Police Impala questions

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
My new dept has 4 Impalas (07-09, I believe) for patrol and they are lacking in the warning light department. They all have full liberty's with depopulated (4 led) heads but no HLF/TLF. Someone said the dept ordered the cheapest cars they could find and they didn't come with built in flashers, but I thought all police package Impalas came with them. Anyone know which is correct?

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
You may or may not have to install a headlight flasher, depending on how the car was ordered. Its very easy to install one. Several manufacturers make a Impala specific flasher that is plug n play. And in the wire harness coiled up in the passenger floorboard, there is I believe a green wire with red stripe that activates the flasher. It will make the headlights flash, as well as the brake/backup lights flash. If you want to isolate the front from the rear, you have to do a little more work by cutting one of the wires, I cant remember which one off hand, and it has to be connected to a ground enabled switch to make the brake/backup lights flash. The rear lights are controlled by the BCM in the car. Applying 12v to that cut wire will damage the car.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
"green wire with red stripe that activates the flasher. It will make the headlights flash, as well as the brake/backup lights flash. If you want to isolate the front from the rear"

Correct.

If the car was ordered with option 6J7, that wire should be located tucked under the pass dash or below the pass carpet/rubber flooring. If it also flashes the tail lights, call Kerr for instructions how to wire in a relay to seperate the 2 functions.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
CHIEFOPS said:
"green wire with red stripe that activates the flasher. It will make the headlights flash, as well as the brake/backup lights flash. If you want to isolate the front from the rear"

Correct.

If the car was ordered with option 6J7, that wire should be located tucked under the pass dash or below the pass carpet/rubber flooring. If it also flashes the tail lights, call Kerr for instructions how to wire in a relay to seperate the 2 functions.

Cool, thanks guys. I will check when I go back in tonight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.