Pictures of Highlighter with extra lights? F/R flashers?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I know I have seen pictures of the Federal Signal Highlighter with more lights inside than just two rotators.. somewhere!

I seem to recall a bar with a clear dome, two rotator filters, and two dome cover kits that go in the center, with a front flasher and a rear flasher.

Does anyone have any photos of a setup similar to this? Does anyone know more about this than I do? Any help would be appreciated!

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I had one or 2 like that; basically all it was - was a dull finish stationary reflector (like in the Aerodynic wrecker bars) in the front/middle & middle/rear hooked to an FA3 flasher.

I have 2 of the blue center dome covers as well - I mentioned those to you the other day I believe - but, 1 goes over each center; front &/or rear.

shues said:
I know I have seen pictures of the Federal Signal Highlighter with more lights inside than just two rotators.. somewhere!

I seem to recall a bar with a clear dome, two rotator filters, and two dome cover kits that go in the center, with a front flasher and a rear flasher.

Does anyone have any photos of a setup similar to this? Does anyone know more about this than I do? Any help would be appreciated!

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
ChargerLighting said:
I had one or 2 like that; basically all it was - was a dull finish stationary reflector (like in the Aerodynic wrecker bars) in the front/middle & middle/rear hooked to an FA3 flasher.
I have 2 of the blue center dome covers as well - I mentioned those to you the other day I believe - but, 1 goes over each center; front &/or rear.

You sold that to me years ago! They also made that bar with rectangular reflectors, same as the vector alley/td lights.

I think it was Eric who had a al-spec one, red/blue filters, steady center red and rear amber flasher

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I love it!

So does it have an amber flasher in back? (Cali also requires a flashing amber light in back)

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Eric on the old board (the guy with every FedSig light under the sun...) had a Cali-spec one, but his had a clear dome, red and blue filters on the rotators, a steady red to the front with a dome filter and a flashing amber to the rear with a dome filter. I had never seen the dome filters before; they weren't like rotator filters. They went the full height of the clear dome. Definitely a unique light but I don't really see the point; Cali doesn't have POVs and most agencies don't use minibars as primary lighting.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
My state's DOT makes extensive use of the Highlighter with either clear domes and amber or red dome covers (center dome filter) and even amber domes with red dome covers.

However, I have never seen any with stationary lights or rotator filters in use.

nerdly_dood said:
I love it!

So does it have an amber flasher in back? (Cali also requires a flashing amber light in back)

Actually, California does not REQUIRE a flashing amber rear light.

VC 25252: The only REQUIRED light is a steady burning forward-facing red lamp visible at 1000 feet. Additional red lamps MAY be displayed in any direction (exact wording in the section at the link below).

VC 25252.5: Gives authorization for alternately flashing headlights (wig-wags).

VC 25258: Provides legality for Traffic Preemption devices and Peace Officer's blue lights.

VC 25259: Provides legality for amber and white lighting for all emergency vehicles. The operative word in this section is MAY.

California relies heavily on the words MAY and SHALL in their statutes (look at 25257 (b)1, the school bus section. MAY and SHALL are used in the same paragraph). VC 25252 is the only SHALL in the emergency vehicle lighting statutes. Read down through this chapter of the Vehicle Code. California is very strict on lighting, including amber. Technically by the letter of the law, even amber lights are not legal unless specified in this chapter. In reality, most of the time it isn't strictly enforced, but some traffic officers are more anal than others about it. I was never that anal about it unless they were being abused. The link below takes you to the 25250 section of the California Vehicle Code (CVC or VC).

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg ... n=retrieve

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I coulda sworn California required amber to the rear... Every police car here that has lights with colored lenses (aka not newer LED lights) has amber lights visible to the rear.

Virginia makes it simpler and organizes regulations by color, not by vehicle type/use.

nerdly_dood said:
I coulda sworn California required amber to the rear... Every police car here that has lights with colored lenses (aka not newer LED lights) has amber lights visible to the rear.

