Picked up old ambulance today

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
squad 8.JPG squad 82.JPG
Picked up a 1997 Ford E350 / Horton today for a thousand bucks. It has whelen advantedge with 2 rotators 5 strobes. All the body lights are whelen 900 LED, and the siren is a 295SL100.

My dept has an older Horton still in service as a reserve, so the plan is to put the Leds on that truck along with some of the little Horton stuff that its missing.

Anyone ever remove a ambulance box from the frame? I plan on taking off and set it behind garage and use it as a storage shed. Hopefully can part some stuff out and scrap the chassis and cab. The ambulance co retired the truck due to high miles (414,000) 7.3!!! of course!!!and the tranny is about shot.

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
OLD? We still run a 1997 E350/Osage as our first out Rescue, just got back from a run in a a little bit ago actually. Not near those miles though, only 100K on it. All halogen lighting as well. That rig looks real nice for the usage it's seen!

Reactions: FCV96

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Great deal. Our ambulance for the first responder is one of those Ford Econoline Type II that's still old enough to have those huge square sealed beam headlights. The hospital has newer stuff though and ours is intended more for stabilizing, though we can transport.

Reactions: FCV96

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Should come off pretty easy with a lift, a torch, and a whole bunch of help to get it behind the house... with that kind of mileage most of your body mounts will require the torch... I think it would be awesome to be able to have some lights still on the box in the yard.... that could be an awesome man town!!

Reactions: zakovermyer

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I completely gutted the interior of the box. Horton boxes are built very very well, I knew they were good before this but after gutting it was cool to see how it was put together. Torched the mounts off the frame and was able to lift the box off the frame about 2 inches. Going to have to get a bobcat in to lift it off and into place. Or 10 friends but with the way they drink beer renting a bobcat might be cheaper, lol.

Would be a sweet man cave. Neighbor has a little girl and she came over and was like you need to put a couch in this and have a clubhouse.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
...Torched the mounts off the frame and was able to lift the box off the frame about 2 inches...
2 inches is a good amount of room to get under there. Consider this...
Drive the vehicle so the box is sitting above where you want to plant it. Shove a couple pipes, beams, or whatever metal you can get under the box. Jack it up and drive the frame out from under it. Put the new frame (maybe cinder blocks) under the box frame and lower your jacks. Pull the pipes, beams, or whatever steel out. Consider getting some anchor straps like under manufactured homes so you can anchor it to the ground and fight wind.

If you do this, have someone watch! Accidents do happen.

Edit: Looking at the original pics, this sits pretty low. You may be able to pull this off with just jacks and blocks.

thefiredogg

May 21, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
was a pain in the butt but I was able to get it up and off frame today. have to move it back where I want it but for now it is what it is.

Attachments

• life 2.jpg
    life 2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Life 1.jpg
    Life 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: StEaLtH2

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Those chrome simulators on the tires are worth more than the frame and cab.... brand new a set can be around 400 bucks.. selling those used will put some quick coin in your pocket

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Curious how this goes.. Will be watching. Side note: I'm from Hancock County where LIFE was based. Looks like it says Greenfield, IN underneath the LIFE emblem. I live about 20 min from their old base.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.