Police Interceptor Utility Hatch Lighting

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
What lightheads work well recessed into the rear hatch of a Interceptor Utility? I want to put two LED heads in the bottom of my hatch so that I don't loose all my rear warning when the hatch is open. I see that there is a grommet mount option for the Whelen IONs but the grommet looks pretty thick and I'm not sure if the hatch would be able to be closed.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Whelen ion also now has a super thin version.
Other options: axixtech/brookings ST6, SNM (they have 2-3 slim options), Nova SD24, SOS recessed lights (nforce, ghost, 6" oval). The Nova is overpriced IMO, but the axixtech & SNM options are budget-friendly options for thin lights

Reactions: Blake

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Whelen ion also now has a super thin version.
Other options: axixtech/brookings ST6, SNM (they have 2-3 slim options), Nova SD24, SOS recessed lights (nforce, ghost, 6" oval). The Nova is overpriced IMO, but the axixtech & SNM options are budget-friendly options for thin lights
Wow! I really like the ST6. I thought the only option was to recess mount the lightheads because you couldn't get anything surface mounted that thin.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Does anybody know if it would be safe to mount a pair of ST6s in the bottom of rear hatch without a tilt switch? I am planning on wiring a pair of ST6s into the same switch as my rear window lights. This means the ST6s would be on when the hatch is closed. The only issue I can think of is overheating.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
We do this quite often in my shop, and everyone loves it... the Brooking st6 fits nicely, and we use a pin switch on the rear hatch to activate the lights.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
ST-6's fit as do SOS MPowers. I would consider four lights as well. Don't have a pic but if you look to the "inside" of the brake lights, there is a black plastic section. You can mount two on the hatch bottom and one on each side for some awesome rear warning. I've used MPowers for this with great luck.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
We do this quite often in my shop, and everyone loves it... the Brooking st6 fits nicely, and we use a pin switch on the rear hatch to activate the lights.

How do you mount the pin switch? Every pin switch I've ever used is designed to ground through the body. Do you have it switch the power directly or do you use a relay?

Would it be safe to not use a pin switch or tilt switch at all? Could the lightheads overheat if they're left on while the hatch is closed?

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
When the hatch is closed, the pin switch is open, when the hatch lifts, the pin switch makes the ground connection, and powers the lights.... as far as over heating goes.... not sure, but I am sure it's not healthy for the light..I also usually power the light separate from what ever controller we are using for the rest of the vehicle so even if the rest of the lighting is off, and the ignition is on, the hatch lights will still come on.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
On our suburban we hav vertex mounted between the door itself, and the plastic shrouding. They are constantly on, when stage 1 of our slider is initiated. It's this way on 2 tahoes, and 2 suburbans, and has been that way since 2011, without any overheating issues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.