They are common practice, but they are not required by statute. Almost every emergency vehicle in the state has some kind of amber light to the rear, but not every one. My last department's motorcycles had only red and blue to the rear...personally I thought there should be amber, but hey, they didn't ask me... LOL

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I think there should be a FEDERAL LAW to settle all this stuff. Blue lights in one state mean police so you must pull over, in another they mean it's a firefighter POV so you only have to pull over if you feel like being nice; amber is (or isn't?) required in some states... it's too confusing! Should be, red lights facing forward on all emergency vehicles, amber lights facing back on all emergency vehicles, blue lights facing forward and back on law enforcement, optional on fire/EMT vehicles. If you want me to type out what I'd like the law to be for the whole country, send me a PM and i'll codify my opinion.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
philyumpshus said:
Eric on the old board (the guy with every FedSig light under the sun...) had a Cali-spec one, but his had a clear dome, red and blue filters on the rotators, a steady red to the front with a dome filter and a flashing amber to the rear with a dome filter. I had never seen the dome filters before; they weren't like rotator filters. They went the full height of the clear dome. Definitely a unique light but I don't really see the point; Cali doesn't have POVs and most agencies don't use minibars as primary lighting.
thanks for the kind words, but i wish i had every light. collecting is my passion and it never seems to end, lol. here is a pic of the highlighter i have.

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_mini_lightbars015.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
ERIC6913 said:
thanks for the kind words, but i wish i had every light. collecting is my passion and it never seems to end, lol. here is a pic of the highlighter i have.
ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_mini_lightbars015.jpg

That is exactly what I was looking for. Very cool!! Thanks for posting.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
In CA you only need one steady red foward . I have seen Unmarked PD units with one steady red and wig wags thats it. Only PD can have Blue . PD most times has Blue/Amber on one side to the back.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
That highlighter's pretty sweet.

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
Now I finally know what my lenses that I've had in the far corner of the shop are for! I picked up a clear Highlighter and had to try them out. Here are the results:

alh4.ggpht.com__Me_ixj0CJqc_TCqpzZvY7CI_AAAAAAAAAII_a7VpQ2_ogIc_s800_highlighter1.jpg

alh6.ggpht.com__Me_ixj0CJqc_TCqp16HcdnI_AAAAAAAAAIQ_izzAVzZfSz4_s800_highlighter2.jpg

alh3.ggpht.com__Me_ixj0CJqc_TCqp0pTCpyI_AAAAAAAAAIM_46PNwGeTWeg_s800_highlighter3.jpg

alh5.ggpht.com__Me_ixj0CJqc_TCqp3SOBleI_AAAAAAAAAIY_hv75CmxIUUg_s800_highlighter4.jpg

I have a bunch of red and blues of these filters. I'm interested in trades if anyone has any of these in amber, or red rotator filters. Here's the filters some brand new in boxes (red only), and some brand new in bags (red and blue).

alh6.ggpht.com__Me_ixj0CJqc_TCqp4_Y41SI_AAAAAAAAAIc_lWfCy5NBDzU_s800_highlighterfilters.jpg

wolfman

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
ERIC6913 said:
your welcome. FYI, these stationary lights are the same ones as found in vector series lightbars.

That's good to know... I have a couple of those lying around the shop, too. I guess I'll have to put them in the highlighter and see how they look.

wolfman

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
ERIC6913 said:
FYI, these stationary lights are the same ones as found in vector series lightbars.

I messed up... I just sold all of my vector parts, including a dozen of those stationary lights.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
wolfman said:
That's not gonna be good - the diagonal mirror will reflect the blue rotator through the red filter, which will totally ruin it. (I'd like to see it done, just to see what it does, but it couldn't be bright)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The only way these will work properly with a cover on front and back, and a mirror, is with 2 clear rotators. With 2 center reflectors, either steady burn or flashing, you can use rotator filters on either or both rotators.

Dan

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Indiana Highway Department trucks use two Highlighters with amber domes with center filters to the rear. It gives them 2 flashes of amber and 1 flash of (something close to) red to the rear.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
teh us forest service fire fighting trucks used the highlighters that were equipped with flashers also, red coner filter to the front and amber to the rear. you might seacrh for pics there, most of the brush trucks/ engines had these in my area, the crew transports always just had a 9x7 amber flasher

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
I had one like this for my POV in SC. I customized it- clear dome, red filters on the rotators (fast) red center filter with a TCL to the front, amber filter to the rear with a single flasher.

Got alot of compliments, considering everyone else was running the old single dashmisers or single dash lasers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.