Picking the Correct Size/Type Wire

Alec R

Sep 9, 2014
eLightbars
What type of wire should be used to install equipment? What size (AWG) should be used? How to determine AMP draw? 

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Twisted wire for mobile installations. rate the wire for 125% of the load it will be pulling.

solid wire for house or "non mobile" installations

include larger gauge wire for longer runs.

discussion over... :D

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Twisted wire for mobile installations.
I think you mean "stranded" wire. Twisted would be two or more insulated conductors like this:

awww.technologyuk.net_telecommunications_networks_images_utp.gif

(This particular cable has two twisted pairs.) Twisted could be made up of either stranded or solid wire, but stranded is much more common.

Stranded wire is made up of multiple conductors in a single bundle like this:

aimg.directindustry.com_images_di_photo_g_isolated_electrical_wire_flexible_pvc_7083_4360269.jpg

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
What's the best thing to tell someone why you don't use stereo wire for light installs. He wants to use 8 gauge wire called Audiopipe. It's stranded wire with more of a gel coating.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
What's the best thing to tell someone why you don't use stereo wire for light installs. He wants to use 8 gauge wire called Audiopipe. It's stranded wire with more of a gel coating.
You're going to install it in a motor vehicle. It needs to be heat and oil resistant. It also needs jacketing that is tougher than a gel coating.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
You're going to install it in a motor vehicle. It needs to be heat and oil resistant. It also needs jacketing that is tougher than a gel coating.
That's exactly what I told him and he said he will only use it interior. [emoji16]

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I'm pretty certain it's CCA (copper-clad aluminum) wire, which has lower current capacity than copper and is prone to failure at crimped connections. The insulation is soft vinyl that's excessively thick. And why does you friend need 8 AWG for interior wiring???

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
That's exactly what I told him and he said he will only use it interior. [emoji16]
Then I'd tell him that he supplies the wire at his cost, your price remains the same, and he accepts the job with NO WARRANTY and releases you from all liability in writing. Just because it's interior doesn't mean that it might not be exposed to heat or chemicals. And if it's interior only, how is he getting juice from the battery to the interior?

I normally don't take jobs like this. If the customer thinks he knows so much about installs that he's going to tell me to use inappropriate wire, I just move on. It's not worth the hassle of a call back or worse.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
It's always a good habit to wire heavier than you need, that way should the situation ever arise you are prepared to adapt

QuincyC

May 23, 2016
Rockport, MA
Okay so use 14 gauge wire and run a wire with inline fuse from the battery to the 4200 mini, Visor and Stick lights then run the outputs from the 4200 mini to the positive on the T3's/Dashlight and the Brown (Activate wire) on the Lightbars? Is it okay to use a lesser gauge on the outputs coming off the controller?

Is it okay if the 2 gauges of wire don't match up? I think the wires coming off the devices are of lesser gauge. (Looks like 18 gauge)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.