortable.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
FireEMSPolice said:
To the Ohio people, I am told there is a place in Dublin where OSP builds their cars. If so, where is it at in Dublin? It was my understanding that all builds are done at Central Install.
It could be Parr Public Safety Equipment. Not sure who else has a shop up that way.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
mjw357 said:
It could be Parr Public Safety Equipment. Not sure who else has a shop up that way.

Parr Public Safety is not in Dublin. They are in Plain City. Parr just provides equipment, their shop next door, Public Safety Concepts does the installs.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
FireEMSPolice said:
Parr Public Safety is not in Dublin. They are in Plain City. Parr just provides equipment, their shop next door, Public Safety Concepts does the installs.

Yes I know where they are, I've been there. Even though the address is Plain City, the shop is miles closer to Dublin than Plain City, since we are splitting hairs.

FLAGSHIP

Jun 8, 2011
Rhinebeck, NY
All junk. It does the job, but these economy bars are no Whelen Edge Bars. I don't like it when agencies cut corners. I know that budgets are getting smaller because of local "NO" votes by taxpayers, but agencies should go for the best.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
They had a few test cars with chevrons on the back a year or two ago, I wonder if those will show up since they are going back to cars the color of the pavement???

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Johnny_Law said:
Their cars will no longer be white. They are going with the Dodge factory Gray, or maybe a grayish-silver color patrol car again.

I was under the impression that after Tpr Vasquez was killed by an OVI driver a few years back, OSP researched the issue and found the gray cars were not as visible; and then switched to white. I'm surprised they are switching back. Do you have a link of any sort?

Johnny_Law

Sep 6, 2011
Grove City, Ohio
MeefZah said:
I was under the impression that after Tpr Vasquez was killed by an OVI driver a few years back, OSP researched the issue and found the gray cars were not as visible; and then switched to white. I'm surprised they are switching back. Do you have a link of any sort?

Other than the pictures that have been shared here, sorry, I don't have any links...... Funny that you mention that thing to do with Frank Vasquez..... That, IMO, was purely political posturing by a former superintendant, to further his own political ambitions, but that's neither here nor there.

From what I've been told, was that Ohio was the only state using that color of gray on a patrol car, so Ford was going to discontinue that particular color, unless of course Ohio wanted to pay the hefty price tag to continue to have their patrol cars painted that color.... Ohio opted to not pay the price tag and just start using a color that was readily available, so they went with white.

To me, whenever there were still gray cars in the fleet, I always found it easier to see a gray cruiser with yellow reflective decals at night rather than a white cruiser with silver reflective decals.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Johnny_Law said:
Other than the pictures that have been shared here, sorry, I don't have any links...... Funny that you mention that thing to do with Frank Vasquez..... That, IMO, was purely political posturing by a former superintendant, to further his own political ambitions, but that's neither here nor there.

From what I've been told, was that Ohio was the only state using that color of gray on a patrol car, so Ford was going to discontinue that particular color, unless of course Ohio wanted to pay the hefty price tag to continue to have their patrol cars painted that color.... Ohio opted to not pay the price tag and just start using a color that was readily available, so they went with white.

To me, whenever there were still gray cars in the fleet, I always found it easier to see a gray cruiser with yellow reflective decals at night rather than a white cruiser with silver reflective decals.

NC runs grey.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I personally think the white looks better anyway. You start getting away from that into specialized custom colors and it becomes a PITA. My Agency has, at last count, vehicles that are four different shades of silver because the Chief likes that color instead of white. Sigh.

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Johnny_Law said:

Johnny law.. I was told the same thing by a Trp. friend. And they did save money by not painting a special Color.. same as Ohio turnpkie and their yellow trucks .. special paint means extra money

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.